Dairy cow on dry lot?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by farm mom, Dec 3, 2006.

1. farm mom

farm mom Well-Known Member

Can you keep a dairy cow on a dry lot? I have been searching for info. on this and haven't been able to find an answer. We live in high desert country and do not have irrigation right now for pasture. We have horses and have had dairy goats in the past. We would really prefer a dairy cow as we like cow milk better. How much feed would one use up? Thank you!

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

They do it all the time here - 'here' being Arizona. ALL the dairy's that I know of here the cows are on a dry lot.

Not sure on the feed question - sorry. I'm sure it depends on the breed - had a holstein nurse cow once that ate us out of house and home! She had four calves on her, though.

Niki

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I have been raising one to 2 steers at a time on basically nothing but on a dry lot. I buy all my hay,, feed hay, and LOTS of grain, all year round. So sure it can be done, nothing to it.

4. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

My gal (holstein) was on a dry lot. I fed her according to what I had always read which is 3% of body weight a day. For her that meant about 40 # of hay and a scoop of grain in the am and a scoop in the pm. She was either being milked or in the last two months of gestation, so I gave her grain twice a day all year. This did not count endless treats (windfall apples, pumpkins, corn after harvest, and the twice daily fix of two graham crackers). There are people who know a whole lot more than me, but that is what I did.

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

our cow and calf together eat 2 round bales of hay a month. Plus grain... right now our cow is eating 100 pounds a week and the calf 50 pounds a week but we are going to cut the grain amount in half during the winter, I think because we will dry up the cow pretty soon. WE are weaning the 6 month old calf right now (hes been bottle fed until now. He is getting a half gallon twice a day and will decrease that to a half gallon once a day.) I have no idea whether we are doing right or wrong with the milk and grain but that is what we are going to be doing.

the cow is Jersey and the calf is Brown Swiss.