Cumberland Store

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by yankeeterrier, Nov 16, 2005.

1. yankeeterrier

yankeeterrier Well-Known Member

I used to get a big, thick catalog from Cumberland General store that had all kinds of homesteading goodies in it. A recent internet search yeilded nothing. Do they still exist? Do I have the name wrong? Thanks!

Dianne
    yankeeterrier@tds.net

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

It looks like they still exist, but maybe the one that you got your catalogue from dried up. Did you try the yellow pages?

3. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

try www.cumberlandgeneral.com

sorry folks, i typed the link wrong before. this link does work now. but the store is moving to Georgia and their internet service is down.

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

This is what you're looking for I believe...

Cumberland General Store, Inc.
    Crossville,TN
    Phone: 931-484-8481
    Toll Free: 800-334-4640

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I stopped by there back in the summer....place was closed and a real estate sign in the window.

6. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I had heard that they were moving to Alpharetta Ga.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

8. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I live about 4 miles from the old store. They have closed that store and its a returaunt now. Their prices were just to high anymore. I don't mind paying a little more but they seemed to be beyond reasonable . DOn't know if it was necessary or greed. The website has the Ga address on it but nothing has happened there yet. Haven't been able to find our anything about what has happened or happening. Used to buy from them. Hope somebody picks it up. But i wonder if its not a victim of the cheap ,cheap mind set on this country. I think a lot of stuff was coming out of China too.
    Dave

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Why not get the Lehmans Catalog???

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I bought my spinning wheel at Cumberland's in tennessee three years ago next month....husband bought it for me for Christmas and we went to pick it up instead of getting it shipped because it was something I had dreamed about for so long....I don't think there was a restaurant there even then....just the store and a big mail-order facility....it was within a long one-day's drive from here (we were going to spend the night away from home but couldn't bring ourselves to do it so drove back that afternoon!---nwo couldn't even consider it because of all the animals!)

Anyway, I have heard they are moving to Georgia but don't know any details at all.

I do get the Lehman's catalog and love it! they have way more stuff in actuallity than Cumberlan'ds did but I will never get to visit it "in person"

11. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I found the listing last night on some website,I can't find the link now but it said the company still had a catalog. The yellow pages give this address/number...I would just call the number and see if they're still sending out catalogs....

Cumberland General Store
    1360 Union Hill Rd
    Alpharetta, GA 30004
    (678) 240-0407

12. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've been to the store years back, it was too cutesy and expensive. Figure out what you want and usually a good hardware store in your area can order it for you.

Do take the ride to Crossville and visit the real area of homesteaders in this country. The community was built as a self sufficient homestead community during the depression.