Cumberland General Store

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texican, Aug 29, 2006.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I was straightening out the little homesteading section of the upstairs library and ran across an older copy of the Cumberland General Store catalog. Had forgot about the catalog, and all the goodies inside, so I checked out the CGS on the web, and they do have a site, but it only has a handful of items listed. They do have a catalog available... and it looks exactly like the catalog I've already got...

My question is, does anyone have the 'new' catalog, and do they have quite a few listings? I'm hoping the catalog is still chocked full of goodies, and they just have a minimal web store...

thanks
    Phil

2. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

I am still using my 2000 catalog. I give them the item number and they always have what I want. Sometimes the price has changed, sometimes not. I have ask for a new catalog a couple of times, but have never received one. If I can't find what I need locally I usual order from Lehman's (they keep sending me current catalogs), but on occasion they don't and I call Cumberland's.

Whitewolf

3. arcticpixie

arcticpixie Member

I ordered one a year or so back. It was full of stuff, but I was sorely dissapointed in it. Most of the stuff was available locally or through Lehmans at much lower prices. The descriptions were lacking in detail and the images were crude. I can't remember how much I paid, $3 or $5 I think, and waited over 2 months for it. I almost cried when the catalog I waited for so long showed up and had nothing of value in it.

Then I got mad and stuffed it one page at a time in the woodstove. :flame:

4. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

I was searching for something else and ran across a post from 11/05 saying that they were told the store was closing down. go figure??? Just thought I would let ya know what I found.

Whitewolf

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

From what I understand the store is gone. I went there years back and was very disappointed in the store. Now the town they were in is great and is worth doing homestead research on as they were an intentional homestead community organized by the gov't. The things they carry and a lot of stuff Lehmans carries are all available to just about every hardware store. If you have a decent hardware store, it can be an ACE or other group, see if they'll let you look through their master ordering catalog.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The Cumberland General Store catalog did offer some amusement. Their prices on blacksmithing tools in particular were "say what!!!". An example, 97 catalog had 4 1/2" leg vise for $1,177.40. You can buy a better quality used one for less than $100. 140-LB anvil for over $8.00 lb. The finest available steel anvils run $3-4 pound.

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Yeah their prices were sky high

8. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

I was in crossville this past weekend the store is gone a sign said they had move to GA

9. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

I've gotten catalogs from them in the past, and stopped by their store a couple years ago on our honeymoon. They're so expensive, I usually price check their stuff and buy it at an antique mall ($20 for a single-bit broad axe, $10 for a grain mill), on Ebay, at Lehman's, or swap with other folks. Yard sales & auctions sometimes have the stuff, too - got a cross-cut saw for $5 at one a year ago.