Homesteading Forum banner

Cut Or Clamp

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mousecat33 
#1 ·
I prefer to cut my bull calves. I am sure the job is done and it is easier on the calf. I see quite a few steer calves at the sales end up in the vets pen just to make sure!! If they are banded and look a little bully around the head they don't sell well at all.If weather and insects are not a problem what do the buyers in your area prefer?
Mr. Wanda
Mike

#2 ·
They prefer that they are cut. I have the vet cut ours at weaning. We also do all the vaccinations and all that for those health programs, though I never sign up for a specific one (green tag, surehealth, etc). We just make sure they tell people that they've had all their shots, etc.

Jena

#3 ·
We clamp older calves here , sometimes band young bull calves if they are obvious culls right way , I rarely market through the sale barn , so that isnt a factor. The only ones that get cut , are the ones destined for club calves....
( Yes , highlands are used for club calves too ...)

paula

#4 ·
We have banded and cut both at different times. I prefer cutting only because I am certain we have the "job" done, versus banding with the concern of leaving a testicle. How much does your vet charge for cutting Jena? We have been doing it ourselves, but we have quite a large group of calves coming up to be done, and think it might be to our advantage to have our vet do it this time.

Razorback21

#5 ·
Locally it has gotten to the point the price difference between weaned bull and steer calves doesn't justify castration by the producer. If the buyer's aren't going to pay a premium for steers, they won't get them. I had one order buyer tell me his buyers prefer bulls as they know they will do the job right themselves. It's just part of the receiving process..

Ken Scharabok

#6 ·
Ken
In my area it runs a dime or more a pound for steers which is the profit so to speak on a big steer calf!! If they stay a bull long enough to get a bull look to there head you will really take a hit even when cut and fed out. I cant imagine an operator that would want the extra stress on calves going in the lot.A steer that has been cut leaves no doubt to a buyer and if they are healed up will never be a problem for them.If they feed many cattle I would think vet charge,extra care and increased death rate would make up the diferance in price.I wouldn't want cattle to have the extra stress if I could avoid it.
your friend
Mike

#8 ·
I clamp with Burdizzos. Once where the scrotum "buds" from the abdomen, give a slight twist and a gentle tug, then slide down and clamp again as close to the testicles as I can. This double clamp only takes a few seconds more and since I only do a few calves at at time it adds very few minutes to the job. This has always worked, never missed one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.