Cutting old water heater tank

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thegriffiths, Apr 7, 2006.

1. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

I have never had any experience doing anything like this, but I have some metal water heater tanks that I want to cut and make into various farm items.

What options will work to cut them? Preferably cheap.

Thanks.

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

A cutting torch works fine. I use half-water heater tanks for waterers and feed troughs. If your watering (or feeding) pigs weld some cross members on the half-tank...otherwise the 'big' pig will lay in it every time...strip the outside metal and insulation before cutting...

3. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

The sawzall also works great for something like this!

Ken & Sue in Glassboro, NJ

4. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Since Their Core Is An Iron Tank I Have Heard It Is Possible To Make An Iron -wood Fired Heater Out Of Them. I Saved One From Our Little House. I Had The Top Cut Off With A Cutting Torch And I Plannedto Use It In The Back Of The Truck As A Herbicide Applicator....gravity Flow From A Garden Hose......but In The Meantime Some Wonderful 250 Gal. Heavy Vinyl Tanks Came My Way.

5. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

you know i bet if you cut one in half length wise in a certian way would make a decent grader for sand ect.

6. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

A sawzall would be able to cut one? Seems like awful strong metal for a sawzall. I have one of those...wish I had a cutting torch.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Sawzall with a good blade is definetly the way to go! I've cut them using a torch and won't do that again. Tanks are galvanized and the coating makes bad things to breath and makes cutting harder with a torch. Plasma cutter might do well if you just happen to have one, but for my money a sawzall is the trick.