custom lawn tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by retire2$, Jul 8, 2006.

1. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

I have an old Craftsman lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive and a blown engine. I have an old Nissan pick-up with a good engine. Any ideas on how I could combine the two to get a powerful lawn tractor? I've seen in Farm Show Magazine lots of finished projects but they don't have the details. Anyone wanting to share ideas or comments is greatly appreciated.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Is there room for the engine without resizing the engine compartment? Do you have the tools and experience to enlarge it if necessary? How much fluid does the present drive system require? How is the present connection between the engine and pump created? Does the engine rotate in the correct direction? Space for the radiator?

Something like this is going to require a lot of front side planning; it can get complicated in a hurry. I have done a few odd combinations, put a Subaru flat 4 into a skid steer, ect. It may be possible to use the engine mounting system from the truck - added to the tractor.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The Nissan has a horizontal crank, and the Sears has a vertical crank. That alone would require more to overcome than the new mower would be worth.

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Just rebuild the briggs, that will be much less work than trying to cobble a 4cyl pickup engine to a lawnmower.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If you want such just to have as a novelty, cut down the pick up frame and mount the tractors sheet metal over it. Wheel bolt patterns can be re drilled, drive shaft can not be used - just run the trans directly into the rear end, ect.

6. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies.

A young local mechanic said it would be easy enough to do. He already drew out some plans for pulley's and belt. Said he likes doing these kind of things and offered to give me hand.

Just bought a new Troy Bilt for the rest of the summer. Guess this will be a winter project.

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

my what a tireburne thaat one is gonna be!!!!! will win all the lawnmoer races and then some.

Now if i was gonna did this one with ya, i would stretch the front end out and put a motorcycle front end on it, and get some differnt rear tires, [ ok i seen what one fella did in the farm magazine and thought wow what a show piece] would do for mowing lawns but in a parade it would be awesome..... not as awesome as mowing the lawn in hyperdrive, bt still pretty much on the neat side.

a friend of mine dropped a 350 chevy into an s-10 pickup and had some much power it scared him, and this is a fella that 140 on a motorbike is nothing special, so what you are attempting to do is something along a similar line, lots of power in to a moderate powered normal machine.... pucker factor may scale in the teens. keep us updated, get digital photos to share and keep a diary and a log of parts, pieces and retro fits!!!

William