Cut on teat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

This morning my son discovered a cut on his does teat. It apparently got there by her litte buckling bitting her. He is very rough. We have decided even though he isn't quite 3 months old, he is getting totally separated. We have had them partially separated for about a month to gradually wean. He is just too rough with her. When he wants to nurse he will walk up to her and hits her so hard, she nearly falls over.

I told him to just milk very gently and keep a close eye on it. Is there anything else he needs to do?

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

You could put some bag balm or udder balm on it to soften it up and soothe it. Putting some iodine on it, letting it dry, and then applying the balm would be a good idea to prevent infection. It also wouldn't hurt to give her a 5-14 day course of Procaine Penicillan G. Dosage is 1cc per 15 pounds. This will reduce any chance of infection and or mastitis.

Yes, I would wean your little guy. He is plenty old enough to wean. Just don't stop milking the doe until that teat is healed and if you can, do a CMT test on her, now and bfore you decide to dry her off. The worst thing you can do is dry her up with mastitis. I am having this problem now.

Good Luck!

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

First, 8 weeks is plenty old enough to wean a goat, especially one that is dam raised because they grow and develop faster.

Second, Bag Balm is antiseptic. I had your same problem. Washed carefully, milked gently with Bag Balm on my hands to work it in well, dipped teat, applied more Bag Balm. I got blood on my hands for a few days, but overall she healed up remarkably quickly.

Hopefully, the cut isn't deep enough that you're getting milk through it. If that's the case, you have a bigger problem and should take the goat to a vet. Good luck!

4. Starsmom

The cut had scabbed over by this morning. It doesn't appear too bad and hopefully it won't get infected. She didn't seem bothered by it during milking this morning. She isn't letting him nurse too much. She does, but not for long periods. After a few seconds, she moves away. We are in the process of building new pens, got the panels yesterday, almost done...maybe tomorrow. Then he will be separated from her and won't be able to escape (yeah right).

5. Starsmom

That is how this little guy is..a mommas boy. We have always bottle fed, but when our doe had her first, we decided to see how things went when dam raised. He is just as sweet and friendly as the bottle fed. The difference is he is much bigger than a bottle fed baby. He is bigger than our other buck that is 2 months older than him. We have started giving the other buck some of her milk to see if it helps him get bigger. Boy he does love it.

Also, we shaved the doe for the fair. Had to shave her udders, now she is getting prickly marks all over them. I'm sure its the hair growing back in. Should I keep her shaved, or let it grow out. I know shaved is cleaner and more sanitary. Will the irritation go away if I keep shaving her?

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Ha, sure is funny how the boys are like that. All three of the boys born here, so far, have been mama's boys, and one of our little girls was the opposite, she was a Daddy's little girl. Problem is her dad isn't friendly so she got his bad traits now, she's being sold soon. Well good luck with your goats.