Customizing a tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I need some info on making a cab for my DB880. Any tips from those that have done it? What did you use for glass?

Also now that my welders up and running. I am looking to get to work on some accessories for the 3pth etc.
    Please list accessories you have made or cusomizing you have done for your tractor or home made implements?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

start with a roll bar(better yet cage, fork lifts have some awsome heavy cages) with heavy plates for the top of the axel and trany. also a seat belt for your tractor. then go too a scrap yard and look for glass from a common easily available car or truck glass. best attachment we have made in awhile was the quick attach bucket system for the loader and skidsteer, next we are equiping it with pto too run the cement mixer or what ever.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm no expert but I'd think you want to construct it so that constant vibration will not shake it to pieces.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A good plastic/acrylic is a lot easier for 'us' to work with than glass. Just a thought.

A roll bar as part of the cab would be a real, real good idea. Hard to get ACME certified on building youe own roll bar, but.....

The folks at www.tractorbynet.com are much more 'yuppie' than anyone I've ever seen on this forum so they won't understand a single homestead concept; but they have pages & pages of cool ideas for tractor accessories like 3pt items, complete with pictures. You'll get your fill of cool ideas & pics if you visit several of their forums.

--->Paul

5. Rob30

The quick attach bucket is a good idea. Can you give pics or a good description of how you made it?

6. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

darn....I thought this was going to be about putting flames on the hood or something.

7. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Can you do arc welding on a tractor without screwing up the electrical system or do you have to use a torch? I ask because a car was screwed up at a dealer doing arc welding. They admitted it, fired the guy that did it, and fixed most of the electrical problems. It may be they just grounded it wrong.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd disconnect the battery before welding but that's all that would slow me down. An 880 has no computer, but has a charging system. Rob I'll have to check but we had a neat little fibre glass roof that was for a frame to fender "cab". If we still have it its yours for the asking. Maybe Ford major can remember?

9. Rob30

I plan on heading over towards Ottawa after Christmas. Looking for some pigs at the auction. Would love to stop by and talk. You are a great source for ideas.

10. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

ok not to be a wet blanket, but, as others have pointed out watch the vibration and welds. local guy built a canopy top, the structure finally cracked and fell on him. his words, " i knew i was in trouble" it broke his neck. no movement below his neck.

look on the back lots of tractor dealerships, sometimes you will find cabs from older equipment/tractors.

11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a used cab and placed I on my tractor, GO to a tractor wrecking yard, and you would be able to find a cab with glass, and fit to your tractor,

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

yep it's still out back,sitting on the db rearend. rob if ya do head down bring the digital and lots of batteries! neighbour has a db 3800 with a factory cab that you can probably look at and get some ideas from.

13. Rob30

I'll make sure I bring it.
    Hopefully I will be over after in early January. I'll get directions again before I go.

14. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If you have welder and some time a rock box is handy on a tractor. For tractors without a fel, you can build a square box of plate steel the width of your tractor front and about 16" deep. The box is held to the tractor with a plate bolted on each side of the tractor frame rails below and parallel to engine.
    For the floor of the rockbox, you have it hinged on one side and a release lever on the other side, so you can drive over to edge of field and dump the rocks (a trapdoor) without lifting them a second time.
    A different style of rockbox is one that is underbelly - hung from the frame rails.
    Other nice touches on a tractor that you can build at home are entry assist handles made by taking a large U-Bolt( like the ones off of large trucks or semi-tractor leaf spring assemblies) , cutting it in a chop saw so the U is about 3" deep( leave room for winter gloves) then welding it to the side of a fel tower or weld bracket to it and bolt it on tractor at advantageous spot.
    A fueling step is handy and readily built as well.