Daily Journal~December 2006

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Melissa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Post your daily homestead happenings here.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

Let's see, yesterday I cleaned up the house, fed the animals, and then went to the library to work. I decorated a bulletin board for Christmas in the main hallway and decorated the library too. Wednesday we had company for dinner. I had made this friend of Cale's a quilt for his hunting cabin. He really liked it and I think he was very surprised. The weather has been exceptionally warm. I was able to finish off the garden beds, they are all ready to "sleep" for the winter.

Today I have cleaned house, taken care of the animals, and am ready to sew for a while. I also want to clean up my freezer a bit. Just needs some organizing.

Cale was out hunting with two other guys and they were soaked to the skin when this huge rainstorm came through. They had to come back here to dry out. I have not seen rain that hard in a long, long time. Now it is supposed to get cooler.

Tomorrow I plan to get the Christmas decorations out of the attic and straighten up in there a bit, plus I will do some more sewing. Not much else going on around here.

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a pretty quiet day here, too. The snow and ice has all melted away, and there's even a bit of blue sky in spots. Makes chores easier when the water isn't frozen! I've had the last few days off, and go back to work tonight. Today I am paying the first of the month bills, and balancing the checkbook. It's paper filing day (blech), so I'm trying to work on paperwork, and just general housework. I've been decorating the house a bit at a time, and it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here. Talked to my ddil this morning and she confirmed that I bought the right tool chest for ds's Christmas gift. :) She bought him the other part of the set, the BIG chest. Trying to get Abby to get busy on her schoolwork, but we're having a so-so day of it so far. Then there's her room to clean again. Not looking forward to that, but I'm looking forward to the results! Should I get all the other stuff done, I'm supposed to paint the guest bath today. Well, it could happen....

Melissa, did the winter storms miss you, or are they moving your way? Hope Cale and his buddies are warm and dry again! We get the downpours like that here, too. :)

4. Melissa

Melissa member

No snow, just the rain which did not last long, but we had lots of wind. It is much colder now too. I was really enjoying that warm spell, made feeding chores more pleasant!

This morning I had to have Brady and his friend at basketball practice by 8 am. We arrived a few minutes early to find that practice was cancelled due to the power being off. We went ahead and bought a few groceries since we were out. BUT I forgot to get Lindsey's hot sauce, she almost cried!!! She is addicted... I told her I would get some the next time I was there.

The girls had the house clean when I came home, Kadia and Megan went to do a house-cleaning job, Brady and Lindsey carried in the groceries and are getting ready to go out deer hunting. I told them to shoot us a doe today as it is cold enough to let it hang until Monday and then I will butcher it.

Well I had better get busy, I am going to make some potato soup and do some sewing. Have a nice day everyone!

5. manygoatsnmore

Hi all!

I had a fun, but bizarre night at work last night; had to confiscate a lighter and cigarettes from a patient who was threatening to smoke in his room, WHILE HE HAD 6L OF OXYGEN GOING TO HIS NOSE!!!! :eek: I nearly got slugged in the process, but luckily I jump pretty fast when I need to, lol. Better that than have an explosion and fire in the building. Had to call security and fill out all kinds of paperwork/do extra charting. I was working with 2 of my favorite nurses last night, so we had a fun time despite a busy night.

I made a few stops on the way home, gassed up the SUV, stopped for groceries, checked out Goodwill for boots - and actually found what I needed. Bought a pair of riding boots for myself, chore boots and snow boots for both of us - 6 prs all together. Won't need to buy any boots for a few years now!

Abby was up and riding when I got home, so I swung up and rode for a bit while she was doing chores. I bought a new (to us) saddle a few weeks ago and it fits like a dream. It also has the narrow bars that we need for our high-withered old gal, so it fits her comfortably, too. My knee still aches after a while, but I think as I ride more, it'll adjust.

Came in and did a load of dishes, straightened up a bit, and now it's time for me to get some sleep. I work tonight, and then if the weather is still dry, I'll get out and start dragging the field we cleared a couple weeks ago.

Take care and stay warm, everyone! :)

6. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, all. We drove to Bradenton (lower FL west coast) Saturday morning. We had the grandkids with us. Lunches at a Roadhouse Grill with a pond- the kids enjoyed feeding the softshell and redeared turtles and the ducks and ducklings. Took them Christmas shopping, hoping to find something for their parents- didn't find anything, but they did buy for each other. Sunday was warm, sunny and the lake was flat and glassy- so we took out the paddle boat gifted to us by one of Grandfatherbear's coworkers when his HOA banished them. I also did laundry and hung it The weather has been cloudy and scattered showers for so long now! Unfortunately most was still damp by te time to take the grandkids home. I thought I would leave it up overnight, today is foggy, sputtery rain and COOL. :help: I don't WANT to run it thru the dryer- but if its still damp come noon then I must.
    I had a container of jingle bells and a length of gimp- the grandkids used the 2 hour car ride to make wristlets for themselves and a necklace for their mom (dd)Now that Grandfatherbears monthly pay is deposited I must hasten to do Xmas shopping. Hope everyone has a good week.

7. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Good day to all!
    I have been so busy lately! Helped decorate the church for the Holiday season, gathered props for Christmas musical, decorated my own home(still in process), getting ready for dd & family's month long stay, everyday life & finishing up my gift list. I am done shopping, just needed to gather all my goodies & see if I want to create anything from supplies on hand.I can see that most of you are pretty busy,too. MGM_ wow! You got a great deal on those boots! I got myself 2 pr of boots last yr. One lined @ Rural King for about $10 & a pr of rubber galoshes that had been a df's dh's (who passed away) for $3. You are a hero to many not just the place where you work but to all of us who read your posts! Keep up the great work! Also, good to see that you've gotten some great family time with estranged loved ones lately! God is good! Hope the holidays & the New Year bring forth even more time with them. Hope Abby is doing well! I miss my dd's being home. Even in their teen yrs.There were times I didn't think we would survive but we did & here we are so many yrs later. They have dh's & kids of their own. Life goes too fast. My oldest dd was over a few days & helped me work on getting ready for holidays. she saw my list on the counter & w/o asking, just started to do things & cross them off list! She's really a tenderhearted person. We worked together doing the church stuff, too.
    I have been feeling the stress trying to zap me this past month. I have experienced some S.A.D.D. before & when I sense it is wanting to happen, I get busy praising God & thanking Him for all the good things in my life. It works! I just have to get the first word out of my mouth & the rest flow! Maybe this will help someone else.
    GMB- Hope you are taking time to enjoy your life! You have earned it! As my dgm passed away, I am in the market for a new one but I am not young enough to be your grandchild but you still would make an awesome friend! Hope your Holiday season is wonderful!! Take care & watch out for those winter birds! They don't always drive the greatest!
    I have some laundry to finsih today, dinner to plan & to put away what I'm not decorating with. Then I have to take doen my dinette set as dsil is taking it back to base this weekend so they can have it packed in their stuff to be sent to D.C.
    Have a wonderful, peaceful Holiday season! Take time to smell the crisp air, to watch the snow falling, to hear the ice crunching under foot & to savor the love of your family. We are truly a blessed nation!
    Merry Christmas to all & May you have the Most Wonderful New Year ever! I know it's early but I had to get it out! Patti

8. Melissa

Melissa member

Yesterday afternoon I got into the mood to sort books. Spent too many hours going through them, you know how that is! Brady and I made our Christmas count-down calendar last night. That is always fun. Cale went back to work today after being off for almost two weeks, he is grumpy as a bear! Too tired from all that hunting and it is cold out too.

Well I have to run to the school to pick up the fruit Lindsey sold for FFA, then supposed to go to Brady's first basketball game. He does not want me to come, says there team is really bad and it will be embarassing! Then I have a board meeting at the community center. Busy evening, always hits all at once.

9. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been really busy 'round here - the snowstorm starting last Wednesday has left us with still a little bit of snow on the ground. I'm actually hoping that this is a sign of things to come and we have a very wet winter (and I wouldn't mind if it was mostly snow either).

We've been doing a lot of Christmas shopping too - today we bought the bulk of the boys' presents - they'll be getting rappelling gear this year. It wasn't cheap, but it's so much better than toys, and they really took to it and are wanting to go again. Other than that they're just getting a few small things; books, clothing and probably a small toy or two. We're nearly done, just a couple more things to pick up and I can do the happy dance and avoid all those nutso people in the mall! Hopefully after tomorrow it'll all be over.

Oh! Better go, I have to pick up Lance and Nick from his basketball practice in 15 minutes! More later!

10. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Today I put up the Christmas tree, decorated the house, got the oil changed, bought my DD a Christmas gift, went for a walk and got the tuna patties ready for supper. Now waiting for DH to get home. Better go close the Chicken house as the appear to all be inside now.

11. Grandmotherbear

Came home early yesterday- sick as a dog. Called in this morning. Grandfatherbear had a flat tire last night and put Fix A Flat in it and the can connestion exploded and dumped goo all over him. I ran his clothes thru the washer twice after he showered, aand had to take borax to his glasses to get the goo off them. at least he didn't get it in his eyes. We dropped his car at the garage this morning and I drove him to work, then went back to bed with an antihistamine. yesterday I had two asthma attacks and got numb lips several times, so i was probably over-breathing. I have no energy at all. I've woken up twice now with foot cramps, and can feel the lymph nodes along the collarbone and in one armpit swelling. Yick.
    GFB is sicker than me but insisted on going to work anyway.

12. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

What is it about men? I think there are two types when it comes to being sick: the denial type - I'm not sick and you can't make me rest/see dr./slow down, and the whiner type - I have the sniffles so the world should stop and then revolve solely around me and what I want. My husband falls into the first category - drives me nuts, when I know if he'd just rest for a day or two he'd be well much faster.

This morning I straightened the kitchen a little and did a load of laundry, then had to run Lance his gas hedge trimmers (he's actually doing a tree job today, his first in about 2 months!). Our Big Lots store is closing - the rent is too high (go figure, rent is to high for all the stores I like in this town) - anyway, I stopped in to stock up on cleaning supplies and they were already all sold out. I did buy some pull-ups for Jake to sleep in (can't seem to break him of needing one at night, I'm trying to be patient), and found eyelash yarn for $1/skein. I bought about 6 and am hoping to crochet a scarf or two before Christmas.

I talked to my neighbor/hair dresser and she's going to cut my hair (just a trim) in about an hour - I haven't talked to her in some time, found out she lost her mother and had a car wreck in the last month. She is still very sore as they were rear-ended by a tractor-trailer and knocked into an Expedition in front of them. She was hit pretty hard by the air bag.

Better check the rest of the forum right quick and get with it; my neighbor wants eggs when I get my hair done, and Jake needs lunch before he goes to "help" grandma while I'm out. Plus that laundry needs changed out. Oh Darn! I needed more hangars and forgot to check to see if Big Lots still had any. (wanders away grumbling)

13. manygoatsnmore

Patti, thank you for your kind words. You do know how to make a tired nurse feel good! :D

I came to the end of the year with a bit of extra money in my healthcare flexible spending account, so yesterday I took the leap and went for a free consultation to see if I am a candidate for Lasik eye surgery. I am, and I scheduled surgery for next week! I'll be able to see without glasses before Christmas. I needed to use the money or lose it, so why not do something I've wanted for years? Abby and I enjoyed the trip as we took the scenic route, down the Oregon side of the Columbia on Hwy 30, and over Cornelius Pass into Portland. After my appointment, we checked out a nearby Goodwill, but didn't find anything in our price range. I did buy a few paperbacks on my list and I bought a book on tap dancing. Abby and I have been talking about learning to clog, so I thought it might be interesting to try a few tap steps. My dsil used to teach tap and jazz, so if we find some tap shoes (used of course, we'll have to see if she can help us figure this out before we invest in real clogging lessons). We also ran over to Costco for lunch and cat food, cat litter, sugar, etc. I took her to Michael's to do some Christmas shopping. I found some good stocking stuffers, and a few more presents for Abby's birthday and Christmas.

We've decided that since I can't drive for 24 hours after the Lasik procedure and I have to be re-checked the next day, we will get a motel room near the clinic, and have a short vacation from the farm. It's a long way to drive and I'd have to ask for someone to drive me both days. With the does dry, it'll be easy to have the neighbors come over and feed/water/gather eggs, etc. We very seldom get a chance to take off for more than a day trip, so it should be fun. She'll enjoy the pool, and I'll enjoy the rest!

It's been sunny and dry here the last few days. Cold at night (20's), and around 50 during the days. It's been a welcome break, but it looks like we are heading back into heavy rains by end of the weekend. Christine, I'd gladly send you some of our rain! :D I want to get more of the pasture dragged before the rain hits, so we can have the seed down and ready to grow during the rainy season.

Work has been very busy lately. The night after I took the lighter from my patient and nearly got clocked, I floated to surgical, and we had a code blue. In the middle of our resuscitation efforts I heard a code 6 (patient out of control) called for the same patient's room where I had had trouble the night before. No matter which floor I'd worked that night, it seemed I was destined for an "exciting" night, lol! Last night was busy, but I had good patients - no one stopped breathing, and no one went nuts! Oh, BTW, the patient that coded was revived and went to the ICU. :)

Today I need to finish baking my Christmas basket treats for the night shift Christmas party gift exchange. We play Dirty Santa, and it's always a lot of fun. The bosses buy us breakfast at our favorite "waffle restaurant", and we have fun just enjoying visiting away from work. I should get busy doing my baking now, since I still need to sleep before work tonight. :)

Have a wonderful day, everyone! Take care. :)

14. Melissa

Melissa member

Lots of running today. I had to deliver fruit for Lindsey and everywhere I went I talked too long. I think my jaw hurts from talking so much! I had planned to do a little shopping, but never made it that far. It was a nice day today at least it was a little warmer than it had been.

15. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Manygoats, what an excellent idea to have the lasik with your leftover medical deductions! Let us know how you feel and see after the big event. I think it's an excellent idea to take the little vacation, too. Good thinking!

I get a few days break while hubby and granddaughter travel to visit my family and have an early Christmas with them. Then after they return, I'll go and spend a few days. With the dogs, goats about to kid, sheep about to lamb, we just can't all go at the same time. I'll get a lot done while they are gone, tho! Made a big pot of soup to feed myself without a lot of cooking, and have a loooong list of things I want to do while the weather is nice.

GMB, it's probably too late for you this time, but I've had two different pharmacists tell me to use a zinc product like Zicam as soon as you feel any symptoms of a cold coming on, and it really helps. We keep some on hand now, just in case. After a couple days, they told me it doesn't make any noticable difference, tho.

Everyone have a good weekend, enjoy the good weather if you have it!

Jan in Co

16. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Many Goats, I meant to ask you, can you explain the Dirty Santa game? Thanks, Jan in Co

17. Grandmotherbear

jan- Right! (slaps forehead- DUH!)I've read that - and we have zinc supplements- which grandfatherbear doesn't take more than half the time :shrug: I know a lozenge or effervescing drink is agood way to take the zinc - I'll go lay in some for next time! plus tonight I rediscovered the elderberyy I had gotten in the summer for H5N1 flu and never opened- I could've given him a lot of stuff to make him feel better- other than plain old ASA and Nyquil...I feel some better myself. But I am still taking a benedryl at bedtime...

18. Grandmotherbear

And MGM= Good on you for treating yourself to Lasik. That is one of the truly rehabilitative plastic surgeries- restoring function- how nice that you will be able to drive without worrying about having a spare pair of glasses in the glove compartment. (Maybe I'm just weird- one time my glasses broke when i was a teenager, out where I wasn't supposed to be and with people I wasn't supposed to be with- I had to drive home after MIDNIGHT with my prescription sunglasses and since there i jave been very paranoid about keeping an old set of glasses in the glove box-just in case!)

19. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Melissa- I understand how you felt after visiting & talking so much! Every so often I have what I call a phone day. It seems that everyone I know decides on a particular day to call me & I will hang up only to have it ring in my hand! Yesterday was one of those days. First thing in the am, phone rang, it was my dd. We talked about an hr(one who's moving). Hung up & then Mandy called to see if I wanted to go out today to shop/lunch. Hung up & got on pc.I was on the pc for about an hr our 2 & as soon as I disconnected, the phone rang. Dd, then after that, dm called, then dmil & then Mandy & then dd again! Spent more time on phone than anything! But I realized it doesn't happen all the time, I did get some stuff done & my family & friends needed to hear my voice(esp my dd who's moving). So I guess it was one of those days when I had to decide who or what was more important! I reread your post from the 2nd. You butcher your own deer? Whew! That's quite a chore! You are one gutsy lady! I don't really like handling raw meat & to handle it so close to when it died is almost more than I can think about. I'm not much of a homesteader in that area. It's taken me years to overcome the length of separation we are to where our food comes from! Most kids think milk comes from a plastic container, chicken is only in nugget form & eggs just appear in a styrofoam carton all clean & white(not brown)!
    My other dd came over to visit. Who could turn away such a sweet & lovely group of loved ones? Not me! My dgd's came & they lit up my home for the couple hrs they were here. We watched the Ant Bully with them. It was cute. Anway, after all this I had a funny feeling in my ears. They were all hot & felt sore! Then my throat felt so dry. It is a bit scratchy today. I think I balanced my talking & listenening enough that ears & throat both got a workout! LOL! I am taking a day off from talking today! Well until tonight as have a Missions oriented prayer meeting tonight.
    Dh & I got a Chicago style pizza from a new pizza place in our small town(only about 750 pop). We are so excited to have them here. They own other places & we love their pizza! It was a bit pricey but well worth it! Deluxe w/ everything but anchovies! So ceesy gooey & full of meat & veggies! It lasted for 2 meals. So even though a splurge it was for 2 meals.
    Tongith I am making chicken breasts in crock pot & then we have our own sauce(mine ranch & dh has bbq). Will fix some oven fries & then a veggie & then off to meeting. Dd & family will be here late tonight. They are leaving after dgs gets out of school. They felt it was important to let him have this last full day of school(kndg) before moving & him going to the new one in Jan. He is getting lots of materials to help him stay up with lessons. His current teacher really understands being a military child & has gone all out to help them! She was a military child & wife herself.
    My dgd, Lucie was w/ me at church WEd. We had a local TV channel there interviewing members about what Christmas means to them. One of our members owrks at the channel.It's a Christian network. I was watching all of them & thought Lucie would like to be on TV. She freaked! Her eyes got real big & this look of terror came into her eyes. They then interviewed me & then we walked around visitng others until service started. Last night they came to visit, it came up & Lucie acted funny but I didn't think much about it. Her dm called me at 9:30 saying Lucie needed to talk with me. She was crying & couldn't go to sleep. I asked her what was wrong & she said , I don't want to go to TT(pet name for TV) & don't want you to go neither! I explained to her that they were only taking a type of picute of us & noone was going anywhere. I realized she was having a 4 yr old understanding of TV. She thought we were going away. I told her it was like my picures I put on DVD from my missions trip that we had watched together. That was when I understood what she might've been thinking. I had to go away & was gone from them almost 2 wks on that trip. I prayed w/ her & then she calmed down. Haven't talked to dd today but will calll after I get offline.
    GMB- Hope you all get feeling better soon. Praying for your health!
    MGNM- My dd wanted to get that surgery done but they said she was too high risk as she has pin holes in her retina. She was so mad! She has a a horrible prescription needed to help her see. She wears contacts most of the time. Her lens even in the light weight materials are still thick, they use the lenses for glaucoma patients for her glasses. Hope yours goes well. I know how much she would envy you! Enjoy your mini break w/ Abby! Also, I want to know how your family plays Dirty Santa. Is it like where one picks a gift & then the next one can choose that one or an unwrapped one? & then on & on till all are opened? We've done that & it is a blast!

Well I guess I need ot get going. Have chicken to get cooking, dishes to put away & need to get dresses! LOL! Have a wonderful day everyone! Patti

20. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Play time is over....after an extended time off d/t ice/snow I have to go back to work tonite....get out the whip! I was sooooo happy being a hermit after getting thru the wedding excitement. Finished up the minimal Christmas shopping I had to do, making baskets for the kids and their families....UNO cards,popcorn,cocoa mix, new Pirates of the Carribean dvds ,cookies,tea and mugs for the grownups. All the kids have their favorite Granny Smith's cookie kind so each will get a tin. Reminder,get more chopped dates....couldn't make enough date sandwich cookies to fill them up if I baked from now until the Fourth of July!!!! Still got some knitting to finish. Dug out all our Christmas decorations and set up the creche'--the first year we got married I found a paint your own kit and made our set...love that camel...and DH build me a stable for it. Highlight of Christmas morning was the kids putting the baby in the manger. Well,best get to my dishes and making some homemade TV dinners for DH...try to leave him suppers for the three days I'm gone to work....he can cook but deserves to be spoiled!!!!!!!! DEE