Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would have helped me when I was first looking for these products so with all the discussions on these, I thought I would post pics to make it easier to find in the feedstore or from the vet.

"Cydectin Pour-On for Cattle" is used ORALLY at 1cc (or ml) per 22-25 lbs. Draw up out of the cattle dispenser with a "needle-LESS" syringe and give in the mouth.

Valbazen is used orally at 1cc per 10 lbs.

BoSe has to be bought from the vet and is given SQ (under the skin) at 1cc per 40 lbs, babies get 1/2 cc (or 1/4 cc for a very small baby). Use a tuberculin syringe to draw up tiny amounts. Note that this is "BoSe" and not MuSe...different strengths. My bottle cost $28.00.

If I have made a typo or an error in dose, please correct :)

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Susanne, some feedstores carry them. They hold just 1 cc and are easy to draw up just small amounts like 0.25 cc or 0.5 cc. I am always out of them though, hard to find locally. I think they are pretty much the same as insulin needles. Probably could order a whole box online.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
What an idea! These photos should be of great help to people unfamiliar with the products. I was lucky enough to learn about them by seeing them in use at the farm from which I got my goats. You do a lot of people a great service. Thanks!

NeHi

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Good idea for this post.

Taking it a step further....

What are each of these products used to treat? Are they worm specific, or are they "general" wormers used for all.
In other words, what is Cydectin indicated for? Same for Valbazen.

When does one need to administer BoSe?

Thanks for posting this. It's a great way for newbies, like me, to learn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can usually get the tuberculin syringes at the pharmacy. They will usually sell them individually or sometimes give them to you.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm going to change my user name to: "thread killer".

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay, thread-killer :)

I use Cydectin on my adult goats to get everything except tapeworms. It has zero milk-withdrawal although I do not use the first several days milk afterwards "just because". I use cydectin on baby goats that live with adults and are not in their own clean pristine pens. Otherwise, babies get valbazen only, which kills tapes, that cydectin does not get. If I have to worm a pregnant doe, I use ivermectin inj. at 1 cc per 33 lbs orally.

At this time, I am worming all goats with a full dose of both cydectin and valbazen, adults and my 5 month old pen of kids. I repeat in 10 days. And then again if gums are pale or they show any signs or symptoms of worminess. A fecal is the only way to know for sure though. This wet hot weather is wreaking havoc on goats in our region....the paracites love it.

Keeping pans clean and bedding clean is an ongoing chore. A goat can become anemic, fail to thrive and then be dead from a paracite load if their master is oblivious to the signs.

Cydectin (cut and pasted from the manufacturer's site):

Indications: CYDECTIN® Pour-On when applied at the recommended dose level of 0.5 mg/2.2 lb (0.5 mg/kg) body weight is effective in the treatment and control of the following internal [adult and fourth-stage larvae (L4)] and external parasites of cattle: Gastrointestinal Roundworms: Ostertagia ostertagi - Adult and L4 (including inhibited larvae) Haemonchus placei - Adult Trichostrongylus axei - Adult and L4 Trichostrongylus colubriformis - Adult Cooperia oncophora - Adult Cooperia punctata - Adult Bunostomum phlebotomum - Adult Oesophagostomum radiatum - Adult Nematodirus helvetianus - Adult Lungworms: Dictyocaulus viviparus - Adult and L4 Cattle Grubs: Hypoderma bovis Hypoderma lineatum Mites: Chorioptes bovis Psoroptes ovis (Psoroptes communis var. bovis) Lice: Linognathus vituli Haematopinus eurysternus Solenopotes capillatus Bovicola (Damalinia) bovis Horn Flies: Haematobia irritans

Valbazen (albendazole) c&p:

Albendazole controls more internal parasites than any other product on the market. Effective against all the major roundworms of cattle, including inhibited Ostertagia. Plus also controls liver flukes, lungworms and tapeworms. Do not use in the first 45 days of pregnancy.

BoSe is used at 1cc per 40 lbs pre-breeding, pre-kidding, during times of stress or illness, for weak or selinium deficient kids, and for a genrral boost to the immune system. Bucks should not be given BoSe within 3 weeks prior to use as it reduces sperm motility. Giving BoSe to a doe just prior to ovulation with enhance the chance of her ovulating with more eggs increasing the chance of multiple kids meaning usually slightly smaller kids and easier birth.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Feral-nature,

Thank you.

This stuff is great resource material and I've printed it and put it in my little goatie hand book.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Just one reminder. BoSe is used if you are in a selenium deficient area. Your local vet and local goat breeders will know whether you need to use it or not and at what dosages. If you are not selenium deficient, BoSe should be used very carefully!

Wonderful pictures, Diane!

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dosthouhavemilk said:
Just one reminder. BoSe is used if you are in a selenium deficient area. Your local vet and local goat breeders will know whether you need to use it or not and at what dosages. If you are not selenium deficient, BoSe should be used very carefully!

Wonderful pictures, Diane!
Thanks for adding that Roseanna...so many people live in selenium deficient areas and do need BoSe that I forgot to include the fact that there are some that do not need it. I love what it has done for my animals. However, i copper bolused them at the same time I started using BoSe so the improvement is a combo effect I'm sure. They were deficient in both selenium and copper and despite my best efforts in providing the best nutrition and parasite control, they continued with some problems...now they are blooming like never before...even their skeletal growth and structure has changed as it seems they are better able to absorb their nutrients including calcium. They look like different goats.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We are in a deficient area as well. The mineral sold at our feed store has extra selenium in it. Is that sufficient for general, day in and day out use?

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rockin'B said:
We are in a deficient area as well. The mineral sold at our feed store has extra selenium in it. Is that sufficient for general, day in and day out use?
Hard to say not knowing the amount of deficiency in your soil, the amount in your feed, the soil where your feed was grown, the selenium content of your minerals and how much each goat actually consumes each day. I feel better now knowing that the selenium has been injected into my goats because i have had kids with WMD (white muscle disease) and now i have a way to combat it and prevent it.

Here are some links that may be useful :)

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/WMD.html

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

http://dairygoatinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=204

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is copied and pasted from the fiascofarm.com website;

Brand Names:

Cydectin
Quest Equine Wormer

Drug Name:

moxidectin

Family: Milbymycin
Treatment & Control of: Lungworms, gastrointestinal roundworms, larvae, lice, mange mites & cattle grubs. Extrenal parasites.
Goat dose: Oral
Cydectin- given orally 1cc per 20-25 lbs.
Quest Equine Wormer - Is 4 times stronger per ml. than Cydectin. I am unsure of the dose for this particular product for goats (the dose would be different than stated on the label.
Milk withholding time: none
Notes:
Avoid getting this on your skin.
Do not overdose this wormer. There are some questions as to whether this is, or is not, safe for use in pregnant does. This may be related to overdosing. I avoid using this in pregnant does.
Do not use topically; use orally. I have heard of some health problems, and even deaths, reported when this wormer was used on goats as a pour-on.

Brand Names:

Valbazen Cattle & Sheep Dewormer Suspension (Pfizer)

Drug Name:

albendazole 11.36%

Family: Benzimidazole
Treatment & Control of: Lungworms, gastrointestinal roundworms, stomach worms, tapeworms, intestinal worms & liver flukes (adult).
Goat dose: Oral
1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally.
Milk withholding time:
In the US: 5 days
In the UK: none
Notes:
Tape worms are the only worm you can actually see in the goats poop without the aid of a microscope, if you actually see worms in the goats poops, this would be a good time to try Valbazen.
DO NOT give this wormer to pregnant does during the first 45 days of pregnancy. (I don't give Valbazen at all during any stage of pregnancy. Since there are other good wormers that are safe throughout pregnancy, I see no reason to "risk it" by give Valbazen at all at this time.)
75 mg/kg fatal.
Do too it's overuse, there is beginning to be resistance to this wormer in the US, Thailand and perhaps other countries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts