Daily Journal August 2014 (Everyone welcome to post)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

You're on your honor not to post till 8/1!!!
    Mods, on 8/1 please sticky:)

Jan in CO and manygoatsnmore like this.
  2. WildIdeas

WildIdeas Well-Known Member

It's 8/1 first post! :D Yesterday went to Roanoke and visited a gun shop and my FIL machine shop with my superdog in tow. Everyone oos and aaas over him and he is a gentleman everywhere we go (one year old german shepherd). Took a more serious look at the garden to do work this weekend and woke up to rain, which is unfortunate, since we would like to finish up the floor in our abode, which is a one room cabin that had been used for storage for years, so you can imagine what the cleanup has been like. Most of our boxes are still on the porch and unpacked since we need to finish that first.

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol, 2nd post! Where is everyone? It's lonely here (insert echoing sound effects here).

I fell off the working and posting wagon the last week of July, so just had to go back and read the rest of the thread. Cool to see a new poster and a chance to catch up with folks that haven't posted for a while. :)

We've been enjoying the most wonderful weather here this summer, mostly dry and sunny (my tomatoes are loving it), but yesterday brought a 4am thunderstorm! Thunder and lightning, with a torrential downpour....but by afternoon, you sure couldn't tell it had rained at all. I was digging in the garden and the ground was dusty dry. Had to put the sprinklers on again.

I am recommitting to working in my garden a bit each day this month. Now that the fair is over and I've rested up from it, I need to keep plugging away at rehabbing raised beds and clearing out the mess that used to be called landscaping around my house.

Yesterday I managed to spread hen house bedding on the flower bed in front of the house and cut back a bunch of lemon balm on the other side of the front door (plan to dig out that bed sometime in the next few days and replant it). I knocked the asparagus bed frame back together, leveled the soil in it, and plugged in a zucchini plant that followed me home from the fair. I finally managed to pound nails through the rock hard 2x6s (had to drill pilot holes to do it) to build the raised bed frame for my blueberry patch - I think that was my most satisfying accomplishment of the whole day! I've been fighting those 2 crooked, twisted and weathered 12' 2x6s for ages. I'd go to pound a nail and it would go in half an inch and stop dead. Further pounding would only bend the nails. Really makes me miss having a working framing nailer - wish I could figure out why it won't feed nails.

Anyhoo, after all that, I was hot and sweaty...time for a good rinse off under the garden hose and then into the pool for redneck water aerobics. That's what I call resting my head on the blowup ring at the edge of the pool and "swimming" on my back for 20 minutes, lol. After that, I just paddle and float for fun. :D Sure felt good on a hot day. I'm loving having that silly pool set up this summer more than I ever thought I would...I must hop in and out a good half dozen times a day when I'm working hard outside. I haven't had the AC on since I set up the pool, so I'm saving money on electric, too. Only downside is that the flies attack me after I get out - I think they are after moisture, but I get fly bites on my upper arms and back unless I cover up right away.

Then last night I grabbed a big round tub, some buckets and my shovel and headed for the river for sand. Today I'll need to spread it out on a tarp to dry so I can screen it. I want to finish leveling out my patio and extend it around the rest of the back door area. By the time I finished shoveling sand, it was dark out and I was all sweaty again, so I went skinny dipping! :eek: Did I mention I love my pool, lol!

On my to-do list for today:
    Pull the rest of the tansy and thistles - dispose of them where they can't go to seed and spread.
    Dry and screen that sand.
    Move my wringer washer to the barn (it's in the way of my patio expansion).
    Water the garden and orchard.
    Pull out more of the old raised bed boards and build more new frames.
    Cut more cross pieces for tomato supports and place them.
    Cut and hang catnip plants to dry.

Wish me luck!

4. brendafawn

brendafawn Well-Known Member

Well, great start to august. By dgs came to spend the weekend with us, he loves it at the old homestead. We kind of splurged , took him to breakfast at cracker barrel and will be going to see planet of the apes tonight. We don't see him often so we kind of splurge. we will be going on a camping trip before school starts . plan on getting my fall garden in this month. Hope its a good one since I didn't have much of a spring garden. Just tomatoes and herbs. The new homestead is coming along great. Put two big windows in the front of the cabin, got a kitchen sink put in and got running water now. Got the floor for the bedroom down . will be standing the walls tomorrow. Hope to have it finished by winter. . Haven't had much rain here. Had to run water into the pond so my fish don't die. Glad I'm on a well or my bill would be outrageous. I had to laugh when I paid my electric bill, the girl that took my money said she needed to send someone to check our meter because it wasn't showing we were using any electricity. I said we don't use much. We have been there four month and haven't used one kWh . we don't have anything that is a electric hog. No hot water heater, no dryer, air conditioner . we have four lights which are never on at the same time. Three fans, a TV and a refrigerator. So we don't use much. Our bill is twenty three dollars a month. Hope everyone has a great August.

5. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Taking a break from canning while the pressure canner comes up to the required pressure. Whew. Did green beans and tomatoes this morning, then Mom helped me shuck 75 ears of corn, I cut that off the cobs and have 13 pints in the canner, the rest went to the freezer after blanching a bit more. Dh brought home three more boxes of corn and a box of mixed veggies. That will become soup after the large stockpot of veggie/lentil/bean soup gets canned today. I'm so grateful for all these freebies, as we never know what this winter will bring. Probably be feeding the three of us, gd and her family, ds and dd and their families, so glad to have all the produce. Now, where to get more jars? I'm out of regular canning pints, but have about a dozen of the mayo type, which did have things in them and were pressure canned, but commercially. I'm almost tempted to try them, anyway.

Brenda, we splurge on our grandson, too. We see him so seldom, it's tempting to overdo when we do see him. Enjoy the movie!

MGM, Holy smokes, woman. That is your list for TODAY? I might do that much in a week. MIGHT, mind you. You're really getting a lot done. Keep at it, you'll be glad in the long run!

6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

what a nice day outside. got 2 loads of laundry hung outside. then went kayaking (I needed the excerise!)
    after dinner I finally got the one flower bed weeded!! hurrah! now I need to find some organic mulch to put down.
    I wish we would get some rain. my tomatoes need to be watered tomorrow if it does not rain tonight!

7. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

I am super busy tonight at work. I will update tomorrow.

8. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

jan in Co,my goodness I admire you with all the canning you do .You must have hundreds of jars canned.I'll bet your basement looks like a store:).
    I canned 15 jars of green beans and froze blueberries today,and I am quite proud of myself:).anyway that brings it up to over 50 jars of beans,so i am a happy camper.All i need to do yet, is can salsa when the tomatoes and peppers are ready.Not having a basement makes it more difficult to store everything in one area.Got lots of space just not all in one area for all of the food storage.

9. Travis in Louisiana

OK, things have slowed down some. Woke up Thur morning and finished painting the molding boards. When they dried, I moved them in to acclimate to the house temps. Went to the shop and started enclosing the bottom of my work bench where I keep my power tools. I got tired of saw dust getting on them. Before I made the doors, my son came over with is dodge truck. We changed the water pump. After he left, I got really tired, so I called it a day. It was around 5 PM. After a early shower, I ws still tired. So I fixed me a cup of strong coffee. Fixed me right up. I am so used to drinking coffee, I guess I did not get enough while working in the shop. I was beginning to wonder if I had a sugar problem. Friday, I finished working on the work bench, then started checking out the wife's kiln. It had not been used in a while, so I turned in on and tested. Got one part that is broken, so she is going to order it. I also, did a little electric work at a neighbors house. He will not mess with electric. Today, I cleaned out my shop of old cut off pieces of boards and put them on the burn pile. Was going to sweep, but the youngest daughter came over. After she left, I watch some TV till it was time to get ready for work. I hope to finish sweeping up the shop tomorrow after I wake up and hopefully start on my tractor tear down. Coffee time!!

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan, okay, I have to admit, I might have been a mite bit ambitious to think I'd get ALL of that done in one day, lol. About half of the list got done, anyway, so the rest is on the list for today, plus laundry. I think you are just amazing in the amount of canning and processing of food you get through. Every time I read what your produce vendor gives you and what you make it into, I'm in awe. :rock:
    Travis, speaking of awe, I'm blown away by how much you accomplish on your days off and every afternoon when you're on nights. When I was working 12 hr night shifts, about all I had time for was driving, eating (maybe), feeding the animals, and getting as much sleep as I could. :bow:

Okay, here's what I got done on my list yesterday:
    Pull the rest of the tansy and thistles - dispose of them where they can't go to seed and spread. Done, except I spotted a few more this morning, so I still need to pull them.
    Dry and screen that sand.
    Move my wringer washer to the barn (it's in the way of my patio expansion).
    Water the garden and orchard. Done yesterday, but this is a daily job for some part of the garden, orchard, lawn or pasture
    Pull out more of the old raised bed boards and build more new frames. Pulled out old frames, re-set some of my frames in the ground more securely and weeded, but didn't build any more frames.
    Cut more cross pieces for tomato supports and place them.
    Cut and hang catnip plants to dry Done, 2 huge bundles hanging to wilt down before putting in dehydrator..

I also took a really long nap - 4 hrs - because I was exhausted after spending over 2 hours pulling tansy and I haven't had much sleep the last few nights. That felt SOOOO good. It also felt good to swim briefly after tansy pulling and for an hour in the evening. I'm working on physical conditioning, and I'm seeing results. :)

I "played" with my chickens - they love it when I weed and dig up the garden. I think 2 chicks are missing, but won't know for sure until I do a night time head count. They may have just been roaming further afield when I fed the flock and missed their dinner. I had to be careful when I was resetting the boards around the rhubarb bed and weeding that bed, as my favorite Speckled Sussex hen is setting under the biggest rhubarb plant. Luckily her plant has grown another huge leaf right over her nest, so she will be sheltered when I water there today.

And I took more time to myself and watched a couple more You Tube documentaries, this time on Early Queens of England. I've watched The Wartime Farm series and The Tudor Monastery Farm series, and am looking for more farm based historical documentaries. Any suggestions?

Today's List:
    Dry and Screen sand.
    Cut and install tomato crosspieces.
    Move wringer washer.
    Water the rest of the garden and orchard area.
    Spread more chicken bedding on garden beds and fill one bed.
    Dig my chives and disassemble that bed for moving it.
    Put sprinkler on main pasture for at least an hour.
    Work on fair premium book wording (okay, I cheated there - did it this morning, lol)
    Water aerobics for at least 30 minutes straight, preferably more. :)
    Laundry day!
    Sharpen mower blade.

Okay, considering that I rolled over and went back to sleep after closing down the house this morning, that is an ambitious list. Most important tasks are laundry and watering, so anything more is gravy. Off to get to work. Have a great day, all! :)

11. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, Oma, I probably do have hundreds of jars canned. Actually, maybe two thousand, but I've not counted them. I keep finding jars tucked way to the back that are four or five years old. Keep trying to make sure everyone puts new to the back, and brings the older stuff up front.

MGM, I don't get anything else done when I'm on a canning blitz! I'm determined not to waste as much of what the guy passes to us as I did last year. He isn't doing well this year and I'm afraid they might close up an not be open next year, then I'll have to work harder and garden! I'm running out of jars, tho.

There is so much that needs doing outside--I pull a couple weeds on my way back from the barn doing chores and milking, but don't ever get them all out. I need to learn to run the mowers, how to fill small propane tanks from the large ones, how to start and run the skid loader--all in case something happens to my hubby and I HAVE to do these things. I'm pretty useless as it stands now.

I did so much laundry today I ran out of clothes pins. Still have one load of jeans soaking, but will do those tomorrow and give the septic a break. Sure do miss my old double tub wringer washer! The motor finally died so it got hauled to the scrap heap. Waaaaa.

Thinking I'll make BLT's with avocado on them for dinner tonight. Won't heat up the house and we can get out and off to bingo on time. Mama was so excited, she won two games on Friday and is so sure she's on a roll! Not a lot she can get excited about at this age, so we take her.

12. Grandmotherbear

:kung:I am just trying to keep the kitties from walking on the computer. The SC LaQuinta had something not working for our Internet, but we are doing just fine in the Valdosta, GA LaQuinta.
    Thank goodness we discovered kitty pheromone diffusers, spray and calming treats and gel. Not to mention stool deodorizer treats. What a difference between out first couple of trips with the kitties and trips now.

My almost-daughter is a grandmother! We arrived Friday and went to DDs and then we all went to almost-daughter's house. I met the almost-son-in-law (Almost-granddaughter decided she would get married AFTER the baby, so as to see the young man's mettle in the crucible of fatherhood) and delivered the baby clothes (size 9 months and 1 yr- all her baby shower gifties were size Newborn of course) and baby books. We laughed so hard! Saturday we took our grandson shopping for school supplies, clothes, and a scientific calculator. We had planned to take granddaughter along, but she stayed upstairs for 2 hours after we arrived, telling her mom every tie she called up to her to get a move on, "I'm coming"....but she wasn't. I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes, so we cooled our heels for 2 hours before we told her we would take her brother and go on to do his shopping. Since it was only a 2 nite visit, we just left her some money for back to school shopping whenever her whimsy dictates it to be done. Don't know if we will do that again or not. Anyway, we got in from sshopping to hear that almost-granddaughter went to the hospital in labor -all that laughter must have jiggled something loose- and she had a 7 lb 6 oz boy. My almost-daughter and the boyfriend/fiancé were in the delivery room to offer support and the family is doing fine.
    We shared the photos of the Washington DC trip with friends and family and granddaughters comment, when we were talking about the Brumidi art in the Capitol and the art in the Library of Congress - was "Boring!" I am kinda sorry that I won't be having a closer relationship with here, but she really makes me grit my teeth and I am going to stay a little distant from her to assure our mutual survival.
    Off to the steakhouse- we should be back at the lake within 5 hours of leaving.

13. Travis in Louisiana

Woke up today at 1:15 PM. The wife was gone to have lunch with the oldest daughter and have lunch. Was going to go out to the shop, then remembered there was a NASCAR race today. So, I watched the race and snacked and snacked!! Did not go to the shop. It was a Lazy day. I am at work now, drinking coffee and thinking about my projects. You all work harder than I do!!!!

Jan in CO and brendafawn like this.
  14. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Ug, back to work today and the back of my head hurts! I guess it is from having two mirgrains yesterday! drive to work with a heating pad on my neck, that felt good.
    oh well, I'll fix a cup of tea and hopefully that will help.

15. Travis in Louisiana

Woke up today at nearly 1:00 PM. The wife had cooked gumbo. After eating some, I decided to mow the front yard. Was going to mow the back, but it had rained a good bit last night and my son drove up with his kids to swim. So, with the pool in the back, I mowed the front. I am at work now, drinking coffee and I have a taste for a pound cake. Now wouldn't that be good with coffee??? I am off the next two days and will return Thurs. You all stay cool!!

Jan in CO, Peggy and brendafawn like this.
  16. WildIdeas

Jan, I will be learning canning soon! Mgm, I need to take some lessons from you in chore listing. Peggy - are there kayaks that dogs can fit into? GBear, you made me hungry with your steak comment!

The past couple of days have been non stop work since we have had a couple of days without rain finally. This morning I woke up early since it's hot and weeded more of the garden that was planted but not weeded for weeks so when I got here I couldn't even see anything! I've uncovered rows of beans, squash, peppers and tomatoes but I'm not even sure how to weed around onions and garlic that I can barely see. The beets dont look like anything (I accidentally pulled some up with weeds) so I'm not sure about those. I was able to rototill a lot of new ground so we can plant more now.

All afternoon, I chopped away at the jungle. Did I mention that the whole place has overgrown for years now. Mother nature does a good job of taking over but I am determined to tame the wilds. I could see the top edge of a greenhouse and I chopped and hauled out branches and brambles for hours today and look what I found!

[​IMG]

17. Grandmotherbear

Wildidea- yo've got your work cut out for you. Will you be planting winterhardy plants? Parsnips, cabbages, brussel sprouts, etc?
    We had an overnight at the lake and then left the kitties there while we came back to the city to check mail, etc. I got a text from DS that he'll have a 4 day weekend this weekend so I am no trying to set up a trip to see him in NC prior to his deployment. Unfortunately, no youth hostels near either ds or dds cities of residences. I have packed my little suitcase and am waiting to hear back from what used to be the Fay'ville KOA to see if they have the Kamping Kabins available. I can only stay 2 nights but it's better than NO nights, after all.
    Hurt like the dickens. Time to go to sleep.

18. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

wildides- good luck with taming those weeds! they sure can get away from you fast!

19. WildIdeas

Gbear - I have zero gardening experience so it's lucky I have my MIL! I remember we will be doing parsnips and cabbage and I don't know what else yet.

Peggy, I hear it doesn't take long for weeds to start really taking over too. Today we are trying to get work on the cabin done and it's pretty hot. I'm sore too. I guess I lost these muscles while living in the city. Hehe. Happily, it is supposed to start getting cooler tomorrow.

20. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

wildIdeas _ you'll get those muscles back in no time!!!!

we got a little bit more rain tonight. hoping it was enough to fill up all my rain barrels!
    taking advantage of the rain and enjoying sitting on the couch tonight!

Travis in Louisiana likes this.