Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new month already! I have been a bit sluggish on the knitting front lately, but I finally finished a project. This is an Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief that I knit out of some of my stash yarn. I knit it to commemorate finishing the Clockwork Century steampunk series, which was a very fun read. I am now diligently plugging away at knitting a pair of Smaug socks for my daughter, who wanted some dragon socks. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
What a pretty shawl. Those colors are wonderful. Was it a dyed lot or did you mix and match from your stach to get the colors? Lexi, that's really nice yarn! What's the fiber and color?

I was accepted to a jurried show in November so now I have to make things to take. This is what's on the Glimakra rh loom right now. The white is natural alpaca, the maroon and green are elsebeth lavold Silky Flamme in 50% Peruvian Wool, 30% FS Alpaca and 20% silk. I've had that yarn about a year and just never could decide what to do with it. I'm going to use some of all the yarn for the weft, but it will mostly be the green. It's going to be a wrap so I hope it doesn't shrink much less than the 18" it is on the loom. After fixing some warping mistakes I think it's just about 100" long on the loom, maybe a bit less.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome spinning Lexie!

I used yarn from two skeins in the shawl, both are the same colorway but they were really different. The second color used on the edge was a more muted shade. I had *almost* enough of the first to finish it, but figured I'd change colors at a natural transition point than in the middle of a pattern repeat.

Those are pretty colors Featherbottoms, whenever I see the looms I am tempted to give weaving a shot, but I probably ought to work on some of the things I have already going. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks you guys! Last night's post was brought to you by three glasses of red wine... I meant to add a bunch more detail.

The fiber is from my EF x BFL ewe Ella (front/right), just washed and carded, natural colors:
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409880890.013541.jpg
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409880762.726795.jpg

This is my first time spinning at all, using the very first fleece I ever sheared. I'm so thrilled with how it's turning out! I did play with a drop spindle for a few hours, but was not only frustrated but my hands were sore too...

Love love LOVE my Ladybug!

Y'all's projects are SO nice. Someday I'll make pretty things like that too.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Gorgeous shawls! I have one on the needles, but it's in time out while I decide if I can live with my mistakes. I did 18 rows of the pattern when I was supposed to stop at 12 for the first repeat. It should work either way, but I just want some time to reconsider.

I'm not usually one to have more than two projects going at a time, but right now I have four (including the shawl). My elephant socks are halfway done, with one sock finished. I'm setting those aside to work on fair projects, both knitting and sewing. They are due in less than a month--yikes!

Elephant socks (well, sock, singular)-- ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409918468.956665.jpg http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/water-for-the-elephants

Raglan sweater-- ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409918547.321835.jpg http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/top-down-raglan-cardigan

Mittens, for the state fair-- ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409918591.489106.jpg http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/icy-water

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
LOVE the elephant sock(s)! I'm a bit of an elephant fiend, have always loved them a little too much!

Those mitts are fun!

Tell me more about Raglin sweaters? Why are they so called, what defines them? How difficult are they?
I've done a couple of sweaters, including a raglan shrug. Both that and this one are top down.

Here's how "raglan" is defined by Wikipedia:
A raglan sleeve is a type of sleeve whose distinguishing characteristic is to extend in one piece fully to the collar, leaving a diagonal seam from underarm to collarbone giving the garment a relatively undefined look. [1]
Commonly seen in non-formal fashion, it is popular in sports and exercise wear.

If you can knit, purl, increase and decrease, you can make one of these. There's no seaming, just knit to the sleeves and leave an opening for them. When the body of the sweater is done, you pick up the stitches for the sleeves and knit those to the length you want. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Beautiful projects, everyone! Lythrum, that shawl is so pretty! Love the colors.

Lexie, your yarn is looking awesome!

Cyndi, love that Mojo shawl! Neat name, too.

featherbottoms, good luck with your show! Very exciting!

BBC, love the ellie-phant socks! And those mitts are going to be lovely.

I posted it in the FAC thread, but I finished my first raglan sweater. It was very easy! Mine was knit bottom up, and after talking with my sister she says most are top down. I had a pretty easy time with mine. It's cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
IT'S BAAAAACK!
Apparently this loom didn't sell the first 2 times, or if it did, no one picked it up. It's a pickup only in Arizona. Anyone know anyone looking for an 8 shaft table loom in this area, this would really be a nice little tool.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Large-Vintage-Wooden-Weaving-Loom-17854826.html

Click on the additional photos in the "description" below and you can see the condition. This looks like a really capable little loom. Probably about a 25inch weaving width. It ends tomorrow and it's at $5.00 right now.
Boy if I were closer to AZ!!

BTW: BEAUTIFUL STUFF HERE! Keep up the good work!

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Great stuff everyone!

My son and DIL live in Tucson but I donut I would ask them to get this for me. I want a floor loom, this looks like a table top loom on a stand. Nothing wrong with that bu I want a floor loom.

My workshop weekend was AMAZING!!!!!!!! Inge is such a sweetheart and has the patience of a saint. I posted on FB that SvenskaFlicka has got to meet this woman. Inge is a master weaver from Canada. She did the focus on her studies in the tablet weaving a of the Iron Age. Her work is unbelieveably stunning. She spoke at our guild last night and we had a fashion show of her things. I got to wear several of them. Here is a link to her website http://www.ingedam.net. She does her own dyeing, sewing, weaving, and handwork. I don't think she is a spinner. She has some of the items on her website.

I'll post pictures later today and finish telling about it.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
1 - 20 of 112 Posts