Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that grew up with t.v. and now you have children but no t.v., do you notice any difference in the amount of 'nighttime monsters in the room' that you had compared to what your little ones experience???

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi texasartist;
Well when my son was little we had tv but no cable and he watched very little tv and had very little trouble with "monsters in the bedroom". My g-children watch way more t.v. than I think they should and they have had an a couple of episodes of worrying about monsters in the room. So I'm not sure. I guess a lot depends on what they watch.

tamilee

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
That's an interesting question.

I raised my kids without TV. I don't remember nightmares at all.

My daughter has a little 2-year-old. His TV is very limited (Thomas the Train, Dora the Explorer, and Barney--he loves these shows.)

She said that lately he's been waking up with nightmares.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I got to wondering about this when I was looking at my parents t.v. and a commercial came on about a little light to put around the "scarey areas" (under the bed, the closet, and such) of your childs bedroom to help with nightmares.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
We've got cable TV, and my kids watch programs we pre-approve. We've never had monsters in the bedroom that I can remember. I do remember a recurring spider nightmare my youngest had, but that was after a real-life spider "attack" outside.

I think parents who limit TV and filter the content their kids watch have the right idea. The ones who give the kid the remote and let the TV babysit might have nightmare problems if they're watching the Sci-Fi channel.

Or it could just be that some kids have a more vivid imagination than others.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
night terrors are normal for young children. nothing like being awakened to a screaming toddler!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3 year old had issues with Coyotes in his room at night, that came from running traps and hearing us talk about them around the table, I don't think TV is soully to blame for night time monsters.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Well, we didn't have a TV till I was 14 but I remember when I was kindergarten to 2nd grade age that I was terrified of monsters in the closet. If anyone remembers the department store mannequins of that era that were headless, limbless torsos, that was what I was convinced was in the back of our closet - and their headless necks would suck all the blood out of me.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
No monsters here. It's usually mosquitoes or other flying insects. My son watches a little tv. The older he gets, the more it entertains him.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I grew up with tv, but late '50s-early 60s stuff was pretty tame. No nightmares. My kids grew up without tv & they didn't have nightmares, either. But my dd did have night terrors a few times & my ds walked in his sleep.

My sisters kids grew up with tv & none of them have had nightmares. They're a nice bunch of kids, too.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
No children here, but I remember being afraid to go to bed after watching one of those "B rated" horror movies from the '50s that I had seen on TV that afternoon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My children did watch tv but we did monitor what they watched. My oldest son was afraid of wolves at night, when he was little. We did not live where there were wolves but he was still afraid. All of my children walked and talked in their sleep and my youngest had night terrors. I don't think television was the cause.

Countryheart

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My 4 children have grown up with no t.v. And while I don't remember too many of any nighmare issues, the 'sweet' little heathens can come up with other things. Such as oldest DEAR son telling his little brother at night, their bedroom is at the back of the house which faced the woods, so when oldest DEAR son got tired of his younger brother talking, he would tell him, "You better shut up or the wolves out in the woods are going to get you" So we did have youngest dear son making us close his shades at night so he couldn't see the 'red eyes of the wolfesesss' as he pronounced it, 'that were waiting to eat him.'
I believe I spanked him over that one but it was too late. Youngest son was convinced they were waiting to get him and he was afraid of the dark for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts