Custom Trailer Cost

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have found a freezer trailer that is already put together for $8250 (yeah, takes my breath away too). It's basically a 5x9 walk-in on wheels.

I can buy the freezer for $6000, but then I have to pay freight on that, get it to a trailer place and have them build a trailer under it.

Would I save a bunch of money by doing it that way, or should I just go ahead and get the unit that's ready to go?

The place that has the trailer already made uses many of them in their business. They are familiar with what works and what has failed in the past. That is a bonus too as a new trailer building guy would have to figure it out on his own (though it's not rocket science).

It's alot of money, but I keep coming back to the fact that my mobility is what makes me money. I have to stay portable!

Any ideas? I have got to decide by 3pm.

Thanks
    Jena

2. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, without knowing your whole situation...budget...time constaints..etc. You obviously can't loose by buying new warranted equipment. One alternative that could save some big bucks is to go to your local Uhaul distributor and make them an offer. Around here, these guys are mostly Republicans and can sell their trailers for reasonable amounts, if given a cash offer. They are very well made and road-worthy. Then pick up a small generator...slide in a few of your existing freezers...and you have a solid temp fix.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Call Bob's truck Body in Millington MI they have used units and custom build. I've delt withem several times. They have gas,Diesel, 120 volt and 220 volt ypu never know what they have laying around.

Bobs Truck Body

989 871 3844

About 80 miles North of Detroit

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What did you decide?

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I spent the $8250.

I talked to the guy again about a few concerns I had. They have been using these for several years and have 30-40 units on the road. They have made modifications to the refrigeration units to counteract problems they have encountered with them, got the trailer thing down to a science, etc.

It just seems like a much better way than trying to deal with it all...time is money and I ain't got much of either!

Jena

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Did they provide a warranty? That would have been the deciding factor to me. Can you have something like that insured so if it breaks down you can have it repaired/replaced? Sounds like a great investment.