Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CWD Areas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A question for those who process their own deer in CWD areas.
How do you do it? What if any precautions do you use?
Tom

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
I don't know, but if you know your Game Commission's website (or whatever your agency is called)...they are likely to have pointers on it.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Cronic Wasting Disease

·
Registered
757 Posts
CWD = Chronic Wasting Disease. This is where their brains turn into swiss cheese, they waste away and they die. Similar to scrapie in sheep or mad cow. No one has shown it to transfer to humans.

I believe if you do not sever the spine while butchering (shooting) or consume the brain you'll be fine. I personally would also avoid the organ meat (liver, heart lungs).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Do not cut any bone.

Dont cut the lymph nodes. The Wisconsin DNR web site has a very good layout of what/where to cut or not cut.

I see you are in IL, but if you are going hunting in the CWD zone, find the locat testing station near where you will be hunting. . Shoot and field dress the deer, and take the whole thing to the testing station. They will take the head, and give you an ID number. This is free.

Go home and butcher. After a few weeks you can log onto the WI DNR site and enter your ID number and get the results.

When I hunt there, I just eat them.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
What Travlnusa said. They don't take the whole head on a trophy buck tho. Just the spinal stuff or some gland...can't remember off hand what they call it.

AND for informative purposes....There are fewer and fewer CWD deer every year here. We live in the highest % CWD in the state, and even here it's super low now. We also saw a HUGE winter kill last year (farmers reported a record number of carcasses in the fields and woods over winter) because of the heavy snow and long long winter. Looks like the problem is starting to right itself.

·
Super Moderator
9,763 Posts
i live in a cwd deer area basicaly 90% of southern wisconsin and 1/3 of nother IL

cut at the knees you are realy just severing the cartolige and awhen you get the hid skinned all the way down over the head leave it on the spine and just remove the meat ten when meat is removed cut the hide ao you can discard the head and spine all together

i belive it is also acceptable to cut the spine and twist the heat off

you can get a video from south central wis lybrary system on how to do it all.

next year you wil not be able to move a deer from a cwd -mz to the outside without first boning it out. per WIS DNR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts