curious: roaming puppies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by januaries, Nov 2, 2004.

1. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Saturday I found two chow puppies under the little house I'm building on a hill 'way back in the woods. Called around and found out they were part of a litter belonging to a neighbor just less than a mile away. The puppies were 5 or 6 weeks old, and the rest of the litter was home with mamma. To the owner's knowledge, no one had taken the puppies. Would puppies this age actually travel that far from home on their own? Why? They would have passed plenty of "better" places to stop on the way--other homes and sheltered spots--my place is on top of a steep hill. Would mamma bring them to my cabin? Why? Would daddy dog bring them? (again, why?) The daddy chow has been hanging around for several days, but I thought only the mammas had anything to do with the puppies once they were born. It may forever remain a mystery, but I'm very curious!

2. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would consider it exceptionally odd that puppies of that age would travel that far on their own. Can you pin down a travel amount of time since they came up missing?

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

When my black lab's puppies were about that age that they could wander, Momma took them out hunting. Invariably, a few of them would wander off and get separated and lost. I'd hear them whining and have to go search the fields for them.

Could Momma-dog have taken them hunting and lost two of them.... who found a convenient hidey-hole until she came back looking for them?

5. januaries

Not precisely. The owners had simply let a stray have her puppies under their house, so no one's been keeping close tabs on them. When I talked to the lady around noon, she said that she noticed a couple were missing that morning--but the puppies generally stay under the house and she doesn't pay much attention to them so she can't say for sure.

They were scared and unfriendly (naturally, since they've had no socialization), and I was having a hard time retrieving them. I offered one some milk to try and gain its trust--it took a few laps and then retreated again. I was surprised that it didn't seem hungrier if it had been gone from home long enough to wander all the way to the top of that hill. But maybe they were just tired and scared...?

Would the mother remove them from the nest if she didn't want them? Would the father do that? (Both were males...) Both puppies seemed quite happy to see mamma again.

6. januaries

Hmmm... it's possible! Obviously the puppies found what looked most like home: the bare earth under a small house with the mingled smells of human and canine. Would mamma be taking all 5 or 6 puppies with her to go hunting? I didn't realize they did that with puppies that age.

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

When I was about 10 years old, I got a dog that was part collie. She had a litter of 9 puppies one summer & when they were around 6 weeks old, she took them one at a time, & gave all the neighbors one. Needless to say, the neighbors weren't too pleased & they thought I had done it. Luckily for me, there was an old lady living next door to us & she sat out on her porch all the time. She said that she had watched the dog take the pups to several houses & growl at them when they tried to follow her back home.

8. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet mom is moving them, one at a time...Joan

9. januaries

Oh dear! Now I feel like an ungrateful recipient--lol!

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Humm. When i was around 12 i found a puppy about 7weeks or so old on the side of the road,down from my house.A few months later the visiting neighbors recognized him as a missing pup from there litter.It was around 3/4 of a mile from there house where i found him.Always wondered how he got that far away.I highly dought he walked all that way.So i guess ill vote for momma carrying him off. :confused:

By the way they let me keep him.Which i was glad of at the time.Later i wished they would have taken him back.Dumbest dog i ever owned.I think i see why his momma dropped him now. :haha: When i say dumb dog i truly mean dumb.He once ran head on into a light pole at a dead run while chasing some flushed quail,and looking straight up at them.Wish i had a video of it. :D

11. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

The visual is making me laugh so hard my stomach hurts. :haha: :haha: :haha: