Cutting a hole in my pole barn - help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wannabee, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I really don't want to put in a full-sized door. SO, if I just cut off the bottom part of one panel of siding, will the opening in the barn be large enough for my "herd"? (2 Dairy goats)

It would be about 18" wide and 3 foot tall. Is that big enough for the goats to come in and out of the barn??????

I am wanting to cut the hole this weekend. Pleae give me your thoughts. Thanks!

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I would post this over on the homesteading potion of the forum. I have asked some basic construction questions over there and have always gotten a good responce. Good Luck!

prairie

3. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Just from my own personal experience, I'd recommend you build the opening larger than you think you'll need. Be sure to leave enough height for animals that may jump and leap!

4. GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN Well-Known Member

What side does the snow fall on? How are you going to keep rain out?

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You're going to need some sort of frame around the door.

Also, I would expect that sooner or later you will find a need to use the same door instead of walking around to the regular door. You'll appreciate a larger door then.

6. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

The hole in the barn would be toward the north, so I am not too worried about rain or snow getting into the barn.

What I am worried about is that 18" is too narrow....any thoughts? Please advise!

I still have an entry door into the barn for myself, and a way into the pen, so I am not worried about the size of the opening for myself....

Thanks again!

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I would go at least 2 feet wide, just in case. Once they are pregnant, both try to fit through at the same time, you have to chase one through the hole, etc. I agree that you should frame the opening for support.

Here is what I did. I put in dutch doors (the kind of door that is cut in half) This way I could use it if needed and keep the bottom open for the goats the rest of the time. You will want some way of closing that opening for some reason if necessary in the future. (believe me, catching them for some chore is easier if that door can close)