Dado blades

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Beeman, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Looking at buying a dado blade for my 10" table saw. What type is best, the dial adjust or the stack type? Any brand better?

2. poorme

poorme Well-Known Member

stacked blades are supposed to be better, so I bought them. they were expensive, i can't remember the maker...amana? is that the right name? cost like $200 if i recall correctly. no complaints but it's a big pain in the rear changing blades back and forth. what can you do though? i guess you could buy two table saws.

3. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Router and router table perhaps... depends on the size (width, depth, length) of the dado you'll be cutting, how often you dado, etc. It's amazing what you can do with a decent router and table, and how fast you can do it. Table saws have their place, but working with them is somewhat awkward.

cheers,

4. I bought a chinese wobler but have never used it. harbor freight i am sure it is low quality 10-15 $us. If you are doing high grade work like fine furniture i do think the stack is better as it has more teeth hitting and will alow faster feed rate. might find some reviews from yankee workshop or some of the other wood working sites. Any high quility blade maker should be a good candidate. The wobler has no extra parts to keep track of and i planned using it just for rough stuff like garage shelving.For me changing table blades is about the same as changing router bits so i can't see either one having a great advantage table saws typicly have larger tables so would support larger pieces better. I wonder if a dado blade would work out in the radial arm? May be mo better for say tall shelf units.

5. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

The main difference is the stacked produces a totally flat dado where as the wobble type does not. BTW I bought a wobble dial type and it was only $15 at HD and for what I have used it for it works great. the stacked ones are alot higher. You can buy a good wood chisel if you need it smoother.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I always seem to do things the hard way, so I cut a dado with just the saw blade in my radial arm saw. You have to be careful not to go too far cause you can always widen the cut, but it's pretty hard to make it smaller. :no: I don't see why a stacked set couldn't be used in a radial arm. If I had some I would try it that way at least once to see.

Nomad

7. retired03

retired03 Member

I use a stacked dado on a radial arm saw with now problems at all.

When Sears sold radial arm saws they had a book showing how to use a dado on it.