cylindra beets

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sassy_mare, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

I planted cylindra beets in my mixed wide rows and now I can't remember where! (Forgot to write them on my "map"!)

Can someone tell me what the tops look like? I fear I may have pulled some out thinking they were weeds! I tried to find a picture on the web, but no luck.

Thanks all-

Sheri

2. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

broad leaves, red stems on leaves, growing from a crown

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

may also have more than one plant coming up from the sa,e spot...i think as many as three

4. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

So pretty much like regular beets, then?

Thanks much!
    Sheri

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Sheri, you are absolutely correct! Cylindra beet foliage looks just exactly like any other red beet plant. The only difference is the shape of the root. They are reddish-green right from emergence so if you can't find any, they either didn't come up yet or something got to them before you noticed them. Flea beetles are my bane if I don't get beets planted very early. There may be a nice long row of tiny seedlings one day and only stubs the next. Most frustrating!

Martin

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Hey, Guys:

I don't have a lot of experience with beets but I planted two rows of them today. We expect a rain tomorrow and when this happens in late July it usually will bring plants up for the fall garden.

Question; what besides rabbits eats beets? I can dust them with sevin so I am not worried about bugs.
    Ox

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Ox, deer will eat both beets and chard right to the ground when young. We recently had an interesting example of what they will do to get at something that they like. One gardener formed a sort of row cover out of 4x4 fencing to cover his row of beets. No problem for the deer. It simply put that long thin snout through the wire and pulled some beets right out of the ground. Sort of doing its own version of thinning! This only happened when the plants were about 6 to 8 inches tall. Now they are over a foot tall and the deer are leaving them alone in favor of other good things.

Martin