Cyprus Tree Question

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Mary in MO, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

I snagged the seed balls (probably 200 of them) from a nifty cyprus I found. They split open into about 6-8 seeds per ball. I read on the internet that they require swamp-like conditions to germinate. Sooooo, I put half the broken balls into a rubbermaid filled with thick compost (chunky) and the other half I put in a corner of the garden in a huge pile of same compost. I poured water into the rubbermaid to thoroughly saturate/flood it. I'm hoping to have some germinate in either location.

Anyone ever tried germinating these trees from seeds? Any suggestions?

Mary

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Don't know about starting the seeds, but once established they can live in drought conditions. We live in So Cal and the only water they get is from rain...and we don't get much of that at all!

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

They are very easy to grow. I'd put some compost, not too rich, or just some peat and sand in a tub and keep it moist. I'm not sure what the germination rate is but I've done them on accident a few times and some of my suppliers grow them on a massive scale. You don't want too much nitrogen in the medium when they germinate or they'll burn off.

--usband o' G

4. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

You can also soak them in ethanol and then plant them directly into your seed soil. It may not necessarily be a case of wet conditions required to break the seed casing and neutralize any dormancy-inducing chemicals...

Jim Stone
    Santa Fe, TX