Dairy/Angus Heifer for sale in MO.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ozark_jewels, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Holly is a Dairy/Angus cross heifer who should be bred to our Jersey bull, Lee. We are selling Holly, because with three milking cows and two Jersey heifers due next spring, we simply don't need another milk cow. She is very tame and will eat absolutely anything out of your hand. She is a huge fan of fruit and crackers but inhales the ocassional slice of bannana cake or popsicle as well. She loves to be petted and scratched behind the ears. She allows anyone to touch her udder and should make a good milk cow after she freshens. She is Holstien/Jersey on her mothers side and Angus on her sires side. This hiefer doesn't spook at *anything*, she is the most laid back heifer I've ever been around. She is around two years old and should be bred for a spring calf. We can have the vet do a preg-check at buyers expense if they so request. Holly was raised by us as a bottle calf from a few weeks of age. She is healthy and has not had any problems except for a bout of pinkeye as a calf which left her with a tiny blue spot in one eye which doesn't impair her vision in any way. Here she is about two months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And she should be bred to our young Jersey herdsire, Hercules, or Lee for short. Here is Lee.

[​IMG]

Asking $750 for Holly. We are located in Southern Missouri near Mountain Grove. You can e-mail me at fourreal@getgoin.net
    Thank you!

2. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

Exactly what I want, and exactly in our price range. So why do you have to be so far awaaaaaaaaay from SD?? :Bawling:

~Lannie

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Emily - Is that an error? Would think a heifer like that would be worth more than $750? One week old Holstein Heifer calves are bringing $550 - $650 up in WI. JMHO, I think you deserve a little better pay for your two years of work.

4. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

$650 for a grade holstein calf and I think about a month ago you said pigs were $1 a lb.
    Whats wrong up there????? The border to the north must still be closed.
    What is a springer bringing?????????
    The only way you getting $650 around here is with a on site sale and with production records from the mom.
    Just cause a auction calf looks like a holstein does not mean it will produce like a holstein.

Really though $750 might be a little low but not much. She would sell better with the calf at her side around here.

I find that baby calves sell for much more than they are worth compaired to springers. Something about the crowd. Seems everyone wants and can afford a calf; but only dairy men want springers. You can also see this in yearlings because they usually sell them in groups.
    The week end calf raiser can not afford to bid when they are being sold in lots of 6 to 10 so a yearling sells for not much more than a bottle calf.
    In fact if I ever got back into buying calves that is what I would do. Buy yearlings. A lot less stress; losses; for the same profit.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

John, here's an example from Oct. 3, 2006:

Central Livestock Association
    Zumbrota, MN

Dairy Cattle - 299 Head
    Holstein Springing Heifers: 1,050-1650 per head: FANCY Holstein Springing Heifers: 1675-1935 per head.
    Holstein Springing Cows: 850 to 1535 per head; Fresh and milking Holsteins 725 to 1150
    Open Holstein Heifers, under 600 lbs, 160 to 265 cwt
    Open Holstein heifers, over 600 lbs, 90 to 140 cwt
    Holstein Breeding Bulls: Up to 700 per head
    Market Cows: 35.00 to 60.00 cwt
    Market Bulls: 54.00 to 60.50 cwt

From the WI Department of Agriculture, week ending Sept. 29:
    Replacement Holstein Heifer Calves Trend -Steady, Demand-Good
    90-120 lbs. -450-650
    From the Reedsville Market, Oct. 3:
    Holstein Heifer Calves - Up to 700
    Lomira Market, Oct. 4:
    Holstein Heifer Calves - 300-690

As for the pigs, $1.00/lb is only on feeder pigs(40-60 lbs.) That has bounced from .90 to $1.00 for quite a spell.

Now Emily's Heifer is not a Holstein, and wouldn't bring a Holstein price.
    But in Missouri where there is a lot of grazing dairies, they might appreciate a medium sized crossbred with the heat tolerance from the Jersey.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That's a very good price for a nice family milk cow... any closer and she would be SOLD to a Tennessee woman looking for nurse cows :)

7. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

If you were any closer she would have a NC home.

8. ozark_jewels

Yes, the price in this area for heifers like Holly is a bit higher than we have her priced. I wish we could get WI. prices!! :) We priced her a bit lower in the hopes that a homesteading type family can afford her and she will go to a home where she will be useful and loved. I know sometimes the market value of a cow is a bit more than the average country family can pay...
    Anyway, that is why she is priced as she is. I think she will make someone a good milk cow or a dual purpose either way. We milked a Jersey/Angus for several years, then sold her to a friend who says she still raises the best calf in his Angus herd every year and she is 12 now..... :)

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Emily did you get my PM?

10. ozark_jewels

Yep, just read it!