Cuts of meat

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by vancom, Sep 25, 2006.

1. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

All this talk about chops and loin, etc., has me confused about all the decisions that I will have to make when Fred and Barney travel to the big pasture in the sky via the processor in late November.

I have looked at charts and tried to make sense of it all. Maybe someone out there who is familiar with all this can give us a sort of one-size-fits-most list of what we should tell our butcher we want.

Assuming that a pig is 250 pounds, is there a standard way of cutting that will provide hams, sausage, bacon, ribs, loin, shoulder roasts, chops, etc.

Anyone? Maybe even two lists, one that is heavy on roasts and one that is heavy on something else, perhaps chops. :help:

Vanessa

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

There are standard cutting instructions - and your butcher should be friendly and helpful in this regard. When I started I was kind of nervous about the whole thing and worried that I would make mistakes, but he led me through a form he had and asked me lots of questions - like how thick I wanted the chops, did I want ham slices also, and how thick, etc. We've butchered quite a few now, and each time we kind of tweaked what we wanted just to 'see'.

As for the above list you gave - you should be able to get all of those cuts from your pig - the only thing I notice is that if you ask for loin, you won't get as many chops. I get my hams cut in half also, because I get more use out of them that way. Also, with some butchers, you have to ask for the more 'unusual' items - like the pig's tail, feet, organ meats, head, or skin.

Niki

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter