Daily Journal January 2015 ~Everyone Welcome to Post!

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Will one of you kind moderators please. sticky this?

2. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

It is after midnight, a NEW YEAR! I am eating a ham sandwich, chips, and cake. I am at work. You all be good.

OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.

3. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I worked last night. It went so much better, I finally have a better balance of my hormones and I'm not a raging lunatic! It isn't that bad, but man once I get started it just flows out the mouth. I slipped up and said the S word a couple times, but not in random conversation. I'm really going to work on cleaning up my potty mouth! I'm not supposed to let any profane thing come from my mouth, and I have been spewing forth, so my new year's resolution is to knock it off!

I should find out by next week about the position. I'm not expecting to get it, that way if I do it will be a totall blessing! I have asked God to help me with Him. I want to be a better friend to Him and make Him a priority, moreso than I have in the past. There are so many changes that I need to make for God. A few things at a time, that I can manage. This past year was a lazy year for me spiritually! Happy New year!

4. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Wanted to say thank you especially for thos eof you who have called my name out to God in prayer! That is awesome! God bless you all!

5. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

After I wrote yesterday, I did a few small chores, including moving boxes into corners, then I read a book. I ate a donut, potato chips, liverwurst on crackers, and a bowl of rice with a pat of butter. I seldom eat more than one of those carb/grain things in a day, so "forbidden fruit" lol. Porky let me sleep till 7-something today. Going to read some more this morning, and then have work to do on the music-lesson schedule and materials. I need to post lesson times today or tomorrow. Getting my bag packed will loosen up my weekend time.
    Happy New Year to all!

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Happy New Year, everyone!!

I headed into town yesterday around noon and ran some errands before heading to DD's house. I had gotten DGS a GameStop gift card for Christmas and he was itching to use it, so we headed over the game store and he ended up with two newish games. That kept him busy all evening.
    DD went grocery shopping and got her errands run, then got dressed and headed to her friends house for the New Year's Eve party.

I fed the kids and played games with the girls, then we watched New York's Rockin' Eve party on TV. We sang along with them and once the ball dropped in NY I convinced them it was the New Year and put them to bed. LOL!
    DD came in around 3 a.m. Today is her 39th birthday. She said her friends surprised her and combined their NYE party into a surprise birthday party for her. She had a great time.

I slept about 4 more hours and headed home around 7:30 a.m. this morning. The roads were a little slick from freezing drizzle in her area, so I took my time driving home. It was still dry out by us, but I can see on the radar map online, it's on it's way here. I hope it ends up being sleet and/or snow and not freezing rain. I don't want to end up w/o electricity!

DH is off for the day, so it's old movie day here at the house. He's watching old westerns.

Have a wonderful New Year's day everyone and stay warm!!!

7. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought this would be a good time for me to jump in and start sharing of our daily doings.

I have been on HT for many years, but mostly keep my comments to the tightwad tips. Hope it is okay that I join in here.

A word of introduction:

DH and I live in the woods. We are empty nesters. He fishes, I sew, play piano, cook, teach Bible study and Sunday school.

We just moved back to the woods this past fall and I promptly fell and shattered my elbow at the first snowfall.

Recovery is slower than I would like, but could be worse.

It will be a quiet New Year's here. Pot roast is in the crock pot and we are snacking of chips and dip from last night. THEN we will watch what we eat. Ha.Ha.

We have 3 grown sons, 3 beautiful daughters-in-love and 4 grands six and under.
    We are so blessed.

Hope to get down to the basement and do a little sewing today.

Also, I want to start making plans to have a vermi composting bin. We had one for years, but with 3 moves in 6 years, the worms went to a friend. Hope she can give me some back!

8. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

WORMLADY, Welcome to the site!! Jump in at anytime!

OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  9. Melissa

Melissa member

Happy New Year everyone. We had the kids ahere last night for homemade Chinese food and we all played games and just hung out. Today I have the house cleaned, dishes done (there was a mountain~) and I have changed out the calendars and did some paperwork. I am going to work on the January bulletin board for the community center. I have been putting up a new bulletin board every month or so for about 15 years now. I need to wrap Wesley's birthday gifts. His birthday is on Monday but Megan is having his party on Saturday. Hope everyone has a nice day.

10. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

wormlady so glad to hear you will be joining in! What type of sewing do you do?

Happy New Year everyone!

Our daughter's gallbladder is going south fast, she ended up in the ER, and they told her to get to a surgeon fast. Well, of course, this happens on NYE, so no docs today on New Year's Day - but they gave her some pain meds. It's been coming, she's been miserable, but this time, they see stones for sure. It's generally believed that one of the meds for treating the Lyme disease has caused her gb to go nuts. A common side effect.

So, we'll be going in to pick up gd tomorrow am., rather than waiting for Sat. Son in law is home today, but works tomorrow. I am a bit worried about her being alone, but she does have pain meds and can always call an ambulance.

Other than that, DH is puttering in the kitchen after he made us breakfast. He's going to make up some chicken pot pies for the freezer!

11. Chief Cook

Chief Cook Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! I can't believe it is here already, but I am so excited about this year. I have been busy as a woodpecker in a lumber yard! I have taken and passed all the classes to work at H&R Block! That was tough! The class is sooo much shorter and faster than in the years before. I made it though, and I start the real deal on Monday! I really like the women that I will be working with, and then I will be home to do my own thing after April 15th. Hope this works out. I have missed my HT time, but I hope to stay caught up from here. Can't wait to get this year really started. Happy Homesteading!

12. Grandmotherbear

OF COURSE you are welcome here, Wormlady, Melissa said from thee very beginning "EVERYONE is welcome to post ". I only started to start the monthly thread when she was poorly a few years back.
    I soaked peas last night (I'm southern! Of course they're cowpeas) and today started them to simmer. Picked turnips ( I love the Lutz Salad Green variety! Tried this year for the first time and they grew very well) Turnips greens in the small crock pot, beef plate ribs in the medium crockpot, and then I went looking for the smoke hog jowl I pulled out of the freezer last night when we arrived so it could thaw in the fridge.
    After 20 minutes of fruitless search enlisted Grandfatherbear's help.
    After 30 minutes of him searching and us dumping the content of the meat drawer and scrubbing the Technicolor science experiments out of it, unloading and reloading the freezer, and discovering a package of Jack's Links precooked hamburger (best by 11/2005) we had to admit defeat & I sliced a smoked sausage link into the cowpeas. Add two baked potato and a slice of the apple pie baked yesterday and its all good.
    GFB got a lot of his brief done. I don't envy him. Seems too much like writing a Master's thesis to me. Can't imagine doing 1-2 every month.
    I think I will order more Lutz turnips when I send in my order for next fall&winter. Need to order more Albino beets, which did better two years ago than the Detroit reds, and the Turga parsnips, which did better 3 years ago than the Hollow CRowns.
    Last night we watched Tv- flipping back and forth between Animal Gone Wild, North America, and Americas Funniest Videos. Those videos didn't seem funny atall, I winced in sympathetic pain at almost every stunt.
    Next 2 weeks are scheduled to be warmer and wetter than usual Hopefully MLK weekend will bring colder temps. Seems like when I had my Boy Scouts out on the Florida Trail backpacking every MLK weekend we would have really colder temps.
    Gfb is still on the computer I am posting from a new phone Kinda miss the old hilarious aut correct (not!)

Travis in Louisiana and OUVickie like this.
  13. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Very low key new Years eve here.Since I still have that horrible cold I went to bed at 8pm,woke up 5 hours later ,rolled over and slept some more.Hubby also slept into the New Year.So, party animals we are not.Did manage to fix him a good breakfast and put dinner in the crock pot then went back to bed.I hope this bad cough is better by tomorrow and that I get some energy back.Have lots of nursing home stuff to do for our friends and visit them with my mask on :) .I hope and pray that in another week things slow down with all we have to do for them,right now it's still overwhelming and feeling bad does not help.
    Glad every body else is doing great.

14. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother called a little while ago that he is loaded up & leaving today. With the possibility of weather coming, I would have suggested he do so. This is pretty difficult. Through my own troubles, he's been more than supportive. He is that much younger that I really didn't know him growing up. He's a good man, a good brother, a good father. He and Dad were best buddies. I could wish for a lot of things to be different, easier, for him. Communication and travel are so much easier now, it's not like I can't call, text or get on a plane. When I was in my 20s, many of my best friends were across the country. We stayed in touch by letter, sometimes with weeks between! I sometimes wonder if today's instant communication has created more angst than benefit. I'm off as soon as he calls again, to meet them en route. He needs Dad's coffee table to take to his new apartment.

15. wormlady

Yesterday turned out to be a rather lazy day. DH and I mentioned doing a couple of projects together but were distracted by things we were working on by ourselves.

The pot roast was delicious, probably the best I have ever made. I did something I had never done before – put a frozen roast in the crockpot. If you check the internet for how to do this, you will see both recommendations and dire warnings. I seared the roast first and then put it in the crock pot with a cup of water on high. The recipe I read said to do this for 5-6 hours, I had it in there for 7. The MOST tender pot roast I have ever had. Can’t wait to get at it again today – love leftovers!

Christmas decorations are coming down today. Every year for the past half dozen or so years, I have done less and less decorating. The older I get the more I appreciate clutter-free minimalism and I’ve applied this to Christmas décor as well. The ornaments are off the two pencil trees we have in front of the living room window. DH will take the trees to the basement in a bit. I will miss the soft glow of the lights, but will appreciate the regained space.

Crockpot granola is on the to- do list today. Looking forward to the yummy smells of cinnamon and honey wafting through the house. I still need to do more budget work and of course, there is always sewing.

Right now I am working on a Christmas stocking for a baby shower in a few weeks and then I need to repair all the sleeves I deconstructed to accommodate my cast. Looking forward to getting my clothes back to normal!

5 below zero this morning. The birds are very busy at the feeders: juncos, chickadees, both hairy and downy woodpeckers. There are black squirrels and gray squirrels and little mice scavenging on the ground. In the evening a trio of does will often come through. They sometimes spend the night under a balsam thicket of our dining room.
    I love living in the woods!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

16. wormlady

Yesterday turned out to be a rather lazy day. DH and I mentioned doing a couple of projects together but were distracted by things we were working on by ourselves.

The pot roast was delicious, probably the best I have ever made. I did something I had never done before – put a frozen roast in the crockpot. If you check the internet for how to do this, you will see both recommendations and dire warnings. I seared the roast first and then put it in the crock pot with a cup of water on high. The recipe I read said to do this for 5-6 hours, I had it in there for 7. The MOST tender pot roast I have ever had. Can’t wait to get at it again today – love leftovers!

Christmas decorations are coming down today. Every year for the past half dozen or so years, I have done less and less decorating. The older I get the more I appreciate clutter-free minimalism and I’ve applied this to Christmas décor as well. The ornaments are off the two pencil trees we have in front of the living room window. DH will take the trees to the basement in a bit. I will miss the soft glow of the lights, but will appreciate the regained space.

Crockpot granola is on the to- do list today. Looking forward to the yummy smells of cinnamon and honey wafting through the house. I still need to do more budget work and of course, there is always sewing.

Right now I am working on a Christmas stocking for a baby shower in a few weeks and then I need to repair all the sleeves I deconstructed to accommodate my cast. Looking forward to getting my clothes back to normal!

5 below zero this morning. The birds are very busy at the feeders: juncos, chickadees, both hairy and downy woodpeckers. There are black squirrels and gray squirrels and little mice scavenging on the ground. In the evening a trio of does will often come through. They sometimes spend the night under a balsam thicket of our dining room.
    I love living in the woods!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

17. wormlady

Oops. Sorry about the double post.

18. Grandmotherbear

Wormlady- my father, a career USDA employee specializing in meat animals, always insisted our chuck roasts (dinner about 4xweekly) be broiled from frozen. He said it tenderized the meat as the ice crystals thawed. Since then I have read by other "experts" it toughens meat to do so, but I never ate a tough chuck roast in all those years (took over cooking at age 11 for Girl Scout badge and it just stayed my responsibility).
    Woken up by horrendous headaches 2 nights in a row, and took my last Naprosyn at 2 am. Need to buy more, as well as an overhead lightbulb for the range and some more manure. The sparrowgrass, freed from its blankets of 6 ft plus weeds, is still putting up little spears- 1-2 every 2-3 days. Just enough for a little taste of goodness for us. I need it to go dormant however, and dry will serve as well as cold for that.

I never take down my decorations till the 12th day of Christmas.
    Still sending out annual letters. I received a spread sheet from my cousins with a comprehensive list of addresses and can't open it using Microsoft Office. All my other downloads utilized Adobe. Anyone have any ideas how to correct the software? I've been poking at random buttons, but can't see
    how to change from MSOffice to Adobe.

Dear son in law was expecting to be laid off Tuesday and we haven't heard anything from them. DD and he both suffer from panic attacks -DD NEEDS to hire a lawyer and pursue SSD since SS didn't even read her medical records that stated she was NOT employable before denying her the first time and she just got so discouraged she gave up. Which is what SS hopes will happen. (I've prepared records for SSD and insurance before- they almost always reject you the first time, and you have a 50% chance of winning your appeal even without new information) He won't be eligible for unemployment either. Not because of anything major, just a culmination of minor things)
    Going to see Night at the Museum this afternoon. Laughter is indeed the best medicine.

19. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome, wormlady! That roast sounds delicious. I may have to fix one this weekend, if I can find one for a decent price!
    We live in the woods too. My favorite thing to do is watch the birds and wildlife. I've learned a lot about the seasons by watching the wildlife and trees.

Oma - I'm glad you're feeling some better. Hopefully you get to 100% soon!

GMB - I love reading your gardening posts. You are the only one of us that can garden year around, I think. My cousin lives in Tampa and he posts pictures of his family on outings and beautiful sunny tropical pics and such, quite often. It really helps me seeing those. In the Winter I live vicariously through his posts & pics!!

Today has been productive. I seem more productive when DH isn't here. I think I'm letting the TV distracts me too much, so today I turned it over to the music channel, which helps me work better.

This is my last weekend before Winter vacation is over. I go back to work on Monday. I actually don't mind the thought of going back to work. I think I just needed a mental rest. Not travelling and such, with some time at home can sure be helpful.

We are getting drizzling rain this morning. It looks like the ice may miss us. I hope so. I'm praying DH makes it home before it hits the city though, or he's going to have a stressful commute home.

Have wonderful day, everyone!

Travis in Louisiana likes this.
  20. Grandmotherbear

OU- No, summer is our fallow period. Yes, I'm growing the water pots, but attempts to grow limas, cowpeas, and loofas have just resulted in a bumper crop of agricultural pests that then attack our fall/winter gardens. Next year I'm just planting peanuts in all the pots that don't have perennials as a green manure and putting down LOTS of plastic around them.
    How to get an attachment downloaded- Click on it on the OLD computer that has no printer attached. Finally got my cousins lists from the reunion 2013 hand copied. Annual letters to go out today/tomorrow! It's all good- not Jan 6 yet, so still within the 12 days of Xmas!