Cutting glass

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MN Mom, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

What is the easiest way to cut glass bottles? Have a idea of building a small cement building with bottle bottoms in the walls to give it light and color. Will a fiber rock polishing wheel work to sand the cut bottle ends?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am told you can soak cotton twine in kerosene then wrap it where you want the break. Light it and let it burn until it almost extinguishes, then IMMEDIATELY put the bottle in cold water. It should break cleanly where the string was located.

DISCLAIMER: I never tried this and don't know if it works. Use all the necessary safety precautions when dealing with flammable materials. Wear protective gloves and protective eyewear. I'm not responsible if you hurt yourself trying this. It is for informational purposes only.

Donsgal
    (dang litigious society we live in)

3. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

I've used a three sided file and scored around glass tubes to cut them. Never tried a bottle but you might give it a try. Make your score around the bottle and then tap it gently and it should break pretty evenly around the score mark. Hope it works.

4. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Once you get the bottle cut, you can smooth the edges with plain old sandpaper. For large production work like you're considering a cheap carbide whetstone might be ebtter

Scoring with a file will work for cutting, but if you have a polishing wheel, you might look for some sort of stone to put on it that will make the score mark faster and easier. You could even use that for smoothing the edges.

Definitely wear eye protection!

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

6. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I used to work at a glass shop years ago, we would wrap masking tape around the bottle to make a straight line. Then follow the tape with a glass cutter.
    We fashioned a long curved wire, about the diameter of a pencil to 'tap' the cut from inside the bottle. Top pops off after you tap all the way around the cut. then sand as needed. The first couple may break so practice on junk bottles first.
    Good luck, you can do it.

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

8. Hubby'sCityGirl

Hubby'sCityGirl The 'Other'-Yvonne

9. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

Is there a sign company in your area that does neon signs?

In my neon shop, I have an electric cutter for the neon tubes. It has a nichrome wire loop on a handle with low votage power running to it. I made a wire loop to fit bottles and cut them for my sister for a project she was working on.

Donsgal, I was reading a journal of my Great Grandmother's from about 100 years ago. She would load up the wagon and head into the mountains. The kids would gather whiskey bottles on the way. After they set up camp, she sent the kids to pick huckleberries, while she would cut the tops of the whiskey bottles just as you described. Then she would clean the bottles well and cook the berries down and put them in the bottles and seal the tops with parafin.