Dadgummed coons

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by whiterock, May 30, 2005.

1. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

About 3 weeks ago I caught a monster coon in a live trap that had been getting into my chicken feed(Kept in Trash cans). Wednesday I cautht another. Saturday night I caught 2 at the samed time. Last night I was raided again.

How long will this continue? Surely I will run out of coons sometime.

2. D

D Well-Known Member

My parents have caught two raccoons and one possum in the last three weeks. Their garden has a very high fence with chicken wire on the bottom two or three feet. Doesn't even slow these kind of critters down.

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Keep it up ... they will slow down. I had a BIG one outsid ethe house last night ... missed him. He was next to the coop and on his hind legs when I got the light on him.

Keep enough feed in the bin that it can't tip. Keep a rock on the lid or use a lock or whatever ... predator proof it ... that'll keep them away for the most part (after a while).

4. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

I am fortunate in that the coons prefer my neighbors barn to mine. (He keeps dry cat food out for the barn cats) For two years he caught coons regularly, and like you, was wondering when the population would thin out. This year the trap has remained empty and nothing is raiding his barn and tearing things up. Guess it just takes time.

5. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Ha!!! I’ve tried so many times to get permission to trap on other people’s property, and the answer is always NO. I don’t even try any more, but I do enjoy reading about the problems that predators cause. I really enjoy reading about the problems people have with bears and other predators after they let their states out law hunting and trapping.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

If you can see him in the dark,get a laser light 'sight'.You wont scare him off. You wont miss,thats for sure.

BooBoo

7. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention ... I just sold one earlier this week, but it was a 9mm handgun. It'd be nice to get one for the .22mag ... just for this type stuff.

8. whiterock

I did the possum thing last month with a total of 4.
    Thing is , these rascals are big. One coon was what I consider average, tow were big and one was HUGE. I had a bobcat last year that was at least 4' long and a coyote ran past me to chse chickens last fall that< I swear, was big as a german shepherd.
    I can't get over the sheer size of the wildlife. I'll be 55 in August, lived here all of my life, and have never seen wildlife of this size.
    Heck, a cottontail passed through the yard yesterday evening that was as big as a jackrabbit. :eek: :eek:
    Ed

9. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

Last year my husbands uncle caught 4 in a live trap, took em for a long drive. He thought they were gone he was wrong (one that he caught had a crooked tail ) about a week later they were back, he spent all summer trapping the same coon.
    Your lucky you only have them outside your house, the one time I thought that my cat needed some different food I bought him some good stuff (every time I fed the cat the house stank of fish, no more enukenba) any way it was summer time and the windows were left open at night. Two in the morning I'm trying to get hubby up cause I here something rattling the back door. By the time we get to the kitchen flip on the lights here's a face coming through the screen upon futher inspection they had already come through the screen door and one is bosting the other up and they are not a bit scared of us. Needless to say it was a fun night and now the cat eats non smelly food. And I make sure that nothing good smelling is left out over night.

Tricky little devils aren't they.

10. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

we always had to tie a dog in the corn field when the corn was coming in to keep them at bay. Keeping the feed in a secure container with dog and human hair around it along with some Iris Spring soap kept them out of the barn. Some hunters that sport hunt had brought them to the area to train dogs and they just exploded. We traped as many as we could and took them back to there homes on the golf course. We could then go by on any given night and feed the coons on the 18 green, and know how they were doing. City people. buying food in change groceries stores, had there coons back. Boy were they mad, telling it every chance thay had to the news papers about the coon promblem

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I think the numbers may be up. I've even been seeing them in the daytime around here. this afternoon around 5 or 6 I saw one out digging in my corn/bean field. He was a good 200 or 250 yards away and at first i thought the brown lump at the crest of the hill was a groundhog but after glassing him I discovered it was a big ol coon. Another one (could be the same one I dunno) I've wandering over to the pond of an evening. I came home the other night and I had one in my driveway so big I thought it was a dog. Freaking huge.

Between the coyotes, foxes and coons I may start trapping again this fall. Been probably 15 years since I ran a trap line.

12. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

So, what do you do with them once you catch em? Does the SPCA loan out traps?

13. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

I take mine swimming. They swim real well until they run out of air. Guess that live trap is a little too heavy to boost up to the top of the water. End of problem.

14. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I've been told that you have to take them at least 20 miles and cross water for them not to find their way back to your place. I've also been told that in the spring, if you have a lot of them, it is a litter. I lost a dozen chickens one time in two evenings, because from what a friend of mine told me, a mother was teaching a half grown litter to hunt?

Don't care for coons, not at all. I've seen them streak over my six foot fence like it's a ladder, and it's pickets, not wire. I keep my feed in the living room, lolol, ok, it's not House Beautiful, and one of my next projects is a feed porch on the new henhouse, but for now, it's behind my front door. I also have to bring in bird feeders at night.

hollym

15. whiterock

Got number 5 last night, average size on this one.

16. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

buddy of mine up the road had three coons trash his classic 71 torino last winter, trying to catch the masked devils for swimming lessons but so far no luck. will not taxi them to someone else so they have problems . they seem to sense when one crew is gone then move in . have to repeat the welcome wagon till they get the message and clean up feed sources

17. whiterock

Number 6, extra large. This blessed mesquite plantation is becoming a coon ranch.

18. whiterock

19. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

use a light with a red lens and be quiet and they wont run. the red light doesnt scare them.

20. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

At least your are going in the trap. We have them somehow get the bait out of the trap and then spring it. Next time, we are tying it down.

I found coon scat beside my chicken tractor yesterday. I'm thinking about sleeping outside with for a while until I get the coon before he gets my chickens. Those birds are destined to feed my kids not some coon. :grump:

Jennifer