Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saving my large dish soap, laundry detergent bottles for pure fact of non potable water. Can you mix a bit of soap with water in these containers & what is shelf life expectancy? Any one have verifiable answers? I know soap is detrimental (corrosive) over time so hope that I can be pointed in right direction.

·
Piney Girl
984 Posts
I googled this but couldn't find anything other than the oils or perfumes could evaporate and become less effective but since the FDA doesn't regulate these items they don't have hard expiration dates. I would think you were safe filling empty soap/detergent bottles for non potable water.

Anyone else find anything?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I started filling my empty laundry soap bottles a couple of years ago. Theres always a bit of soap in the bottom and although it is very watered down, my thinking was a little soapy water is better then none. They are still fine. No leaks.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I don't have any hard facts or documentation either, but I would be worried about doing that. They say not to store drinking water without adding bleach to it because things start to grow after a while, mainly bacteria.

I don't know if that growth would be dangerous to your health if you weren't drinking it or not, but I do know some bacteria can cause some really nasty skin infections. Since there isn't any documentation that it IS safe, I would personally err on the side of caution.

I wonder if distilled water would be any better, but then again how many people have access to distilled water? I think it's pretty expensive to buy, so that probably wouldn't be a good alternative either. If you had a distiller to use, I might check into that more, but otherwise I would not add plain tap water and expect to keep it long term. Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I don't have any hard facts or documentation either, but I would be worried about doing that. They say not to store drinking water without adding bleach to it because things start to grow after a while, mainly bacteria.

I don't know if that growth would be dangerous to your health if you weren't drinking it or not, but I do know some bacteria can cause some really nasty skin infections. Since there isn't any documentation that it IS safe, I would personally err on the side of caution.

I wonder if distilled water would be any better, but then again how many people have access to distilled water? I think it's pretty expensive to buy, so that probably wouldn't be a good alternative either. If you had a distiller to use, I might check into that more, but otherwise I would not add plain tap water and expect to keep it long term. Just my two cents. :)
That makes sense. Maybe adding a bit of bleach to it would be a good idea. I guess one would need to rotate it out just like stored drinking water. Definitely something to think about.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Soap alone isn't antiseptic or disinfectant. It's good because it helps wash off bacteria and fungal spores, but plain soap and water can be infected and can get mouldy. I'm speaking from experience, but I can't give you a timeframe. I just know that I've come back to a bottle of soap in water - home-grown liquid soap - and found it had grown hairy lumps.

More concentrated is better, and dry soap keeps best. If you want to store soap, break it up, maybe powder it, and store it dry. A little powdered soap on wet hands works very well, or mix up a little liquid soap to use for a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I'd recommend long term storage of water with a small amount of bleach in it in these containers, but only mixing up enough liquid soap for short term use. Soap stores best dry. In fact, I take all my soap out of the wrappers and let it air dry and harden. It makes the soap last longer in use if it's drier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts