Cute house plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AngieM2, Feb 5, 2004.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

2. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

Those are really neat. I would think you could build them somewhat bigger without much problem as they are basically two boxes on top of each other.

3. AngieM2

I'm contemplating the application of how they are done, to the Home Depot or Constoga Shed type buildings.

I especially appreaciate the use of space.

The outsides have charm and character also.

Angie

4. Mike_and_Tina

Mike_and_Tina Member

Thanks for the link! I'm really impressed. I had never considered building
    a tiny house on the bed of a cargo trailer. I am suddenly very inspired and
    would like to try this idea. (*sounds of wheels turning*)

I especially like the aesthetics and how it looks like a real cottage...well, it is.

Mike

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I WANT that Rolling Gothic- that's SO cool.

Mike, if you try it, tell me how it goes!

Chalet (an RV company) makes a travel trailer like this, but not as cool.

Cait

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

375 square foot. That's a box 15 X 25. I wonder if 375 is the footprint or TOTAL square foot!? If it is the total, that makes the house really only 12-1/2 X 15!! Whew!

7. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

My guess is that it is (2) boxes that are 12 x 16 each and that is very small but it must be xtremely efficient!

Tim
    Knoxville

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'll bet you are right. I looked again, and assuming a bathtub is 5' long, that makes it about right -- scale-wise.

Geesh! Look at the prices! I can build a full-sized house for that much!

9. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    These are clever little houses particularly the idea of mounting them on a trailer, but they are based on the Chatauqua cottages built in the 19th century at Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard and similar campgrounds. Many of those cottages started out as two room structures with lots of gingerbread and many of them were glorified tents on frames. Heres a link about Oak Bluffs. http://www.mvinfo.com/html/towns/oakbluffs.htm

10. AngieM2

On the prices I about gagged also. For $60,000 I can purchase a house with 1/2 acre or so already built.

But I got some books from library today about small houses, and space usage.

When I get to have/build a house, I want lots of built in things. Looking into the unfinished furniture into my configurations thought based on things like this.

But the pictures sure get the mind going.... and figuring.

And He must be using some really nice lumber.

Angie

11. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Built-ins are definitely the way to go! Our house in Toledo was barely 1000 sq. ft., but we had all kinds of built-in dresser drawers, cupboards, etc. The bedrooms were small, but there was plenty of room because of the built-in drawers. I only had one regular dresser and it was antique and in the hall mostly for decoration. Our house we have now is over twice as large but acutally seems smaller. We have only two closets in the whole house and had to get lots more dressers, chests, etc. to keep clothes, sheets, towels, and other linens in. After living with minimal furniture for so long, this house seems kind of cluttered-up with furniture. In the future, we want to build a small house and we will definitely include built-in furniture--dressers, cupboards, window seats that double as chests, a built-in booth for eating, etc.

Did you follow some of the links and see the pocket neighborhood cottages built near Seattle? The cottages were adorable, but the prices! $200,000-$300,000+!!! And they still had to pay a fee because they were run like condominiums! But, the cottages were so cute and I got a lot of good ideas.

12. urbanfarmer

urbanfarmer Well-Known Member

I wonder why the smaller houses are so expensive? Does anyone know?

13. AngieM2

I think the quality of the materials this guy is using.

I just checked the tinyhouses page this weekend, and now you can buy plans.

But as smart as many people here are, seems that you could look at the layout and extrapolate it to how you'd want to do/place things in your small space.

Angie

14. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

If you go to this website www.countryplans.com/plans.html they have different plans for small houses. You can actually buy the blueprints but I plan on figuring it out myself. Lot of inspiration there. Sorta plain on the outside but I figure you can get the inspirations from the tumbleweed house site to dress it up later as you get more money. Just a thought! :)
    If we are able to buy a larger piece of land I'll be building the 16 X 24 w/ loft then building the main house a couple years after. If we buy a smaller piece of property I'll build the 20X32 with loft.
    The first scenario we'll be staying for many years, the second scenario we'll by selling in a few years to afford a larger piece of property.

15. AngieM2

I have the plans for the 20 x 30 two storied house from countryplans.com at home just waiting for money and land..... a step at a time. Then hopefully, I can show the builder (or who's helping me) the pictures of the tumbleweed houses for outer style. But I love the consise use of space in those places. Sorta like a small RV.

That's another thing, look at RV's and duplicate their layouts for economy of space.

Angie