cydectin

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by hoggfan, Mar 28, 2006.

1. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

I've been worming with cydectin for my goats but have got rid of my goats and bought dorper sheep. I was told that it can cause sheep to miss heat cycles is this so and is it harmful to pregnant ewes.

2. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

I wouldn't use it on pregnant ewes. At least not until it's been tested a bit more. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it may be just fine. It's just I personaly wouldn't take the risk with pregnant ewes.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you worming with the pour on for cattle or the new drench for sheep??

4. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The biggest problem with the pour on is that it is in a water insoluble base designed to withstand a 2 inch downpour on the backs of cattle. The rumen of a sheep is a very water based environment and the absorption of the pour on cydectin is very poor. Fort Dodge, the maker of Cydectin has realized this and has made a sheep drench formula, made especially to be properly absorbed in the rumen. I got mine from a vet named COWDOCTORLADY on ebay. Cost was 55 dollars for a liter bottle and shipping was included. The instructions indicate it is safe for sheep for up to 5X the recommended dosage and OK for use in pregnant ewes up to 2 weeks before lambing. Normal dosage for sheep is 1ML per 11 pounds of body weight.