Cydectin safe for goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hrc8713, Nov 10, 2006.

1. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

I was going to use Cydectin to worm my goats, but when reading, it warns not to use on other animals. (espcially dogs FATAL).

Does anyone know if it okay for goats? I have a bad worm infestation that Ivermec is not getting cleared up.

thanks

Hank

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

The cydectin cattle pour on-nasty purple stuff--is what alot of people are using now on goats-i believe 1c.c. per 25 pounds-give orally--it tends to stick in the syringe, helps to put veg. oil around rim of plunger first, they do not appreciate it--but does a good job!

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Never heard of it being a problem in goats - in fact, this is supposedly one of the more reliable wormers.

4. horsehelper

horsehelper Well-Known Member

I had the same problem using Ivermectin with no results, so tried the pour on Cydectin (1 cc/ 25 lbs given orally), and I have seen incredible improvement in my goats. Their eyelid color is back to normal, and they look really good. I used it on 25 goats with no problems at all. It is nasty stuff, and they hate it, but it does the job. I just wish I had found it sooner! Don't be afraid to use it.

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Same here, I use it as needed. Never any side effects, but the goats sure know it's not candy....Hold on tight! Tennessee John

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Wear gloves. This stuff is made to be absorbed through the skin.

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

They now make a Cydectin sheep drench that is easier to administer and is supposed to do a better job because it's water-soluble, the pour on isn't.

8. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

Thanks for the info, when I read the warning for dogs I was concerned. the one I purchased is the Oral Drench for Sheep. If that makes any difference.

thanks

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Double check your dosage. Go read the cattle pour-on which you dose for goats at @ 1cc/25lbs. Then see how many milligrams it is. Then read your sheep milligrams/ml, and make sure you use the correct milligrams. I've got it written down, but it's out in the barn, and I'm too tired to go get it for you. :shrug: (I also used the sheep Cydectin this year, but I had to recalculate everything first.)

Under-dosing is just as bad in the long run as over-dosing is in the short run. Check the numbers! Good luck!
    Meg

I re-read that...tired and grumpy, too. Sorry that sounded so rude!

10. Falki54

Falki54 Member

Can you use it on bred does?

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I try not to worm bred does if I can help it, but yes, I have used Cydectin on many goats that were pregnant....never a problem.