Daily Journal May 2014(Everyone welcome to post)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, May 1, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Would some nice Moderator please sticky this and unsticky April?? BTW my computer froze in the middle of posting this, about half an hour ago.

We are at the lake for only 2 1/2 days. I am scheduled to work Sunday thru Wednesday, and Friday and Saturday. They have been calling me off most of my scheduled workdays, so we'll see what happens next. Gonna be a busy 2 days! Humidity and S FL heat is back boo :flame:

2. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I'm starting to think about what I want to do with a flower bed bhind my shed. There are plenty of things I can do with it. I had lettuce in it for a minute, and I wasn't find of that. I just don't know what I want to do yet. I'm thinking of planting rhubarb down by my fence out back. That would be a perennial thing, and it would come back every year and is also a native plant to the area so I wouldn't have to slave over it. I'm thinking of that for the rest of my plantings I do for this place I live in right now.

I have been doing a bit of organizing in my back bedroom. I want to get to where I want to be back there instead of sleeping on the couch cuz I can't stand the mess! I'm hoping that if I clean back there I will be able to sleep back there and keep less stuff on my couch and coffeetable. I pretty much live on the couch. My laptop is here and everything. It would be nice to be able to have it in back and bring it up front occasionally.

The weather is damp and chilly. Bleck!

3. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Rhubarb sounds like a great idea Michelle!

Whew I'm tired already this morning! Planted the last two rows of beans from seed I picked up yesterday shopping. Also the last two rows of the first corn block.

4. Homesteader

Got interrupted, my neighbor's phone is not working and she is coming here and there to use ours. I'll try to post more in a bit as she's coming right back..

Ok, she seems to have it all straightened out now! I think she needed a friendly smile today, I sent her home with asparagus and pretty bouquet of flowers.

Well other than watering everything and planting the last bit of seeds I guess I have nothing all that interesting to report! It's too warm already, almost 80 right now but that's the price for having stuff growing early! Can't wait for the corn and bean patch to show green!

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. FaithFirst

FaithFirst Well-Known Member

Wife is subbing today and I have my normal shift at work. But until then I get to wrangle/cuddle the youngest. Nap time is noon-ish. She wouldn't sleep. So, I brought her back downstairs and put her in my chair in front of Disney Jr so I could make my lunch. I get done cooking and doing a few dishes, go check on her and this is what I find. Poor kid.

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

FF - she's a cutie! My youngest DGD curls up in the recliner to nap sometimes, I think it's when she doesn't want to be in the backroom alone.

Work is busy, but that keeps me motivated. Yesterday was payday, so it's time to pay the bills and get the shopping done.
    I went to Petco at lunch and got dry cat food with my $5 off coupon, then headed over to Walmart to get the wet cat food. Whiskas had a $2 off coupon on the box of 24 food pouches - that was nice. I stuck to my list and left as soon as I had what I needed. It's better if I don't roam or I end up picking up stuff I don't need.
    I need some groceries, but I don't want to buy w/o a list or I'll end up buying more than we need. We are headed out of town this weekend and DGS has a choir performance tomorrow evening and I won't be home until late, so I may wait until Monday to go grocery shopping. Luckily we have enough in the fridge to do us until next week.

The mechanic thinks DH's car through a rod. He is NOT happy - it's going to need a rebuild or a new engine, but he just spent alot of money on new tires and a front end. I told him "well, it's better than making payments on a new one!" He agreed, but got frustrated today because it's a pain to get a rental car with a Debit card. I had to have the electric and phone company fax paid account statements to the rental company.

7. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

GMB, thanks for getting us started on the new month's thread. :)
    FF, she's absolutely precious! How old? Now I want to go hug my youngest dgd (age 2)!
    Homesteader, I can't believe we're hotter than you! 88* today, 86, yesterday. A little too hot for me when it comes on so suddenly - I like to work my way up to summer temps. Supposed to rain by the weekend, so I'll be back to growing moss. ;)
    Vickie, ugh on the thrown rod. That's an expensive fix. You're right, though, cheaper than a payment on a brand new car!

I've been going outside and working for about a half hour to an hour, and then coming in to cool off again. Makes for slow progress, but slow is better than no. So far today I've worked on the flower beds along the front of my house, digging out weeds and sod, planting back the columbine I'd dug out, and planting some dahlias. Moved the horse to fresh grass - still have her on mowing duty around the outside of the house. Moved another load of stuff into the shipping container and did some straightening up in there - found some curtain rods I knew I had, but couldn't locate. :) Straightened up inside the house, moved the seed starting rack to the dining room, set up the lights, and started some seeds (tomato, cucumber, pumpkin and winter squash). Did some digging in the barn - still trying to level the ground in the future "shop" stall. Dug out chunks of a rotting stump, which helped considerably. Moved a few loads of dirt to the corner of the yard that I'm turning into another edible landscaping bed.

Culled 3 roosters and my ancient egg-bound hen - that was an interesting necropsy. She had a stretched out oviduct to the size of a cantaloupe, packed full of hard egg yolk. I've been meaning to cull her since last year, but she seemed happy, was still eating and getting around okay. Today I finally made myself to the dirty deed...should have done it long ago. :( I may still need to cull a few more hens I suspect are not laying, but I'll wait until I've been able to separate them from the known layers long enough to confirm whether they are free-loaders!

I guess I've cooled off enough...time to go back out and sweat! Hope all y'all are having a wonderful day. :)

8. FaithFirst

FaithFirst Well-Known Member

Mary, she's 2. Her siblings (boy girl twins) are 6 going on 7. And in kindergarten for another month. Not sure if I'm looking forward to summer break or not ;-)

9. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Wednesday, after I finished taking the granddaughter to school, I was fixing to head out to the shop to get started. The wife said I needed to go pick up the two furniture pieces that had come in and I needed to pick up the floor molding at the flooring place. So, it was road trip time. The wife did not go with me, since she was taking care of the daughter who had the surgery. I went by the furniture place, but they had not opened yet. So, I ran by the flooring place and got that piece. Then I decided to head to my dad's house and have coffee with him. Got there and my nephew was cutting his grass. One of dad's doctors took his drivers license away. The other doctor said he could drive. DAD IS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!! It will get worked out and he should have them back shortly. On my way back home from dad's, I picked up the furniture and put it together when I got home. It was part of the computer desk. Then I moved the computer to the new desk that night. Today, I got up at 6:34 AM. I was hoping to sleep late since I had to work tonight. Well, I ended up staying up. I took the granddaughter to school. Got back home, I cut some limbs out of a tree to have room to mow under with the mower. I mowed all the back yard (an acre). I plugged the holes in the brick where I moved the cable from, to reroute to the new place I had drilled. I did a bunch of small jobs just trying to catch up on some loose ends. Finally, before I quit for the day, I washed my truck and vacuumed it out. Then I cooked hamburgers on the grill while the wife went and pick up the granddaughter from school. Then it was time to get ready for work. I am tired and have around 12 hours to go before I get to sleep. It was too pretty of a day to take a nap before work!!!

10. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Busy week ,3 Funeral dinners in 7 days.I am doing all the cooking for the one tomorrow, just have all the pies brought in.During my free time while things are in the ovens a couple friends and I will set up and decorate for the Spring Tea on Sat. I am so looking forward to it.Have tons of stuff to haul to Church tomorrow, good thing my hubby is a good helper:)
    Sunday is youngest grandsons Birthday party,so that will be a fun time also.
    Hubby planted 3 new Rose bushes since we lost all the once we had .Quite a few of my friends lost theirs also .Probably because of the harsh Winter we had in Indiana.

11. bhawkwind

bhawkwind Well-Known Member

Getting our second cow this weekend, finally caught the crud all the family has gone through, had a rough couple days, but I don't seem to have it at full strength cause I'm feeling decent again. Still coughing, but not feeling like I should be laying down. Need to plant, although it's rained enough that it's swampy, I'll end up with mud shoes if I try to go in the garden before we have a nice dry day! blech. Eh - it'll make what I have in the ground go. :D whee! whirlawork is still going, so off I go!

12. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

MGM - I can empathize! Our temps this week have been in the 60s & 70s and down in the 30s & 40s overnite. However, today they are soaring back up and it's supposed to be in the 90s this weekend! Holy Cow, where did the gradual warming trend go?!!
    Whew, I think I'll be wearing capris this weekend!

DH called and said his jeep needs a new or rebuilt engine. We discussed which was better and agreed the new engine is a better deal, it will have a 3 year warranty and is only $1000 more. It will take less time for them to drop a new one in there anyway. It's a big expense, but at least we won't be taking on a car payment.

I got home last night and our neighbor, who does a lot of work for us, had carted off the brush pile, some dead trees that were in the yard, moved the large stones from around the area where our deck used to be, mowed it and put our concrete steps back in place at the front door. It looked nice and will be easier for DH to mow next week.

DGS has a choir concert this evening, so I'm heading into the city for that. Then I have to pack tonight when I get home.
    DH and I are headed to McAlester to see his best friend, the Navy Commander, head up the Armed Forces Day parade tomorrow morning. When I looked at the schedule I found out my cousin, who is part of the Cherokee Skydivers Team, will be performing during the celebrations and then there's a huge picnic in the park afterwards. It should be a fun weekend!

I'm tired and mentally overwhelmed this week. I'm ready for a break!

13. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Got up today at 1:34 PM. I mowed the front yard and cut one log up into firewood blocks. The wife cooked steak, smothered potatoes, and made a salad. I am at work, but it is Friday night! I will return to work Tues morning. I have a ton of projects for the weekend. It is good working weather here right now. You all stay busy!!! It keeps you out of trouble!!

14. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Travis, what fun is stayin' out of trouble? ;)

Has anyone heard from GMB? I'm wondering if the Florida rain is affecting her - it was supposed to be moving east across the state. Hoping she and GFB are fine.

I spent today working on cleaning the 55 gallon barrels and setting them up under the drip line on the east side of my barn. I will have to let them fill at least partially with rain water, add soap and pool shock and then roll them around the yard to get them clean, I think. Then I can let them refill with rain water. My heat wave is over, rain just started and is expected to continue off and on all weekend, so I should be able to get some water into them.

I also worked a bit on weeding, but I have to admit, I'm absolutely sick to death of weeding! It just never seems to end and feels like I'm not getting anywhere. Okay, having a little pity party here...time to give myself a shake and buck up!

15. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

All week it has been cold, cloudy and rainy. Just yuck. Yesterday I ran errands, the bank, thrift stores and every store in between to whittle my list down. Today I went to the towns of Sparks and White Cloud, KS for the spring flea/antique market they have twice a year. Also stopped and got some more flowers. Ready for some color around here.

Then Bill and I put primer on my two fabric bookcases I got from the quilt store that is closing. Tomorrow we will paint them. Will have the 2 youngest grandkids tomorrow so we may have paint where we don't want because they will want to help! Doesn't matter, we will be outside soaking up a nice day before it turns hot. It is either cold or hot, nothing in between.

16. Chief Cook

Chief Cook Well-Known Member

Well, I have finally got back to one of my favorite threads on HT. I have managed to really mess myself up! I leaned across the tailgate and PULLED a 50 lb. bag of salt to me so I could pick it up and take it to the rock building and yep, I tore my left rotator cuff. And I knew it when I did it! I am back to doing the exercises they taught me in PT when I tore the right rotator cuff a couple of years ago. DH even made a pulley system for me so I can do the stretching! I was so looking forward to this summer and all the projects we had planned. So I won't be lifting any drywall for a while. I have been managing with one arm and it is finally getting where it doesn't hurt so much. Something wonderful happened today!!! Our big water well stopped pumping and we thought we were going to have to dig a deeper well. But yesterday, while the electrician was out here, DH reached over and it started pumping water!!!! So today I was able to water the trees! I even got some water on the West side of the front yard! It felt so good to be outside watering again! :thumb: Then the repairman came out to check the little well we use for the house. It stopped yesterday, right in the middle of laundry. :facepalm: So he came out this afternoon and said "You know that does act like the condenser is out". Of course he didn't bring the right condenser and had to drive all the way back to town to get it. Oh well when he was all finished, we have running water in the house again! :banana:You really don't miss it until the well stops running, ya know. And it looks like I just might get to put in a small garden this year!!! I have been wanting one soooo bad!!! Well, I gotta go for now. Keep up the good work!

17. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, Chief Cook, you be careful with that shoulder! I have a torn rotator in my right shoulder, and would have had surgery years ago, but just couldn't make myself do it. Gradually the pain got better as I babied it, but I worry about using it for heavy things! Wish I knew what exercises to do that would help that condition. Glad you finally got your well situation figured out!

MGM, I think GMB is working a lot on her off days right now, according to her post to open this thread.

Today is Loyalty Day and DH is helping with the VFW parade. Too difficult and wearing to take Mama for just a short parade, too far to walk from the parking area or I'd have to drop her off alone then go park, so guess I'll convince her that she and I will stay home and she can watch the tape of her baseball game from yesterday, while I work a little outside.

18. Homesteader

Happy Spring! Our Cecile Brunner rose this morning:

[​IMG]

19. Homesteader

Whew that rose is so big this year - I am so stoked about that!

Busy morning but it's over 80 already by 10:30 it was that hot. Way to hot in the sun. DH and I got a big job done by cleaning up the deadwood off the main rose garden (20 roses in that area), and removing the suckers. Then, regular daily watering, and I found more beans up!

DH then fixed his wonderful sausage for breakfast. Toast and eggs too. I was too full to have strawberries after that! I made up some cole slaw too for later. Finally then got my shower - I do the outside stuff first then shower of course or else I just get all dirty/dusty sweaty anyway.

I wish I could do the the heat but it seems if anything I get more sensitive to it as I'm aging. I stop when it's 80 in the shade. That's my top limit. But that doesn't leave me a lot of time to get stuff done, esp. weeding!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

20. Westexas

Westexas Well-Known Member

Homesteaders, I know what you mean about the heat. It is frustrating to have so many things to do outside and have to come in so often to rest and cool off. I just went on another mission trip to Mexico and was very glad that I am able to go in April and October. It is plenty warm and I do enjoy sleeping under the stars at night. DH is going in June and I know it will be HOT then!

DH has his pilot friend visiting and they are practicing "maneuvers" with our plane, so I finally got to go for a ride. LOVED it, but don't know if I will go for a pilot's license. Having watched DH train for the past 8 years, and seeing all the adjustments that have to be made during flight and the planning that goes into each flight, I think I will just get him to teach me to land in case of an emergency! One of our weekend docs crashed not long ago with his wife and med school son on board - a really horrible loss. Will stick with practicing medicine and leave the flying to DH, who has always wanted to do this and works hard at it.

Getting ready for chicks and pheasants and goslings this month, and need to keep the garden watered and find time to paint the beehive. Sun should be up soon, and I won't wait for it to "warm up a little" this morning like I did yesterday! Boy, did it! Am also backing up our new Nurse Practitioner this weekend, but haven't heard a peep out of him so far - a huge improvement over the previous PA we had. Did have to go in and pronounce a patient who had passed away (expectedly) yesterday. She was a beautiful lady and will be remembered by me as well as her family. Sometimes my mind forgets who has passed on and who is still living, I can see and hear them so clearly. Such wonderful spirits and purposeful lives, and I know they are still there on the other side, which seems closer every day. Just hope that I am doing my best by them. Have a blessed day, everyone.