Dahlias from seed...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Since I can't afford all the varieties of dahlias I want I tried dalhias from seed in my greenhouse this year and wow, it worked! Had mixed colors and a variety called Bishop's Children from Jungs with purply-black foilage which are really sharp. Dug up fair sized tubers for next year where they should be really pretty. Definitely an experiment worth repeating....since I have more time than money! Tip- I work near a quickie mart and everyone goes there for big drinks..I fish their cups out of the trash and they are great for starting dahlia bulbs, nice and deep and they stay moist without having to risk rotting them by watering too much. DEE

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

How wonderful! I also love Dahlias and the bulbs or roots are really expensive. I am gonna try some seeds in my green house next spring! thanks for the idea, kathleen

3. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question to you, but where are the seeds on the Dahlias?

I bought a couple this spring and they both have bloomed this fall. How can I save the seeds to start me some new ones? I need to know where the seeds are. I haven't noticed any on them.

I have some cocks comb planted in the same bed as the Dahlias and I save the seed from them. I think they are also pretty.

Is there any way to save the seeds from cannas?

I bet by now you think I am blonde? :haha:

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

na, i dont think you are blonde just a lost soul like me lol. i dont know where the seeds are on the flowers , i expect they are under the flowers after the flowers dry up? i was just gonna buy some seeds from a seed place?

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know where the seeds are either....hmmmm,good question. But the seeds aren't expensive. I got mine at Jungs and they all grew. Will do a little looking once the catalogs come in for different varieties but I do love those Bishop's Children and will buy more of them. DEE

6. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for answering my question.

I looked at one of my dead dahlias today and I couldn't see any seeds on it. I don't know if a seed pod will form later or not. I will keep checking. Gonna, look through my seed catalogs for them also.