Cydectin questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Hi all! I have read that Cydectin is a good wormer to use for an alternative to Ivermectin. I've been using Ivermectin exclusively for a year and would like to use something else now.

What form should I use it in? Do I give the injectable to the goats orally? Do I use the one that is labeled for cows or the one that is labled for sheep?

What dosages, and what form and are their any no-nos? Age limits?

Thanks in advance!

Jillis

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

I use the cydectin pour on for cattle and give it a label dose orally 1cc per 22 or 25lbs. If you use injectable also give orally at double label dose. I don't know anything about the sheep stuff since we have cattle too and use the same thing for both.
    No-nos?
    No pregnants--I start mine on it about 8 weeks old. (just me, some disagree)

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I use the same as above. but no one under 2 mos old.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

jillis is the ivermectin not working anymore for your goats?
    according to some parasitologist we should only switch if an antelmic is not working anymore.
    if you still want to use cydectin you use it orally for the goats. i believe it does not matter if it is labeld for cows or for sheep but i'm not sure about that.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I moved to Cydectin with Ivermectin still working here, because I want something to go back to when the Cydectin starts showing problems. That way I won't have to up the amount of Cydectin I am giving, I can just go back to Ivermectin and/or Injectable Levamisole (during milking), giving the Cydectin a rest and trying to again after several seasons.

Just like with the Ivermectin's the sheep dosage of Cydectin is 5 times less strength than the cattle. So having to use 5 times more of the sheep stuff, it isn't cheaper to purchase even though it initially looks like it would be. So stick to the Cattle pouron, enough folks are using it AND FECALING for us to know it is working...not that...I can tell by how they look stuff! I am using 1cc per 25 pounds orally with wonderful results, I won't go to 1cc per 22 pounds until I see some resistance which we havn't seen at all. Vicki

6. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi there Vicki!

We just purchased the cydectin pour-on, in large part since you and some of the other "gals" highly recommend it. Also, some Boer goat purchasers told me that they were using it and loved it.
    However, they are actually pouring it on--it sounds like you all are using it orally? Does anyone ever pour it on?
    I'd like to know before I worm all of my gals, pre-breeding, and also to pass this on to my Boer goat purchasers, especially as they are relatively new to this.

thanks,
    camille

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes, from my reading on this forum and in goat books, as well as some goat health seminars I attended, I got the impression that it was a good idea to rotate wormers.
    Thanks to all for your input!

My neighbor who raises alpacas has a microscope and does his own fecals; he has offered me the use of his resources! What a blessing!

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Don't pour it on. Use it orally!
    I have heard that some goats have even had adverse reactions to pour on's and drop over dead.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Injectable or pouron you use all wormers orally on goats. Yes there has been neurological symptoms reported in both goats and horses. But testing at universities with parasitologist with small ruminants show that wormers work better orally. Yes they will work poured on or injected, but not as thouroughly in goats speedy metabolisims. I think alot of the dangers of pouron have been grossly over stated, alot like Valbazen will cause abortion, sadly most horror stories are never what happened to the person but something someone herd...check out the story and there is always more to it, never a test or necropsy to go with it, but it's spread as gospel. I don't use it poured on because in my herd with fecal I know how good it is working orally. But if I had a large boer herd of wild goats who are in a squeeze shoot, boy I would want to fecal to see if I could use it poured on! I would not use it poured on with a shaved goat, with a goat being deliced with a pouron, or vaccinated at the same time. I also do not use it on infant goatlings. Vicki

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thank you, all!