Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
We're building hog enclosures from the 4x8' sheetrock pallets that are lying around everywhere begging to be picked up and used. A little rebar for posts and a shelter made from more pallets and corrugated aluminum, et voila! Ugly as sin and practical as all get-out. There will be no spring painting project here, though. :haha:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
:) Fun pictures! Thanks! We have found that the wood used in these pallets rots quickly. Maybe that is due to some humidity. Might hold up better in the desert?

Glad to see people using these things. I see so many good ideas on this forum!

;) LQ

·
Registered
416 Posts
What a great idea! Love that fence, too. I've been using pallets for compost bins, and they do rot out. So when a bin is emptied, I turn the pallets upside down to "rest" the end that was in the wet. The pallets lastseveral years this way. An if they do rot out, they are easyily replaced.

·
Registered
126 Posts
when i lived in new mexico i knew of a house made of pallets; a two-story house at that! and u would never know it either!

a few years later i served on a planning commission in oregon. i happened to mention that house to the planning chairman who happened to be a professional architect and he said "don't laugh. a structure built out of a lot of small strong units like pallets could actually be stronger than a conventional stick-built home!"

building codes will never come around of course. but now i live in the ozarks and am allowed to build whatever i am impetuous enough to try building.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts