Cydectin

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

This year I bought the new oral Cydectin for my sheep, and opted to use it on my goats as well. I figured it should be just as safe as the cattle pour-on, if not safer, since it doesn't have the carrier. Plus, sheep and goats have a closer metabolism. I know it hasn't been approved for goats, but then, neither has the cattle pour-on.

Anyone else switch? What did you think?
    Meg

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Heck, over 1/2 the things we use haven't been approved in goats....but they work!! :rolleyes: :) No, I have not tried the sheep Cydectin. Be interested to see if you get responses to the affirmative.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Plus, sheep and goats have a closer metabolism.

This is the number one thing that all goat producers fight from the moment they get goats. Sheepandgoats is all one word with the FDA and even in your vets information. Nothing can be further from the truth. Sheep are the slugs of the ruminant world, goats are the athletes of the ruminant world. Goats metobolisims are super fast, why we feed them so much more of everything wormers, minerals, copper, than you do sheep. Sheep store minerals like copper for so long in their sluggish bodies, it's why they need so little copper.

In reality diary goats are milking deer, they are much more closely related to cattle than sheep. Just because the two are relatively the same size, their managment are extremely different. Ones a browser the other is a grazer and it goes on and on from there.

Make sure with any sheep drench or drugs, that you are comparing apples and oranges. With Ivermectin we use beyond the cattle dosage and the cattle preperation, using the sheep dosage and the sheep drench it would give you many times less the amount than the goat needs for a sheep of the same size. Make sure the amont (mg per kg) of the drug in Cydectin is the same as it is for the pouron which is given at the same dose as the pouron for cattle just used orally. Make sure it is not diluted down like most things are because sheep are on the label. I am pleased with the pouron used orally. Vicki

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You're right in most parts, as you usually are. The small ruminent vets teaching here do consider the sheep and goats to be comparable on most issues, but not all. And the dosage given was the same in mg as I would use for the pour-on. That's just common sense.

However, Vickie, for once you made a blanket statement on another species that would have fired you up had someone done the same about goats! (Just gotta call you on it, since it's so out of character for you! ) Not all sheep are grazers. Many of the primitive breeds, like my Icelandics, prefer browsing to grazing. I can't let the sheep mow my lawn, because they'd rather trim the bushes and the trees, eat the daylilies and my herb garden, and get a bite of anything else that would attract a goat. My 'developed' Leicester Longwool, however, will look at you like you just put a rock in her trick-or-treat bag, if you offer her a maple leaf. Every breed is different. I assume most cows are grazers, but I'd bet the primitive breeds there, too, are better browsers.

Meg

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yeah I get it from cow folks also...all the brahma (old breed?) out here in Texas, and crosses of are used because few improve pastures out here. When I asked a local cow owner if I could put a gate out to one pasture I have so his calves could visit and mow down the grass and take the parasties with them...well he didn't think I was funny at all :)

Sorry Meg :) Vicki

6. nursefarmer

nursefarmer nursefarmer

I can't say enough positive about the pour on wormers ! mY FAVORITE feature is how least labor intensive they are.I have used the Ivermectin,and the Moxydectin (spell?) with great effect.I have even used it on my horses,the ones that DO NOT get ridden.It worked well,but the residual left on the horses wasn't real pretty for awhile-like I said,those were the ones that were not being ridden.I am for anything fast,easy and effective.I love pour ons :eek:)

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I opted for the pour on when I saw the new sheep drench because the amount needed wasn't cost effective. The pour on ended up being cheaper.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The pour-on is certainly cheaper. I had to buy the sheep oral regardless, so using it did save me buying both. I have used the pour-on as an oral with no problems before, but decided to try the other just because I had it, and was curious to see if anyone else had tried it. I've wondered about that carrier being given orally before, although like I said, I've never had problems with it.

When do you think the big companies will realize how big the market really is for properly tested goat products...meant for goats! :shrug:

And Vickie, sorry, hon...you're always my 'go-to' person on here, and I really value your knowledge, but I just couldn't resist! :kissy: Still love ya, though!
    Meg

9. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I called the Ivermectin company once and told them that very same thing saying that goats are up and coming. They said they were looking into it. They have since made a product so I guess they were listening.