Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank everybody for their informative input on this forum. It is an invaluable resource for those of us who are trying to educate ourselves about raising pigs.

My wife and I, along with another couple, are going to make our first venture into a couple of feeder pigs that we plan to pasture/feed on our property south of Jackson, TN. We plan to purchase them next Spring and raise them through Summer. Is anyone here familiar with the local custom meat processors? Do you have any recommendations or warnings? Is it advisable to use a USDA certified processor even if the meat will only be for personal consumption, or is a Tennessee Department of Ag approved processor good enough?

I am actually having a little bit of a difficult time identifying custom processors through an internet search, so any input in that regard would be most appreciated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I want to thank everybody for their informative input on this forum. It is an invaluable resource for those of us who are trying to educate ourselves about raising pigs.

My wife and I, along with another couple, are going to make our first venture into a couple of feeder pigs that we plan to pasture/feed on our property south of Jackson, TN. We plan to purchase them next Spring and raise them through Summer. Is anyone here familiar with the local custom meat processors? Do you have any recommendations or warnings? Is it advisable to use a USDA certified processor even if the meat will only be for personal consumption, or is a Tennessee Department of Ag approved processor good enough?

I am actually having a little bit of a difficult time identifying custom processors through an internet search, so any input in that regard would be most appreciated.

Mike
You could call or go by and visit a USDA office if one is close to you. Ask for a list of processors that are certified or contact the Tennessee Department of Ag. for a list of processors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts