Daily Journal November 2014 (Everyone is welcome to post.)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by manygoatsnmore, Nov 1, 2014.

1. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't see a new thread started yet, so I decided to get us going. Please post about your day - we all love to read about each others' lives. :)

2. manygoatsnmore

Bumping and asking again for a sticky, please, mods?

Abby's healing well from her dental work - now to work harder on her dental hygiene! Aspies have trouble with that, for some reason, so it's way too easy for her to slip backward. Next up is a filling in December so I'm hoping the dentist will be happy with her progress.

We finally got the a/c unit out of the window today - it was FULL of rain water and I got drenched. Luckily, it was in a bathroom window directly over the tub, so it was easy to drain. I should have removed it in September after the weather started to cool off. Procrastination strikes again! After it finishes drying, I'll have Abby help me carry it out to the shipping container for the winter.

I've been scrubbing buckets and making mylar bags today -still need to finish drying buckets before I can store away the rest of the pantry supplies. I've also been watching you tube vids on crocheting, learning the stitches for the baby blanket. So far I'm only working with cheap practice yarn - not ready to tackle the actual blanket yet!

3. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Back at work this morning, as I was yesterday. Eating oatmeal now, but the boss said he had donuts. Fixing to make a fresh pot of coffee. Not much else going on.

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for starting thread, MGM- I never took a break yesterday!
    Travis, wait till you hear what happened with the TV..
    Started with a leisurely breakfast and then I remembered the TV. Thursday)The attempted reboot hadn't worked, so we drove it up to Avon Park. The young man (maybe 45?) in the shop said the same thing you did, Travis, Cheaper to buy a new one, or even cheaper to buy this one he had handy he'de gotten at a yard sale for $25 and fixed- he'd let us have it for $75. I said "well, GFB doesn't deal well with change". After much jawing GFB said, well, we could take a look at your TV- guy plugged it in and nada. Nothing whatsoever happened. He had the grace to be a little embarrassed and we finally got him to agree to examine the TV for a $25 "estimation fee". From there we went to lunch at a local real Mexican tacquero- we found years back by noticing a whole batch of short brown people.(ethnic S.A. are mostly short around here) But it's no longer our little secret- they finally had bi lingual menus printed- both Spanish and English. They have WONDERFUL food. Afterwards we went into the bodega side of the place and I got some dried corn for my experiment- I hope to make hominy with slaked lime next week. Unfortunately, had a pretty bad asthma attack next, so GFB took me home to rest and he went back to get the TV, he came back chuckling. The guy had opened up the TV to check it out and it was DIRTY! the insides were full of dust and he cleaned it out and it worked fine! He also refused to take any more money than his $25 " estimation fee". GFB wanted to go out for dinner but I was so sick all I wanted was a piece of toast.

Yesterday We bought more manure and I worked in the garden. I have a knife with a 9 inch blade I use to cut the weeds and dig around their roots. Have I mentioned that the weeds in S Central FL can be as thick as my 2 index fingers put together and stand taller than my head? In addition, a lot of shepherds purse, with their needle like stickers. I weeded a large amount, and then amended the soil in the pots, and transplanted: Cauliflowers, sage, thyme, and spaghetti squash. Also seeded parsnips.
    Too exhausted for cooking dinner yesterday so GFB did get in his trip to Goldn Corral.
    We've decided to put in 1 more day at the lake so I can do somemore weeding and now I have to go help GFB put flea stuff on the kitties..

5. Travis in Louisiana

I am glad the TV thing worked out. Not everyday you get those type deals!!

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I need to check our TVs - dust in our house seems to proliferate at alarming speed and I am not a good duster!

Friday I took off early and got my haircut. It feels so much better now, I think I lost a pound of hair!
    Ate lunch with DD, took pics of oldest granddaughter in her costume and brought DGS home with me so he wouldn't be alone at their house during Halloween Friday night. He had fun here, since his latest game came in the mail anyway.

We got up yesterday, bathed, dressed and ate breakfast. We left around 11:30 to deliver popcorn, bags & popcorn seasoning to Norman HS for the Fall pow-wow the AISA kids were hosting.
    Headed to DD's house and let her run errands until it was time to p/u DGS's friend for their Laser Tag fun at Hey Day. It was part of his birthday gift and they had a blast. I sat in the restaurant while they played in the Arcade and did two sessions of Laser Tag. The cost included a small pizza for each of them, so their Moms didn't have to feed them dinner.

I planned to drop by the Jacobson House for an art opening, on the way home, but there was no where to park. They had a full house and I was tired anyway, so I just headed home.
    I loved getting that extra hour of sleep this morning and it's been a leisurely day so far. I've been reading and checking messages from friends and family.
    DH just got up, so I'm fixing bacon and biscuits this morning. I need to plan a few dinners for this week and I think soup is in order, since it's cold and windy.

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!!

7. manygoatsnmore

Hi, all! Knowing the time change was coming, I had waited to reset the kitchen appliances, whose clocks went off when the power went off last month. Today, I got them changed. Still need to do the SUV, but will do that next time I have to go to town, Monday the 10th.

I rewashed the buckets I washed yesterday - with the a/c unit dripping in the tub, I didn't do a good job on the outsides of the buckets. Now they look really good, and fit to hold my sugar, popcorn, whole corn, etc. I have the popcorn stowed away - found it takes a 5 gallon bucket, one gallon jar, quart and pint jar to hold 50#, for anyone who cares, lol. I'm still working on the sugar, being somewhat handicapped by lack of lids to match the pickle buckets. I'm having to get inventive, but I'll get it figured out. I still have 50# more to store. I can put it in mylar bags in the buckets and use lids that don't quite fit right, but I'd rather have the proper lids. Then I still have 100# of whole corn to put in buckets and 25# of salt. I think that will finish it all. Feeling good about my pantry stores. :)

Now I'm off to start defrosting my upright freezer again. I hate how fast it frosts up. Wish I'd bought 2 of the chest freezers when I had a chance. I have to get it done, though, as I have 40# of chicken breasts coming on the 10th, and I think that Winco might have a good price on turkeys this year. Seems like every other year they have a super sale on them, and this is the year, or at least I have hopes.

Still working on crochet stitches...my main problem is that I lose count too easily. ADD strikes again. :rolleyes:

I think my last broody hen gave up on those eggs she's been setting on - it's been long enough that I'm sure they are duds. I'm not too upset about it, though...it's getting late in the year for raising chicks, and I have more than enough replacement pullets and cockerels that need to go to freezer or canner camp. All that adolescent crowing, while entertaining at the moment, is going to be really annoying soon!

Well, better get back to work...lots to do today. :)

8. Grandmotherbear

MGM are you buying your chicken breasts thru Zaycon Foods?:bandwagon: That's supposed to be a truckload, not a bandwagon...
    Yesterday I cleared more garden, planted more parsnips, golden beets and purple podded pole beans.
    Dug out the electric blanket for the last few nights. Those have definitely been 3 cat nights! It's nice in the sun but chilly in the shade. Been very blustery. Had to break out my TENS unit last night- 45 minutes for the back, and 45 minutes for the left wrist. GFB did research for his work, and also chopped down an oak thicket(chest high) that had sprouted in the midst of where I had been raising Malabar spinach in the summer and English peas in the winter. It was shading an area I wanted to move pots to, to get them from the all-day shade of the loofa trellis and the katuk. Now I've moved the pots away from the road and the seedings will get 6-8 hours sun. I also ordered crosnes (Chinese artichokes perennial) and dioscorea alata. GFB dug up 2 airpotatoes while chopping down the oaks, and the leaves were too badly insect chewed to tell if it was alata or bulbifera. Bulbifera is the toxic one. Have done a little more research on the web. The yams had angled stems, but the bulbils (aerial tubers) I remember from this summer were round and brown, which is bulbifera. Now discovered that alata's leaves are paired, so I will go pull the vines out of the burn pile and check leaf placement.Back to the city today, just in time for tomorrow's election.

9. OUVickie

GMB - I don't know how you keep up with all the plants you have. I'm amazed at the variety of things you have planted and I learn so much just by reading your posts!!

It's extremely windy and overcast today. I can feel the rain moving in. It's supposed to really storm heavy this evening and over night. I managed to drag my rear off the couch yesterday and get plastic put around the south end of the house. I need to add about 10 more feet, but at least I got the west side and SW corner covered before it gets cold.
    I'm thinking about placing straw bales around the base, where the wind can get through. At least that would keep it warmer under the house until the foundation gets fixed.

I did laundry, read and managed to make soft tacos for dinner, but I was pretty tired and didn't get much else done after that.

I attended some training this morning for one of our new network monitoring tools, but this isn't something I'm going to be using like the others will, so I came into the office after lunch. No one else will be here, other than me, for two days and we have deliveries coming in. It will be nice and quiet for a bit anyway.

DH is completely stressed out over the mess one of their business partners made of the books. Fortunately the guy quit, so they won't have to put up with it getting worse, but he sure left them in a hole.
    Time to tighten up even more on the budget and pray they get the business straightened up. It's times like these I'm glad we don't have car payments and such to worry about. Especially with the Holidays just around the corner.

Have a great evening, everyone!!

10. Travis in Louisiana

The toilet sent me a text message at 6:46 this morning, saying it was thirsty. So after watering the toilet, I went back to sleep till 9 this morning. Took Father-in-law to his bank and then Walmart. I also went to Home Depot. Got home and put the wife's pottery wheel together. One of the granddaughters was staying with us today, since school was out for a teachers meeting. I then went to the shop and sanded on the log spindles for the slide gate for the crib. I also welded up the handles, for the latches, for the slide gate. I used the crank handle for the jack, that was in my 1978 GMC pickup. The truck has long been gone, but I still had the jack, which is frozen and will not jack up. This was the truck I had when the wife and I got married. I flipped the truck over in 1982. It was my first new truck. I am at work tonight and tomorrow night. You all stay dry!! Time for coffee!!

11. manygoatsnmore

GMB, yes, Zaycon! I've heard lots of good things about them, and for 1.99/# for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I'm giving them a try. I have the freezer defrosted and ready, and the Foodsaver and bag rolls, as well as cookie sheets to freeze them individually before I package them, so I think I'm set. The were originally supposed to come last week, but delivery was rescheduled for Nov 10th.
    Travis, you're so funny - toilet text! :facepalm: The crib is coming right along. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
    Vickie, being debt-free is such a blessing, isn't it? Hope everything gets straightened out with the books and business. Also hope you don't get blown away or flooded out!

MGM's got her mojo back! I started with driving in to mail my ballot and stopped at my mailbox to get several day's worth of mail. I decided to take a few minutes to wipe off the mailbox - it was growing MOSS on the north side, lol. It doesn't look perfect, but considering that I wiped it off with maple leaves and a couple paper napkins and rinsed it with a bottle of water, I didn't think it looked so bad. Anything was an improvement!

I picked up some rotten wood and branches that had come down on my fence on the way home - threw them in the back of the SUV, and then brought them in to dry when I got home. I also brought in a load of wood for the hearth, and was alarmed to see how low my wood supply is already. I could have sworn I had more wood in the sheds. Now cutting firewood has moved WAY up my to-do list. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow, so my plan is to get out in the woods with Abby and get some standing dead wood cut down and hauled to the woodsheds. I have a bunch of rounds to split, too. They are dry, at least.

I got busy and worked hard on the house today - I defrosted the upright freezer yesterday and got everything back in it and organized. Today I got the fridge cleaned and reorganized. Unfortunately I found a lot of stuff that had to be tossed - I hate it when things are so disorganized that food gets "lost" and wasted. I'll be trying really hard not to let it get out of control again - not always easy when Abby is involved, lol. I got the kitchen looking good, and baked a salmon roast, as well as boiling up a couple chicken carcasses for pot pie and broth.

I also finished up the laundry (started yesterday) and even washed the reusable grocery bags. Ya know, they are not meant to be ironed! I ended up with a slightly melted bag and green gunk on the bottom of my iron, lol. It came off on the press cloth, thank goodness. I guess they are just gonna be wrinkled!

I got all the bedding washed from my bed and had Abby help me flip the mattress, and I cleaned my room. I even clipped a bouquet of dahlias for my dresser - can't believe I still have blooming dahlias in November! Goodness, the amount of down fuzz on my floor was shocking - I haven't been keeping up with the sweeping and dusting very well lately - back on track again now, including the kitchen floor, too. Other than still having 5 gallon buckets in my room, either filled with food and waiting for lids, or empty, waiting for food and lids, it looks pretty good in there now.

Abby was a big help today - she filled all the gallon water jugs for me, did lots of dishes (always have more on fridge cleaning day), helped with the wood, and just did whatever I asked of her.

If I get a little energy back, I'd like to pull everything out of the little pantry in the kitchen and reorganize it, and wash more buckets and lids in the tub. If not, I'll work on them tomorrow, along with the firewood. :)

eta: Goodness, I am known for being wordy, but I think I really overdid it this time - sorry for the book!

12. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Such a sad day for a family in our church.Their 28 year old son collapsed at a strip mall parking lot and died. No drugs or alcohol involved.An autopsy is being done.He wasn't sick or anything.
    Took dinner over to them and others are doing it the next few days. Sat. I'll be doing his funeral dinner. How sad and so unexpected.The mom has had cancer for the last 4 years.A heavy burden for the family.

Jan in CO likes this.
  13. OUVickie

Oma - I am so sorry to hear about that young man. It's such a shock when things like that happen, it takes time to recover. Prayers for that family!

MGM - Yes, although we are not completely debt free, we are not in bad shape like so many others. I feel for hubby and hopefully things will get better soon.

Travis - I had to reread that post. Geez, you're a mess! :hysterical:

I took off early yesterday due to a horrible stomach ache. I felt better today and made it in. My Supervisor came in shortly after and told me he accepted a job in another department, working for one of our mutual friends. I'm going to miss him terribly, but he will be much better off. He's the 4th Team member we've lost in the past 6 months. Hopefully Administration will get a clue what's happening soon.

DD went to the podiatrist yesterday and found out she has plantar fasciitis. She's been having a horrible pain in her right foot and we thought it might be a bone spur. Thankfully it wasn't that, but she has to go back to the Dr. every 2 weeks for awhile and get a steroid injection in her foot and he told her to get some good shoes. I'm hoping to take off early Friday and buy her some new shoes. She can't afford them herself, but I'll just tell her to consider it part of her Christmas gift.

I'm glad it's almost time to head home. It's been a long enough day here.
    Have a great evening, everyone!

Travis in Louisiana likes this.
  14. Travis in Louisiana

OMA2THREE, That has got to be tough to go through.

Woke up today at noon. Went out to the shop and painted the latch handles for the crib. I was going to work on the slide gate, but I had to work tonight and when I start a involved work, I like to stick to it till it is done. The gate slide and the gate itself will be pretty involved and I knew I could not get it done in the few hours I had, before work. So, tomorrow, after waking up, I will be working on it, since I want have to work that night. Her is the last pic I have of the bed mostly done. I hope to finish it on my off days.

[​IMG]

Melissa, Jan in CO, OUVickie and 2 others like this.
  15. manygoatsnmore

Oma, I'm so sorry to hear of this young man's death. My condolences to his family and friends. :angel:
    Vickie, wow, what is going on in your dept that so many have jumped ship? Are you considering it, as well? Glad to hear your tummy is better - I have IBS and there are days... You are such a good momma - I hope your dd knows she has a treasure in you!
    Travis, that crib is amazing, truly a labor of love. Looking forward to seeing how you get the latch worked out.

Well, my plans were shot when I woke up to driving rain this morning. I turned back over and went back to sleep, as I didn't fall asleep until about 6am. I tweaked my back and it was hurting all through my back and down my left hip and thigh all night. I took ibuprofen and Flexoril, rubbed on Aspercreme, but it didn't really help. Slept until nearly NOON! Still hurting, but bearable now. We'll see how tonight goes...

About all I've done so far today is make coffee, scrub buckets and lids, and try out my salmon. Oh, that is good fish! I'm thinking of all the recipes I can use it in, as I have about 10# of it to eat up. I have a feeling I'll be portioning it into Foodsaver bags for future meals. The leftover bits and bones, I'll simmer for the start of a salmon chowder. I'm drooling already, thinking about it! I think I'll take salmon dip to ds/ddil's for Thanksgiving.

I am still working on several inside projects tonight - cleaning out and reorganizing the kitchen pantry, mending the grocery totes, cooking down some tomatoes and some apples (separately, of course) before they go bad, and rinsing my fermented tomato seeds.

Now the forecast is for good weather this weekend, so maybe I'll finally be able to get out and haul some wood. The forecasters really blew today's forecast - I hope they do better for the weekend!

Travis in Louisiana and OUVickie like this.
  16. OUVickie

Travis - that bed is absolutely beautiful!!!
    I hope your daughter keeps it as a family heirloom. It will last for years, the way you've made it. I'm awestruck at the workmanship, you are very talented!

MGM - I'm sorry about your back. I know pain like that. I usually have to lay in the floor and do rocking exercises, holding my knees and rocking back and forth several times, to help make it go away. I hope you feel better soon!

As for the mass exodus at work, well that happened one by one and they've all gone to different employers for better money and positions.
    After our Director left (he was a good one and we had an excellent team under him) last June, the two Supervisors he had put in place got the brunt of his work divided between the two of them and started having to attend multiple meetings in his place. That's gone on for months, while our Administration drug their feet replacing the Director position. In the mean time the two Supervisors were getting more stressed and putting in 60-80 hours of work each just to keep up. I think they'd finally just had enough. They realized they could make better money for MUCH LESS stress doing the same type of work elsewhere.
    We do have a new Director coming on board November 17th, but I told our VP yesterday I hope the guy hits the ground running, because he has a HUGE job ahead of him at this point.
    Maybe Administration will figure out it's best not to drag your feet when getting replacements next time.

As for me - well I have 14 years here the University and just 5 more left to retire, so my plan is to hold on, grit my teeth and make it to retirement!!

Well, I best go. I'm having lunch with a friend today and I have errands to run at lunch.

Hang in there everyone and have a great Friday's Eve!!!

17. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Travis you do beautiful work.
    OUVICKIE and MGM I am sorry for your aches and pains.Hubby and I usually say ,another day another pain! This weather has been horrible for my sinus problems and ears,lots of pain. I don't do well when it's cold, wet and gray.But things could always be worse.:)

18. manygoatsnmore

Vickie, I'll try the rocking - still hurting (but I don't let it stop me if I can help it). Yeah, with only 5 years left to go, I think I'd probably tough it out, too.

Oma, I figure having a few aches and pains goes along with getting older, and getting older beats the alternative, hands down. I want to see my grands grow up and give me great-grands. :)

I wasn't hurting as badly last night, but still couldn't get quite comfortable enough to sleep until after the sun was up this morning. I think I'm reverting to my night shift schedule. THAT is not necessary! I ended up sleeping until nearly 3pm, but I've been productive ever since. :)

Between last night and today, I've sorted the rest of the summer tomatoes and kept just a few to eat on sandwiches or out of hand, and the rest I put in a stockpot and cooked down for spaghetti sauce. Ran them through the ricer to remove the skins and the pulp is cooking down right now - nearly thick enough to sweeten a bit and get into freezer containers, which I will do before I go to bed. I also cut up the rest of the apples and decided I'd rather make dried apple slices than applesauce, so now I need to peel and slice them. They're soaking in Vit C water at the moment.

I mended my reusable tote bags, made new "floor supports" for them from cereal box cardboard covered with clear packing tape, and have a bunch ready to take to town Monday. I got all, but the top shelf of the kitchen pantry straightened, finished washing the rest of the lids and one more bucket for food storage, did a load of laundry and straightened up most of the rest of the house. Now I'm off to divvy up the salmon into freezer bags, defat the chicken broth and peel apples.

19. Grandmotherbear

I have a bad back too, and PT taught me to assume the Lion position from Yoga (I think that's the name. You lie prone- tummy down- then raise your shoulders by straightening your arms, keeping your hips and legs to the floor) I have perennially irritated L4 and this opens the spinal column towards your insides. I also keep capsaicin patches on hand- the BIG kind- that helps splint the back muscles, because if you don't, Momma Nature will do it for you and that makes your back pain 10 times worse. And I've really been using the TENS unit GFB gave me for my birthday-ever since I started trying to restart the garden.:typomat: Yesterday, speaking of which, I weeded some more, dealt with huge ants with BIG jaws that had colonized a pot, and planted celtuce, beets, and blue peas. Hand watered the small transplants and seeded pots. Couldn't find my big knife so I used an ordinary kitchen knife to cut back the katuk which had crawled into the pigeon peas and was shading about 1/4 of the garden area. :kung: Wanted to add more manure to the pots with the low chill peaches- unfortunately, stone fruits, unlike apples, really need their chill hours- peaches are in bloom, ready to set their autumn crop. The low chills are 1/2 to 1/3 the size of your big gorgeous GA peaches- but any tree ripened peach is a treat.
    Plus Wednesday I burnt more old documentation.
    We've been invaded by another feral cat at the lake- a big black panther of a cat- who chases Calico and her little feral family and our housecats that we spent a long time accustoming Calico and family toward. He wants to be our cat too, but keeps remembering all the times I threw sticks at him while he was chasing the home kitties. He's treed the big old mangy orange tom a few times and I have to chase him from the base of the oak to let him come down. We do feed him- I'm a sucker for a cat, especially the ones who were dumped or left here by the snowbirds when they leave. We just feed him on the other side of the house we feed Calico and family on.
    Been having asthma problems and Wednesday night it triggered a bout of vomiting on our way home from dinner. :yuck::yuck: Possibly emotional component too- we are going to see my mother today and come back to the lake Sunday. I no longer have the excuse of working on Thanksgiving or Christmas so this may be a command performance at the end of the month. She is deafer than she used to be- I didn't think it was possible- and is still refusing to wear her hearing aids she spent so much money on- or use a a deaf phone- which the phone companies in FL are obligated to provide you. The kind which scroll your conversation. Speaking of which, my new cell phone suddenly switched itself to voice address yesterday while I was attempting to text GFB and I decided to try it. I said "Next of kin" to it (which is how I have GFB listed under contacts) The strange contortions it went thru - and I speak very clearly, without any accent- were appalling. "Near from came" was the closest it came from several attempts.:eek:gre: Annoying autocorrect. Got it back to typed status finally. Speaking of autocorrect, when I was attempting to explain to GFB the differences between the Muntjac deer that we used to have at Lion Country Safari and the new Fanged Deer that was rediscovered in Pakistan, it auto corrected me just as I hit Google Search- changed Fanged Deer to Changed Deer. I just may have to turn that feature off sometime, even if it's amusing at times.
    Omato3, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your young friend. Seems to me that nowadays there are probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the obits in the paper for people under 70. There weren't that many when I first started working for Hospice 24 years ago:Bawling:

20. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

My biopsy report came back yesterday. It was not good. I go this coming Tuesday to see the surgeon. Some indications it has already spread. Uncharted territory for me now as I don't know what to expect.