Daily schedule

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jul 26, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I am curious whether people here have strict daily schedules and, if not, how do you arrange your days?

I don't, as the requirements of my day vary according to what's going on --- and there's ALWAYS something unexpected going on. :rolleyes:

Now, I do have weekly schedules --- two mornings a week, for example, I pay bills, go through paperwork and receipts, and try to figure out ways to cut expenses and bring in more cash. And there are certain things I do daily (feed critters, stare at the fencing which needs to be fixed, things like that).

However, instead of a strict schedule, I have *ongoing projects* :D .

With my ongoing projects right now being: tearing down the old goat barn two panels a day at a time :yeeha: ; getting rid of the established and huge wild grapevines; cutting down the weed trees I can tackle with a bowsaw before pulling out the big guns (sawzall :yeeha: ); building a raised bed for iris, lilies and flowers up front from old posts, and old straw and hay, and building another raised bed a little farther up front for my old fashioned lilacs and more flowers. These are things I work on every day, will continue to work on every day til they're finished and do in addition to the daily stuff (picking up trash and stuff that's worked its way to the surface, mowing, working on stuff for work, etc.)

How do you all schedule your days?

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Schedule? What Schedule? Eeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!! I had a SCHEDULE before my two oldest got out on their own, back when we homeschooled, raised Jack Russells, and show bunnies.. NOW.. forget about it.

My son has a bit of a schedule... Once he gets UP!!! LOL! Just to feed the animals (If I haven't already) then we do some schoolwork.. Some days.. I think of running to Dallas to shop (like today).. but mostly, I just think about it!! :eek:

This Jenny Craig diet is messing up my 'run around' life! Eating every 3 hours or so.. I've purchased some little blue freezie thingys to put in my little ice chest and a few pieces of tupperware (for salad and yogurt!) so I can be mobile if need be. It's an HOUR one way from EVERYWHERE.. so... can't get off my diet just because of THAT!! :):)

Schedule? Pft. :D

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha:

He. Well, truth is, chickflick, I had an unspoken ulterior motive in asking this question: finding out if I'm the only person on the planet who not only doesn't, but can't operate by a schedule.

:cool:

4. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Hmmmm..... I had a schedule once. So I put it on my list to check my schedule each day to see what I was supposed to do. But of course I then had to add that to my schedule, that I was supposed to check my list each day....... :rolleyes:

Let's see? 3 a.m. me and the dog were out in the shed as I finished a new work bench. Went to bed. Up at 6 and checked the garden, picked some veggies, did some chores, and then took a nap. Up at noon and wondering what I'm doing up at this ungodly hour? Felt guilty looking at, so cut down trees in back (that were on my list) to do. :) Took a nap. Did a tune up on the car. Grocery shopping. Dog training in the park. Start "linner". (My mix of late lunch and early dinner.) :)

Now out to build some more raised beds. Then dog training class, before my hot date tonight. (And no, they're NOT related.) :) Then late, late tonight me and the dog have a chainsaw and a couple other things to rebuild. And so on..... Yes, a very strict schedule indeed! :)

Ozarkguy

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ok.. the only fixd list is;
    moring=> wake up. feed horses and cats, then dogs. (in this order they get all upset if you do it different)
    give the little dog his drugs.
    after they eat the last kibble we have to go poop... they insist on it.

while they pop I make some coffee and finds something edible for breakfast and take my drugs.

then I wait for the phone to ring with everyones "I need this done" reports...
    I try to get out of it or make it another day this doenst work but I try.

then I have this all day confusion of doing and going and fixing and fiddling till about 11pm. then we feed the horses cats dogd/drug the little one/go out to poop/make coffee and then tell the dogs its time for bed.
    the prompty take over my bed and arrange my blankets dog fashion for me.
    more often than not someone (female) stops by and ends up crashing in the bed too, so I am sandwiched between a woman and 2 dogs. Its not as fun as it sounds I cant sleep with all these people in my bed...good thing I have 500 channel sat tv..
    so about 5 am the woman goes to work (good girls) the dogs sigh relief they get their pillow back and I can streach out and sleep till 11 ish. then the cycle begins again.
    of late the donkey has discovered he has an 18 inch johnson and he has devenoped an ego to go with it so he chases the old horse around till they end up fighting it out beside my bed-window.. squeeling and brayiong, so i have to go toss them hay and they stop.. i think they have learned this gets early breakfast.
    His testicles are not long for this world... me and the horse are to old to deal with a young stallion disturbing our routine.

other than that there is no predictable structure to the day.
    I'm retired I dont want no stinkin schedule.

6. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm new here, although I've lurked for over a year.

I try to create schedules, usually on Sunday evening, but I find that if I try to
    be really strict on what gets done on what day, it never happens and then I
    feel guilty.

It works better for me if I just have a list of things I'd like to get done this week.
    And still only about half of that happens because other items crop up.

-tonto

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I have routines that I try to follow that handle the ordinary daily things. I try not to be either too rigid or too loose about these routines. Beyond that I use the "to do" lists and try to prioritize as the days or weeks progress. I go by the saying "Life is what happens while you are busy making plans". Sometimes events make what seemed like a huge priority slip into last place. I am grateful that the homesteading lifestyle allows me that flexibility!!

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay. This is how my morning USUALLY goes:

I stumble out of bed, turn on hot water and put coffee in the filter, let dogs out, go on front porch where i inevitably find a skink who inevitably runs behind a plant, peers around the plant at me then panics and runs off, I see what the temperature is and what the skies look like, make a mental note (cool day, run washing machine! hot day, close windows and plan to water), go have a cup of coffee, go look at tomatoes and garden, check email, get 30 emails from Flylady :haha: , go through the 30 emails as fast as possible (WHERE IS YOUR LAUNDRY? run put clothes in the washer WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES? run put tennies on HOT SPOT FIRE PREVENTION!!! run outside with trash bag and look for all the stuff that's risen to the top overnight) then i have another cup of coffee, check the local news to make sure no one's decided to blow the world up :haha: , go to my hound forum, look here to see if there's any particularly contentious threads or interesting bits of information, let dogs back in, let dogs back out, let dogs back in, accomodate several minutes of squealing and snorting from dogs, and if I have to go out of town (which I have to a few times a week), I usually leave ... now.

If I don't have to go out of town, I pull up the stuff I have to do for work, open it on the computer, open the computer chess game, check the weather, decide between: mowing; tearing down the barn :yeeha: ; cutting down weed trees; finishing all the raised beds I've started and walk around outside to see how many frogs leap straight up in the air in front of me.

I then spend the rest of the day alternating madly between all of these things, in-between checking the local news to make sure the rest of the planet is still with us :haha: and there's no tornados headed my direction, nd coming here to see if there's anything of interest.

Around 6 pm, I begin winding down --- I always have to have a stern lecture with myself not to start any new projects that very minute :yeeha: --- I then go through and delete all my Flylady emails except HOT SPOT FIRE PREVENTION!!! and GO SHINE YOUR SINK!!! :yeeha: At 8, during the summer, I take my Benadryl which i have to have in order to keep from having massive allergy attacks. I usually battle the temptation to drop to the floor and fall asleep (a consequence of the allergy meds) and I usually stay up til 10 or 11 wandering around aimlessly thinking about Life and The Universe. And dealing with dog snorting and sqeualing.

9. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Only thing scheduled here is my work schedule. Two days on. Two days off. Three days on. Two days off. Two days on. Three days off. Then it starts all over again.

Days off are open season for whatever comes along, but normally in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 p.m., or at least the kids are.

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I get up in the morning. Yeah. Morning. Get clothes on - we don't care what, as long as I don't get cold. Go milk the goats and deal with the milk. Feed and water the rest of the critters (rabbits, calf, sheep and chickens). Go inside, drink the coffee that Dh has brewed for me before HE deserted me to go to that silly job of his that brings in a paycheck twice a month.

Then I deal with whatever the day has left me...sometimes it's my OWN job (I'm a seamstress) in the basement, other times I get to play in the kitchen or with my spinning wheel, etc. Sometimes I'm just there to break up the fights between me children, bored on a summer day.

After supper, at some point (which I don't necessarily prepare), I have to go milk the goats and deal with the milk again...

That's about the only schedule that I adhere to! As long as the critters get fed within a reasonable timeframe and the goats get milked regularly, I'm happy.

Sarah

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I also have a very strict schedule. I get up when the sun tells me to, and go let the chickens out and feed them. They really hate overcast days!

At sundown, I put the chickens up for the night.

The rest of the time, I'm on my own.

Meg :)

12. boren

boren Well-Known Member

I want your sheduals, unfortunately I seem to keep a very tight shedual to make sure everything gets done:

5:30 get up, get dressed, go to the barn. Move the duck/goose tractor. Start running water. Feed+water young eating ducks. Feed the SA ducks and geese, feed the laying ducks. Refill rabbit water crocks. Feed rabbits. Herd the SA ducks/geese into the tractor. Milk goat. Take 5 gal of water out to the pasture.

By now it's 6:30, so get ready to go to work. Make sure to take the milk out of the freezer before I leave!! Let the ducks out, take the goats out to pasture. Go to work, try and get there before 8am. hahah.

5pm leave work, milk the goat at 6pm.

Have dinner, run/workout/etc. 8, get all the animals locked in the barn, knock the dumb turkeys off their perches on the fence and get them in. Feed everyone, get back inside by 8:30.

Now I can make cheese, relax, fix what broke now, wish for a weekend, etc.

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

ROFL :haha: I have a schedule but I am a hopeless procrastinator, hence I spend a lot of time mowing and thinking :) I always think about God and the Universe....sometimes I wish I didn't. Some things can't be put off. I wake up at 5 or 6- depending on if my insomnia kicked in a 12, 2 or 4, take out the dogs, bring in the cats (yackety yack...) check my reptile room, and feed the animals. If I am lucky I remembered to set the coffee to automatic so I can grab a cup while I do this. When I have time I stand on the porch contemplating the beauty of the morning, more than likely however I just find myself out there in space. The pigs don't care about beauty and I need a shower right after they are fed and watered :) Monday through Thursday this semester I have two classes so I am tied up until 1:30 when I return home. If I have any orders I ship them while I am in town and I buy whatever I need while I am there. My second job has given me permission to work from home so I am on the net (it is a net marketing job essentially) until 5 or 6 but between getting home and quitting time, I wander /wonder aimlessly, play with the snakes, feed the piglets, water the pigs, feed the rabbits, check out all the aminals, etc, etc. surf here on HT :) answer questions about schedules and the Universe and fight off sleep, which will be heavy around 4 (right now :) ). During semester breaks I write in the mornings. My daughter calls me at least 3 times a day to chat :) my partner calls once or twice. My son is on vacation right now so it is lonely at the end of the day. The house is empty and I wish for the weekend. I am in bed reading at 8 usually and asleep and asleep by 9 so when the insomnia kicks in, I will already have slept a few hours. From Friday to Sunday, the house has people, I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I chat with my partner and my children. I care and feed the animals and we build cages, or tear them down as the case may be. At night we settle into a DVD, we've watched 50 times before, with a bucket of buttered popcorn and no intention of sitting quietly. :)

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

OMG! I thought I came from the only family in the universe who did this!

:D :D

Every night! :haha:

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

You've got company :) Do you also recite lines from those movies in conversation, replies, or student criticism? One of my most frequent remarks, "too many notes," comes from Amadeus. It translates into grammar jargon as wordiness :) alas this shows my age. The majority of my students have never heard of Amadeus. :rolleyes: :)

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek:

AMADEUS??

:haha:

Everyone in our entire family ended up having to throw Amadeus out because we were all driving each other crazy watching it ... every night. For years.

With the exception of my most fashionable niece (teenager, of course), who used to walk in the house every night and say "AGAIN?? She was too embarrassed to bring her friends home even, for fear someone would be watching Amadeus AGAIN??

Although when the marathon Apocalypse Now viewing began (shortly after the Amadeus/Lawrence of Arabia twin feature spree), she started sneaking in and watching with everyone else.

She decided we weren't THAT bad once we started watching Fargo whenever there was even the hint of cold weather anywhere in a 500 mile radius and, of course, The Big Lebowski because - well, just because. :haha:

Independence Day, though, I've never quite understood. Although we all seem to find it comforting for some reason. :rolleyes:

17. Independence Day! (the movie, I mean)
    Why would that be comforting--yet that is the one I get out and fall asleep listening to when DH is out of town. Maybe because the voice crying in the wilderness finally does get listened to? I like it up to the escape from DC in Air Force One-after that I'm asleep.

As far as schedules: Thursday is Laundry Day because trash pickup is Friday so between loads of wash I'm cleaning & picking up. Other than that, I'm wandering the Universe with everyone else.
    CW (stickinthemud) currently waiting for DD at the library

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Odd, isn't it? All you really have to do with any of us is put the movie on ... and everyone falls asleep! :D

19. Grandmotherbear here- my schedule is to feed the stomach that walks like a cat whenever she can show me a truly EMPTY dish (most of the time she shows me a dish with stuff in it she has decided is just too yucky for ingestion- tough!) get to work by 8 a.m., throw the laundry in the car on Thursday morning as I'm getting ready for work so I can schlep to the laundromat on the way home - feed the fish sometime before darkness falls/mosquitoes big enough to totally drain all the blood from a human being are out- eagerly await the weekend and Grandfatherbear's arrival.
    I did the schedule thing while the children were small and in girl scouts/boy scouts/softball/tBall and karate. I found it highly unnatural. After all, like somebody said- life is what happens while you are planning something else.
    Speaking of schedules- Tango and all you South Floridians- Schedule in the Harvest Fest 8/14 at Henscratch Farms Grape Upik and vinyard! iN Lake Placid. WONNERFUL funsy place!

20. All the pretty horses!