Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a steel shipping container, and want to install some louvered vents to get some circulation in there. It's made of pretty heavy steel. How do I cut openings in it? Someone told me a sawzall would do it, but I've never used one. Would I start a hole with a drill? What kind of bit do I need?

I notice a lot of threads and sites about the cool buildings people make out of these things, but so far I haven't found a single how-to!

·
Registered
188 Posts
a sawsall will do it with a metal blade in it but it may take several blades. If you have a skill saw I would buy an abrasive blade for it and cut it with that

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I have a skill saw, thanks. Do I use a drill to cut the starter hole? What kind of bit, and how do I start the hole (i.e. do I need to hammer a nail in to make a dent to get the bit to stay put?)?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Layout the hole to be cut with a very visible marker. I consider a Skill saw a rotary saw, are we on the same page? Put on a pair of safety goggles. There is no need to drill. Position the abrasive blade above the visible line, resting the front of the saw on the base plate and slowly lower the back of the saw onto the steel while holding the saw firmly with both hands. Be prepared for lots of hot sparks. Once you penetrate the steel move the saw forward very slowly cutting the desired length. Never position yourself directly behind the saw. Ear plugs would not be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Am. I think I understand, but is this right: I start with the blade on the line and the "nose" of my saw down on the steel in front of the blade, and then press the back end down, so the blade penetrates until the entire base plate of the saw is flush with the steel?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
If you aren't used to cutting metal, make sure your clothes are all fastened up tightly, pant legs OVER your boots (nothing will teach you to dance like hot sparks down your boots)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then eye protection and a bandana sound like a good idea, too...

So an abrasive blade is something I can get at Home Depot?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Any hard wear should have them, also be aware the sparks will heat up the blade shield, to the point you can get burnt.

If there is flammable material in the area, such as dried grass, ect. Pre burn it in a controlled manor.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
If this is your first try at cutting holes in metal with a skill saw it might be a better idea to drill a starter hole. It will be cheaper than several blades and possible accidents.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Sawzall will do it, but will take a long time.

A welder could cut an opening with a torch.

RF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts