Cydectin

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoatsRus, Dec 28, 2004.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Is cydectin safe to give to pregnant does?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Nothing is safe for the first part of pregnancy, the implantation period nor during the formation of long bones. So worm before you breed, than only in an emergency would you worm or use an antibiotic on your just pregnant goats, 45 to 50 days is a good cutoff.

We are 50 days from kidding, we do have a small rise in hemoncous worms, so this weekend I will be worming and trimming feet of the entire doe herd which is all due. I will be using Cydectin. 1cc per 25 pounds given orally. Vicki

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Thanks Vicki. I have a sick doe who is not pregnant that needs to be wormed with Cydectin. I was just concerned about my other does who are each about 30 - 40 days from kidding. They were wormed about a month ago with Safeguard (I know... safe for the worms, safe for the goats), as was this particular sick doe who ended up having the blood sucking worms. Since she ended up with them, I just wanted to keep a watch on the rest of the herd and wanted to know if I could use Cydectin if need be, as I know Valbazan (sp?) will cause abortion.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Unless this one doe is in quaranteen or new to the herd, than if one doe is showing symptoms you worm the whole pen, not the individual goat. Yes Safeguard is not a good choice for anything but tapes. Valbazen gets a very bad wrap on the internet, no I wouldn't use it on a goat who was 1 to 50 days bred, unless I had liver flukes so bad I was seeing problems from it. But it is broadest spectrum wormer that is about the only thing that not only gets lungworm but liverflukes and tapes, and still works well on blood sucking worms in most herds. But the information to never use it is wrong. Tramisole and Synanthic are also both flukeasides yet because they haven't been trashed on the internet by well meaning uninformed people, folks still use them. Anything given in the first 45 days of pregnancy, especially in the first 7 to 11 days can and will cause fetal abnormalities, or will cause inplantation problems, which nature than aborts, it certainly is a much longer list than Valbazen. Can you tell this is a small pet peeve of mine :) Vicki