curiouse about financial help starting my farm?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myrandaandkids, May 9, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

i keep hearing about all these grants to rural families and money available to get your farm going or money for home improovments from the government that never gets payed back, is there any truth to this?

2. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

There is a federal government website that lists all possible grants offered; sorry I don't remember the link but you can Google it, try searching for "federal grants"; I remember they had some interesting things there like for fish farming and farm machinery etc.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

There are more low interest loans available than grants. Low interest loans are available through the Department of Housing and Urban Development as well as possibly through the Department of Agriculture. There are also other grants and loans available, depending on your state, for energy incentives, etc. Check also the Department of Natural Resources, Dept of the Interior and the Forest Service websites for possible funding options.

Most government grants that I have investigated require matching funds. This may not be true in every case.

Be sure to share the information you obtain with us!

donsgal

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

OH OH doublepost

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If the money doesn't get paid back, Uncle Sam has a means or 'acquiring' the property...

I know some locals that have jumped thru hoops trying to get some specialized grants, and spent way more time trying to get the money, only to be greatly disappointed. Most of the grants just help pay a percentage, not totally free...