CV Boot repair Q's

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by JV, Nov 7, 2004.

1. JV

JV Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have a torn boot on the passenger side CV joint on my 1991 Corolla. I posted a question here and also looked at other discussion groups and was given some conflicting advice. Because I believe the rip in my boot to be real recent and it doesn't look like the grease still left in the boot is contaminated I am probably going to try the split boot repair (if I can find such a boot- the guy at NAPA today said he had never heard of one) and hope for the best. My question is this- if my CV joints have already been damaged or if my fix doesn't work what am I risking? I know that if the CV joints fail it can be big trouble but wouldn't I hear the tell-tale click click click first? And if after trying the two piece boot I still get the click click click would I be any worse off than if I put a remanufactured axle on the car right now? Thanks for the consistently good advice I have received at this website.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I've had pretty good luck replacing boots only even if there is just little grease left. I tend to like the one piece boots even though its more work. If you go with split boot, make sure edges remain very clean before glueing. (I cant imagine Napa not carrying them, did you ask specifically for a split cv replacement boot? If so try O'Reilleys or Autozone or whatever consumer oriented auto parts chain is in your area) It is a gamble. Little car I bought recently had both outer boots ripped but with some grease left inside that didnt look dirty. I replaced all 4 boots. Shortly after the outer joint on drivers side started clicking on sharp left turns. Probably would have lasted awhile especially since it had new boot and fresh grease, but just to make sure I replaced whole axle. Eliminated a bit of vibration as a bonus. The passenger side axle that I just replaced boots on is doing fine. If you catch a bad boot soon enough, replacing it and adding new grease is good enough. All you are risking is your time and $10 for new boot. If it later starts clicking then just replace the whole axle.

Unfortunately I smelled burn odor and looked and rear main engine seal is leaking oil now and its dripping onto exhaust. Flow is increasing so this has to be replaced soon. My guess is that rear main wasnt replaced when clutch was. Course guess it is theoretically possible this is original clutch though unlikely. Now thats a job on a front drive with a one piece seal. Cost few hundred at shop, but cost me $10 for seal and day and half of grunt work. Should replace clutch disk and throw out bearing while i'm at it and I probably wont have to ever do it again in the life of this car. Then again, I am getting rather fond of this car, so it may earn another engine when this one gives up the ghost.