Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Ok friends.. I am need of a shoulder, advise, kick in the pants. Something I have had a day I wouldnt want to do alot of. I got a call from my oldest dd this morning. The ones that due with #6 in March, with the dead beat b/f. She asked me to go see her apt, and make sure the electric heaters werent tipped over, because her apt got broke into during the night, they were at his moms, because they have no heat. Which fine,, she has 2 little girls at home this week, Baby Faith who is 9 mos old and Hailey who is 6, the other kids are with there dad. Bear with me,, I have to stop and breath,, I am so mad, I could build a house just by spitting nails.
She said she got a call for on of her b/f's friends - mother and her apt was destroyed, totally trashed. Ok I am trying to stay in control and find out detail, cuz , We were down across from her apt at 6:30 and only notice the lights were on and her car wasnt there.
I go back down to apt,, the land lord is there when I get there,,, this old man is crippled up, just got out of hospital from having a stroke.. They finally let me in, I explain who I am and asked if I could see apt and to get the kids some clothes. Mind you my dd is a slob,, she just doesnt clean her house,, but neither does lazy b/f.. But had social services there Tuesday,, so I know it was cleaned, then
I had to push the door open, the Christmas tree was pulled down in front of the door, the terriaum her crabs were in were totally smashed, all her bakers racks, hutches, totally smashed, broke, mangles, her table and chairs,, bent and broke, everything that was on these racks broke smashed. A big tv in the living room looked like it was dropped from 10 feet, the whole back smashed off,, Everything that my dd had when she met this piece of crap was broke,, but I notice nothing of his was broke,, his pictures were fine, anything that was his was in place,, she worked hard to pay for a nice living room set thru rent a center the leather couch,, glass end table and lamps,, the couch had cooking oil from the stove splashed on it, oil was thrown on ceiling, down the wall, all over the floor, her end tables are just broke,, nothing can be fixed, I then went in her room nothing touch, babies room the crib was pulled out and side was hanging off being held by the bumper pad string. The i went into other kids bed rooms, dgs room spotless, the gdd rooms played in look,, nothing touched. All things that were hers just destroyed. Right now he is in jail,, but not for doing this,, which in my opinion he did do, will get to that part. I guess yesterday at some point she went to his mothers with the girls,, He went out with his friends, a bunch of low life scum,, At some point during the night he got into a fight with one of them and left them and got a ride from some one else to his mothers,, But heres my thought since only her stuff got broke,, he has a temper bad and getting worse with each out burst.. I think he came home and busted the place up when he found her not there and at some point came back to his senses and got a ride to his mothers, where they in turn got into a fight and neighbors called the police,, supposedly he had a bench warrant for his arrest,, for a past violation,, which got paid last january,, ok he has been arrested several since then,, and if he had a warrant they would of arrested him,, they knew where he was. I think he got into more trouble she didnt know about,, an he was the one that trashed their apt,, they live on the main street and know when the guy down stairs wont be home... The land lord told me they are now 4 mos behind in their rent,, they have had the phone shut off, no oil for heat i have put over 100 worth in just so my grand children can have heat. I am at a loss as how to make her see she is going to loose her children,, she is going to loose her home,, he is a piece of scum,, but she defends him 100% He has mental issues,, dr jeckyl and mr hide issues,,, I dont trust him,, I know he has hurt her but she wont leave,, I have given her safe place to some to,, I have gone and gotten her,,he isnt allowed here,, I dont like him,, He is tearing my family apart.. How do I wake her up,, with out loosing my daughter,, I had custody for 5 yrs of the oldest 3,, why cant she see he is the problem its not everyone else. Her youngest baby Faith is his and she is due again in March,, He cant support them they get help from the state.He needs to stay in jail,, he needs to just be forgotten,, if this makes me heartless,, then fine,, I have seem my grand children be tore apart and be afraid because of this kid. They fight all the time and things get broke all the time. I am so worked up Iam so scared what my grand children will go thru again. They were little the first time,, but now they are from 6-13.. If it comes to it I will go for custody of the oldest 3 again,, Hailey would go with her dad, which would tear her an Deanna up terrible. I am just having such a hard time with why how come,,, get rid of him,, the kids should be the first and fore most concern,, not him.. Am I wrong..
Please pray for my grand children,,all 6 of them the 5 that are born and the baby who isnt yet. Pray she comes to her senses this children are the only thing she needs to be concerned with. And some where one for me I dont have another stroke before this is all done,, I am afraid its coming,, I am thinking happy thoughts as my Annies say,, just happy thoughts grammy just happy thought and it will be ok
Thank for listening,, I am headed to bed,, I am wiped out,, I have to clean rental tomorrow,,plus deal with negelcted animal case tomorrow with people I know,, they dont like me about know,, thank you for shoulders,, It means alot

www.ledgehillfarm-alexandria-nh.vpweb.com

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Oh, SFG, what a horrible thing to go thru and yes, if only your daughter's things were trashed it was either her boyfriend OR boyfriend's new girlfriend. What to do- unfortunately she is an adult. Can you not offer that the grandchildren should come stay with you until "you and your boyfriend get your place cleaned up and bills caught up and heat back on?" Whatever you don't DON'T criticize him to her face, she would probably just cling to him more. I bit my tongue many times when my own DD was going thru her crazy times...thank goodness she wised up when her son was born. Now she has many times done things SINCE she wised up taht GFb or I did not approve of- we offer our opinion - once- and will ask her every now and then how is (whatever) doing. As you know, adults are free to be fools. Back when it looked for awhile like DD and her husband were going to wind up homeless I did tell her her children would never be homeless while we were alive, but we knew she would want to stand by her husband and work thru things at his side. One thing you might do without driving her away is to ask your daughter if she has ANY idea how this problem could have happened- the house being trashed. Don't offer any suggestions. Don't clean it up for her. Don't replace anything for her. DO offer to babysit while she cleans it up or gets her boyfriend to clean it up. Ask her a few weeks from now if she is absolutely unable to think of who could have done such a thing to her, if she has any ideas since then. If anything has been mysteroiusly broken in the past you might try to ask her to think thru if there were any common denominators between prior happenings and this. She may know he trashed her stuff and be ready at the first hint of criticism to argue with you- pregnancy does tend to make us kinda stoopid that way.

Gosh, after your bad day I feel kinda shamed to report what a nice relaxing day we had- first holiday since July 4 I didn't have to work. I had a friend from Scouts over to late lunch with her "challenged" son. She had me over for dinner many times while GFB was living in the lake cabin and I was spending my weekdays in the city. We had a ham, blackeyed peas, homegrown collards, rolls, olives and gherkins, and homegrown carambollas sliced into stars. She prought a lovely sweet potato pie with a pecan topping. GFB did work very hard at cleaning up the mess that accumulated over many years in the dining room. We also planted a couple of potatoes and some wax beans and transplanted some more cauliflower starts. Last night I brought back from Home Depot a very large clay pot so he can try once again to raise a chayote. Doesn't matter if we planted in ground or in a container, they put out about 3 feet of vine and die. This pot is the size of a small garbage can, so with frequent feeding it should survive. I have just finished my order to Sandhills Preservation Center for 10 sumor sweet potatoes, the ones that taste/texture like Irish potatoes, since GFB is starting to feel like he's had too much of a good thing in regards to sweet potatoes. Our Irish potato season is short and since we try not to run too much a/c the potatoes are not keeping weell. Well, some did survive till October/November but they were all shrivelled and sprouty so they got planted. I also ordered some more manga from Roberts Corner Anime Store- man I wish we could get the second season of Gunslinger Girl anime here. I really enjoyed that series- it was obvious the villains had as good a motive as the heroes, and the heroes actions were soetimes villainous- a very good series with profound philisophical considerations.
Hope everyone has a good NY Day and stays warm!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Saturday morning for the next fifteen minutes LOL. DH is at work, that is good. Hoping to see his handsome face early this afternoon.

Cold here, not much going on. I asked DH to take a sheet of poster paper and draw our property on it and then we will sit and figure out our plans for Spring. I have an empty chicken coop that needs to be filled, a belgian horse that needs to be trained, and gardens that need to be placed. My youngest daughters want to plant apple trees and I think that is a fine idea.

speaking of my daughters, my youngest is getting her tonsils out on Tuesday. She is very excited and I am somewhat nervous.. trying not to be.

Happy New Year everyone.:dance:

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Set the alarm for 445 am and Grandfatherbear and I went outide and watched the Quandrantids meteor shower- really neat they were large, but their trajectories were very short Still it was neat. About 6 we went back to bed and even GFB slept like an angel till 830. We took pictures of the gardens and harvested several tomatoes, 4 heads broccolli (2 were starting to bolt) several nahdfuls of string and purple beans, and a gallon container of Lima beans. My plan was to strip ALL the lima pods off- uproots plants around 2 trelli (treliises)? and plant them to more green beans. - and then see how long they lived and bore. After all, if we can turn collards and sweet potatoes into pperrennials wgy not limas? Grandfatherbear counterpropoded that we buy a new trellis and new pots for green beansand see if we could turn ALL of the limas into preeniials. So today, having scuffle hoed water weeds, raked the lake, watered the garden and mulched the potatoes we are off to home depot and the bookstore.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Hi All and a Belated Happy New Year!

We've had several days of pouring rain and wind, then New Year's night, it started to SNOW again! Shaping up to be a wild winter around here. We have about 4" of snow on the ground, and I got to skate home yesterday. It froze up on the freeway about 2 miles from my exit, and there were cars off the road every where. Most of the semis couldn't get up the hills, so that was putting a further crimp in traffic. I was thankful for 4wd, and being able to downshift instead of brake, and more thankful to make it off the highway without someone crashing into me. I had to stop at Jon's to do laundry anyway, so I holed up there for a few hours until it warmed up enough to melt the roads. Then I stopped at the feed store to get layer pellets, and came on home to bed. Had a little more snow, just a dusting during the night and it is very pretty out there today. The forecast is for more snow showers over this weekend, and a major warmup with heavy rains again on Monday. More possibilities of flooding, I suppose, too. Makes me thankful I live high and dry. :)

Not much else going on around here so far today - just need to wash eggs to take to work Monday night, grind up the rest of the ham for sandwich spread, and make some pizza dough for homemade pizza, along with regular chores. I worked on my checkbook until I finally found my errors and got it balanced. Math is not my strong suit, lol. Need to stop at the credit union on Tues and ask for a new check register.

Jon called me last night - on top of everything else going on in his life, he just got laid off. There is no possible way he's going to be able to keep his house now. :( At least he should have good grounds to have his child support reduced to a bare minimum for a while now. Looks like he'll probably be moving in with a friend down the street, and if that falls through, we'll put a travel trailer on my lot near town and he can live there. I just hate to see his FICO score take a hit by losing his house, but I don't see any way around it.

sfg, oh, dear, Donna...what a mess! I sure hope she finally figures it out and kicks him to the curb. Denial - not just a river in Egypt, as they say. Sending you a big ol' hug, gf. :)

Well, I'm feeling the need for more coffee - off to brew a fresh pot! Then I may get some ambition, lol. Take care all and have a lovely weekend. :)

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
After finding out a little before Christmas that I graduated, I've been very well in the mind. I'm certainly still very unaware of what I have accomplished, as I feel no differently since then, between pre and post graduation.

It is pretty foggy here, but that is supposed to life up by morning. I guess it really got warm, but I don't know what the high was, as I was sound asleep! I slept like a rock. Havent done that in quite some time. I think I went ot bed around 11am, and I slept until 9:30pm. I did have some periods of half-consciousness, but other than that, I slept really well. Need to get up and get moving. I have to work in the morning from 3-6 so tht won't be too bad. There are only church orders for donuts, and she did a great job of explaining them to me, so I won't be at a loss as to how to set everything apart. I'll be working from 3-6 up until thursday, my normal two days are wed and thur. Then I make donuts and THEn I go to Quincy to take care of things for Dad. He needs to get some shopping done. That's all for me! Take care everyone!
MichelleIL

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Good Morning to family.. And I means this with the most love and appreications I have.. If it werent for you on here I would probably be in jail or hospital.. I am having a hard time keeping my cool. I am having a hard time not going to see my daughter and her useless piece of crap b/f and beat him to a pulp, but then a stoop to his level.. I received a really colorful email from him on myspace yesterday,, and believe me,, its being saved,, after I calmed down, and I wrote one back as an adult,, he probably wont be able to relate,,he made some really nasty and crude remarks and comments and I came at him with both guns,, but never swore, unlike his which is every other word,, I told him what I thought and my reasons for thinking he was the one who trashed their apartment, and he couldnt deny anything I said because i had facts to back me up. Unlike him. My daughter has had to lost her mind. I checked out all there myspace pictures and such and there is picture and comments of him doing drugs, which the kids have told me about. My grand daughter has been with me all weekend,, and told some really not so nice stuff.. But says gram please dont say who said it I have to go back there,, he will be mad at me,, What a terrible way to live. GDD even said gram -mom Knows its wrong why does she have us kids live like this, when we grow up we will think abuse is ok,, but its not. It hurts when a 10 yr is smarter than the adult she has to live with..So what do I do,, I am going to push the issue of the mental abuse on the kids emotional issues these little kids have to deal with.. IT IS WRONG.. The b/f verbrally abuses these kids,, the last day I was there he screamed and yelled at my gds,, who is 11,, calling him all kinds of name,, because the boy wanted to come to my house,, but they wanted the kids there to clean cuz social services was coming the following Tuesday,, which the kids werent there when they got there,, there has been complaints,, but they always give them warnings and never just show up,, and if they are home they dont let any one in. They have to find another place to live now the land lord is tired of the damages to the apartment,, he is owed 4 mos rent,, now the kids will be up rooted again,, the b/f's mother wants them to move closer to her,, well then no one down that part of the state would know them and they would get a fresh start.. but the conditions the kids live in wont change.. He will still be there and the mental and verbral and emotional abuse will still be there... And I am waiting to have to take her to court for grand parent rights,, which I have done all the state required child impact classes, to take it to court if I have to.. But what happens to the kids in the mean time,, gdd-gds dont want to go back to the house.. The b/f has mental issues,, he should be on meds,, split personalty and bio-polar which I dont understand but if you need help get it but he wont , he doesnt see a problem. Any ideas???? I have to go to work today, for a while I dont want to let the kids out of my sight.. LOst,, Please what ever prayers you can offer,, you are my true family,, I do depend on you more than you know, if nothing more to listen,, Thank you.. Donna

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
sfg, have you talked to social services yourself about the latest issues? Any way you can tape what your grands are telling you? Better yet, take the kids in now, this weekend, to talk to a social worker in child services. IMHO, it is time to step in, whether your dd likes it or not...those kids deserve better than to live in this situation, and they are old enough for the caseworker to listen to. With the kids saying he is doing drugs in front of them and the myspace pics to back it up, plus the kids telling of verbal and physical abuse in the home, the state can and should step in to remove the kids from the situation. You ready to take in 4 kids? Child services first choice is to place the kids with family, so if you are willing to take them, you'll probably end up with them. Maybe that will be the wake-up call you dd needs to kick him to the curb. If she chooses him over her kids, then she doesn't deserve them at this point in her life. Whatever happens with the adults, the kids need to be in a safe, stable home - and they don't have one now. (((hugs))) to you, 'cause I think you know what you're going to have to do and it's not gonna be easy for anyone.

gmb, let me know how your bean experiment goes...perennial limas wouldn't thrill me, but I'd sure love to be able to grow green beans all year long. :)

Michelle, I felt like that after I passed my certification boards last year - happy to have passed, but it took a while for it to sink in and really feel like I did something important. Everyone else kept telling me how proud they were of me for doing it, and it just really didn't feel like I'd done all that much. Maybe because I didn't have to take a review class or anything to pass the test, and I didn't think the test was that hard? :shrug: It will sink in over time, trust me!

It's snowing here again...I heard it was supposed to warm up overnight and rain like crazy tomorrow, but so far it's just wind and snowflakes. I hope it breaks during the night, as I talked to my bff today and we are going to drive down to Wilsonville (south of Portland, OR) to Fry's again tomorrow to take my dd's laptop back in for servicing. This time I'm not taking no for an answer - we need to get it fixed. We'll go to Costco while we're there, and to Goodwill if we have time - I have to work tomorrow night, so we'll be on a tight schedule.

I think I've picked out the school I'm going to go through for my BSN - I've been talking to some of my co-workers and comparing the programs they are using. My main concern is that I didn't want to have to get a student loan, but it looks like I will have to take one out before I can start the program. I can be reimbursed $2K through June, and another $2K in the next fiscal year through work, but I'll still have a fairly hefty loan if I do it all in 1 year. There is a grant program that (if it's still available), will repay my loans for me if I sign a 3 year contract with my employer, so that's an option. I hate the thought of taking on more debt, but I guess educational debt is good debt...I will get a raise once I have my BSN, and I don't intend to leave my job here in the foreseeable future, so signing a contract is no problem.

I ground up the rest of the ham in the food processor yesterday - made awesome sandwich spread. I put a couple baggies of ham shreds in the freezer, too - they'll be good in scrambled eggs or on pizza. No waste in this ham - although Abby did give the ham bone to the dog - we don't like beans, so no ham and bean soup. Wish I did like beans - they are so good for you. It's a texture thing for me, I think.

Well, better get going - still have a few things I'd like to get done around here this evening. Take care, all. :)

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Good Morning friends.. Its early,, I am tired,, its going to be a long day. I have 2 of the grandchildren with me now,, the oldest of these 3 already lives with dad. I am not sure where my 6 yr old is, I know not with mother and b/f. They havent even been back to clean apt yet. I did receive 2 more charming colorful letters from him.. She hasnt contacted me at all.. I am going to call social service today. I didnt this weekend because she didnt have any of the kids except his and they have been at his mothers,, and having a wonderful time by the looks of all the new pictures they had added to their my space pages.. Need to find out how some one can take pictures off my myspace page and add them to theirs,, my dd took pictures of the off my page and their fathers g/f's page and added them to hers,, I think it was in her mind to justify adding all kinds of new ones of the baby,, Looks like they are all one small family now. I am so tired of how these children are getting treated or not treated. The stories they are telling are terrible,, and the adults can say the kids are lying all they want but when 3 kids tell you at different times the same story whose lying? Not the kids. So it will be a busy day,, I am headed to Police station to talk to my boss and see how to proceed from there,, I have had custody of these children in the past. 5 years . The oldest 3 only went back to their mothers 4 yrs ago over this same Christmas vacation.. Also I find strange the b/f keeps writting to me and my dd hasnt said one word.. A little control on his be half. Well need to get 3 kids on the bus,, and get this day rolling.. Keep us in your prayers please,, I will protect my grandchildren but probably loose my dd at least temporarily.. But its happened before.. Thank you all for being here for me.

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
I'll tell you what...this is the best place a person can ask for as a place to vent some pent up emotions. I pray that this issue in your family gets resolved so that the Children can be in a safe place and away from drama. It's truly a sad thing to see a child live in such horrid surroundings.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Ityped a big ol post yesterday and then couldn't post it! Or open any threads besides this one!
Edited to add- now we know it works- the glass fell out of our door yesterday at the lake. Yes, our Category 3 hurricane proof Jenn Wald Special door we paid an arm and a leg to Home Depot for- and the store says to contact installations and the installations say "that's an iddue for the store", meanwhile, we only have the inner door glass, which I'm not trusting to be hardened after what happened to the outer glass, between us and the elements. Grandfatherbear has been calling for 2 1/2 weeks now and being nice. We went to the door department and verified they were selling this particular model still..
The nurse we borrowed from Continuous Care to help us over a tight spot, who came kicking and screaming-she liked her 12 hr shifts doing one on one care, and her 4 days off a week- now has asked to join the team fulltime. It means switching to a 5/40 week-she said she had learned so much in the 3 weeks we had been partnered and she really enjoyed working with me.:sing:Makes me feel good, it does...
The potato fairy took our Yukon Golds we bought at Publix 2 weeks ago. We ate about 1/3 of tthem and planted about 1/3 that sprouted, but there were still a couple good for eating. I thought I brought them home 2 weekends ago, but we couldn't find them in the car or the city house-GFB was quite sure we left them at the cabin but we couldn't find them there this past weekend:help: I am really worried about finding them BEFORE they turn into a puddle of blackish goo that I have to smell out with my nose. That's happened before, you know. Onions and potatoes and fruits, and once about $100 worth of meat my son left in the trunk of the car when I told him to bring in the groceries...The socks fairy and the car keys fairy got together and their offspring was the potato fairy...
While I was searching the trunk again today I found the purple bean seed I was about to email the seed company to ask where it was- :help:and the Christmas card from DS and DDIL that had the one and nly pic of the grandkids with Santa Claus-:help:My coworkers laugh when I tell them I'm loosing my memory, they say it's just ADD...Wonder if they will open "specilaty" ADD wards for us when when get old, just like they "specilaty" Alzheimers units now???:help:

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
to all my true family and friends on here I love and appreciate all your prayers.. If you want to know what my actions have been on the situation in my grand childrens lives PM I will gladly tell you,, we have had some lurking guest who have found out some of my concerns and fore warned of my concerns and suggestions, to my other family. Now the fight is on for visitations and I have excused of repeating someones elses concerns also. Not totally true. so please pray for my grand children,, they need you know more than ever.. Thank you
Donna

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
Not uch going on today
Slept all day after working early this morning. Found out that Dad will have to undergo bypass surgery on his leg. That will happen in March. I'm going to try to be there with him for that. My coworker took the math test required for Cashiers, so that he will hopefully be eligible to work up front while I make donuts. If he passes then they will give him his background check and I think a drug test. I find out about my grad school application next week sometime, so that's up in the air too. We'll see wht happens! Take care all!
MichelleIL

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Good Morning. Ok not so nice traveling.,by the looks I will have to drive dh all the way to work until we can get the little car on the road. The guy he usually travels with we believe quit his job today. Of course the ice and sleet and freezing rain, just impress me to drive in. Hope everyones day is going well. I have to go out and do chores, running a little behind now since I just got back home been gone since 5:15am. We have a no transport day for ds and his day program and no school, all because of weather. So hopefully dh can get a ride home they are only working 1/2 day. i really dont want to go back out and drive. I can hear the sleet on the windows.. Just got a call for s=ds mother, they are starting him on proztac(?) on Saturday for his bed wetting and depression,, i have awhole lot of bad feelings about this,, we dont get the same, nervous, panic kid she gets,, neither does he act that way around his grand father..DH is going to have a fit. Isnt there some natural something he could take.. From my past experience with meds and foster kids,, one med leads to another,, We feel he doesnt need them,, his mother is pushing the issue, last yr it was singular for asthma,, he doesnt has a breathing problem, 2 yrs ago it was he needs glasses,he doesnt need glasses, he has been tested by an out side eye dr,, his sight is fine. Why do some mother have to find something wrong with healthy kids?

well its pouring now I better get busy,, Please stay safe

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
WOW SFG, you are really going through with this kid! I'm sitting herre watching cops roll through the neighborhood. I live in a trailer park,so I'm wondering if my neighbor actually reported that "funny smell" she keeps smelling once in a while. I certainly hope so, cuz if it's a meth lab, it's more dangerous. Other than that, nothing to report. Had ham, green beansand potatoes the other day. Having them for lunch today. For the first time in a long time I bought a whole gallon of milk this morning. I've got enough cereal to use it up I think. have a great day everyone, and stay warm. I think I'm done venturing outside for the night! I'm sure I can find something to do around the house to keep me busy. Bye
MichelleIL

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
MichelleIL-- stay safe!.. My dh just went to a firemens training on meth labs and how terrible and what it does to the people that use it and make the stuff. All the ingredents are toxic,, how would any one in there right mind ever do that stuff. Its pretty nasty here, i did get all my chores done,, and finally just got out of the shower, here it is noon time,, cow barn smell was a little more than I could handle til tonight. LOL,, Guess I am going to put a pork loin on with some cabbage and potatoes for supper, and do some baking nothing else to do,, Dont want to be out traveling.. Really praying boss bring dh home,, crossed fingers toes,, Well on my 3rd load of laundry can only do one more and still have room to move around since I have to hang it up next to stove to dry.

Every one have a safe day

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Good morning, all! Like gmb, I typed out a nice long post yesterday, only to have it disappear into cyberspace. :rolleyes: sfg, stay warm and safe - I sent you a PM. :) Michelle, so was the "funny smell" a meth lab? If it smells like cat urine... I just don't get putting things like drain cleaner and iodine tincture into one's body. I know it's terribly addictive, but it seems so stupid to try it the first time! My older dd used meth for a few years - thankfully, she was able to get off it before deciding to have my grands. gmb, you made me laugh with your potato fairy geneology! :D I think we must have something similar here, but more generic...if I need an item, I can't find it - if I no longer have a need, then I can find it just fine. Drives me batty because it happens ALL THE TIME!

We are getting rain by the bucket here. If you follow CNN or the like, they have been talking about it on there, even. We are expecting severe flooding in the lowlands...thankfully, I live high and dry, but I am worried about those I know that don't. Jon's house is the highest on the street and the last big flood had water in the yard, but not the house, while his neighbors were all flooded. If it is any worse, he'll be under water, too. My boss lost her house for the second time in 10 years last winter, and they are just moving into their new house now - I hope it is sitting a lot higher than it was.

I took another step toward prepping for the future by ordering a small hand laundry washer from Lehman's yesterday. Since Jon is laid off, he can't keep the house, and I'm sure the bank will be foreclosing on him soon - I do my laundry at his place, so that won't be an option anymore. I can do some laundry at my bff's house, but I'm hoping that I can use my filtered water at home to wash the clothes a bit at a time, then spin them out in my regular washer with the water turned off so I don't end up with iron on the clothes. I also got my manual grain mill Monday, so I will be playing with it to see how many muscles it takes to grind wheat berries into flour. I'm still loving my water filters, too - I haven't counted up how many gallons of fresh water I have stored, but I'd estimate it at over 100 gallons, plus all the buckets lined up under the drip line on the barn for watering the animals. Boy, they're filled to the brim right now - sure wish I had a cistern!

I had so much fun Monday - went to Portland with Abby and my bff, T. We took the laptop back to Fry's and got a loaner - but can't make it work. :rolleyes:. Got a good buy on photo paper while I was there and picked up some photo ink. Then we went to Costco for lunch, gas and a little shopping. I got out of there for under $100, which is a minor miracle, and have added quite a bit to the pantry stores. Best of all, I didn't buy any junk food. :) Then we hit our favorite Goodwill store and I founds some awesome deals on rope lights, new in the box icicle lights, and an American Girl (knockoff) doll in Christmas clothes, all at 75% off. I also found a brand new in the box set of jumper cables to carry in my SUV, and a white framed mirror and shelf. Abby found a pile of books by her favorite fantasy writers, so she was happy. Used our club card to get another 7% off all we bought, too. Then we hurried back to town because I was scheduled to work that night. Drove home and found a message on my caller ID at home saying I was called off. If they had called my cell phone like they have been told and told and TOLD to do, we could have taken our time, shopped the Goodwill in town and visited some more. Grr.

I ended up being on call all night Monday and took the night off last night (was on call again) since that gave me nearly 2 weeks off, a regular vacation! Of course, if they have trouble getting enough nurses in due to weather, I'll go in.

Today I've been cleaning house. I cleaned out the fridge - always an adventure, and am making banana bread this afternoon. I have turkey on the stove for soup, and I used some "getting old" fruit and yogurt in combination with frozen strawberries and milk to make smoothies for breakfast...mmm. I've also washed out some things (clothes) in the sink with filtered water and took out a few stains. Mopped floors, did dishes, just the usual. Abby's finally braved the rain to go out and do chores - we have standing water all over the yard and field. Probably should conserve water so the septic doesn't get overloaded with all that rain.

This afternoon, I'm also going through last year's receipts and sorting them out for taxes. I won't have my W-2 for a while, but at least I can get an idea of how much I'm getting back. I'm hoping for enough to pay off the credit card and finish funding my Roth IRA for 2008...be nice to be totally debt free other than the mortgage again. I also need to call the bank and ask if re-financing would be worth my while. So, I guess I'd better get busy with those jobs. Take care, all - stay dry! :)

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
My pos ton the attempt to perrenialize beans was a little (lot) incoherent. I hoped to use half the pots and trelli (trellises)for green beans in a sunnier location and leave half the limas alone, to see if they would perrenialize like our sweet potatoes. GFB didn't want to uproot ANY of the limas and suggested instead buying new pots and trelli. (Hey- if the plural of hippopotamus is hippopotami, why wouldn't the plural of trellis be trelli?)My NY resolutiion is to buy a clay pot every payday since the plastic pots don't last all that long. I ripped some sprouts of f our homegrown sweets and have been keeping them in a juice glass of water. Just added a pinch of Miracle Grow to it also. I also learned last spring to take cuttings off the vines and plant them and they will root. Still a little too cool to run the risk of planting them. outside tho.
Grandfatherbear and I are renting a car for an Orlando trip this weekend. With our Neon and Toyota being 13 and 14 years old, respectively, we want to minimize possible problems. Anyway GFB promised I could have Sunday at the lake to play in the dirt...Next year we are considering cheddar yellow and purple cauliflower, and I will be growing a lot more of my own starts. Very frustrated this year by the shortage of broccolli starts.
Got out in the city garden before the rain and GFB cut 2 heads of broccolli and we also found dugar snap and snow peas, and a couple more green beans. Don't know why the pole beans are being so tardy to set beans.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts