Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stories about old tractor's that have been passed down the generations belong in CF more than anywhere, I suppose.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413503239.316286.jpg

My grandpa bought a '38 Farmall F-20 back when it was just a year or two old. We think. He may have bought it new, but that was not his style. He actually did real farming work with it.

About the time Grandma and Grandpa were ready to move off of the farm and into Windsor, my mom and dad moved us 5 kids out of the city and down to a 20 acre homestead in Archie. The F-20 came home with dad. Many of my fondest childhood memories revolve around that tractor. I still remember all of the rides on the big draw bar that I could barely climb up to. To a young boy, there did not seem to anything it could not do. My dad was a master at operating it. He got Grandpa's 2 bottom plow, planter, and cycle mower. Those are the things I remember him using the most. I liked the plow and planter because I got to ride them and help.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413503146.906803.jpg

The crank has shrunk in size and weight considerably over the years. It was always a test of our boyhood to see who could get the engine to turn over. I always needed Dad's help.

Just a few years ago, when he turned 75, mom decided it was time to move back to the city because his Alzheimer's had finally made the farm a dangerous place. All of us kids, grown and living in the city, had no place for the F-20. It was mine for the taking, but I was at a place in life where I just didn't want it. It sold at the auction for $1600. To my Dad's cousin, Larry. It made Larry sick to think of the very tractor that gave him childhood memories go to someone out of the family.

When Dad died this May, Larry came up to me at the funeral and we started talking farming. He knew I finally moved back to the country and had the space and desire for old things. He said, "I still have your Dad's tractor. I'd love for you to have it if you want it." I didn't hesitate this time.

Larry lives 5 hours away in Oklahoma. We waited until one of us had an excuse to make the drive. Last week he called and said he was headed back home to visit and could bring the F -20. So tonight it is back in the family, even though it never really left. I am very grateful to him for his generosity.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413504426.000834.jpg

I am eager to start getting it going again. We think it just needs some fuel system cleanup. It was running just a few years ago. I plan on using it to mule around logs and the wagon for woodcutting. Just like it did when I was a kid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This story is dear to me. In April mom decided it was time to clean her
property of items not needed. My dad passed away 22 years ago and had
several Farmall tractors and at the time most were sold. Dad verbally left
his B to my son. In June I brought Dads 1948 H with 2 row planter,
cultivators, fertilizer attachment, #8 plow, and harrow home to keep.
Dad purchased it in 1950 from a neighbor when he started farming on his own. This tractor has so many dear stories and memories with it.
It took two weeks and I have it running great with the buzz saw on it.
Mom could not get to our house fast enough and I started it for her
and tears were in her eyes.
My son spent days with my dad and his tractors and know I am doing
the same with my grandson. Despite the everyday issues Life really is
a BLESSING.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Aww, great story and should be a great tractor for you with some work.

Reactions: Awnry Abe

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
These are great family stories. Thank you, from an IHC family. Seth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts