Culling and buying some sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Its a task I dislike but culling makes any flock better. I had planned to pull out the few unproductive ewes that should go, and a few off breeds, now I'm going to cull much more. Prices for sheep and lambs in Canada are not good, the US importation ban for mad cow extends to sheep and goats so we're getting swamped with western lamb (and I thought the drought had almost wiped them out!) You can't sell good breedign stock here, rumours keep that price nearly ridiculas, I'll be lucky to get $20 for them as culls. That said its all anyone can get and I've found some ewes that would be superior to many of mine and I'm going to buy 50 to 100 of them to replace the off breeds I still have. I'm thinking only 4 suffolks and north county cheviots combined will be here if any. What I saw last night was a flock of Rideau Arcott and Dorset X Rideaus that match my core flock perfectly, and the can be had for $25 each. Very sad and I'm genuinely sorry they aren't worth much but better these good sheep come here as breeding stock and not end up as mutton or dog food. Wish I had more hay and I'd buy them all!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

It's a shame. the new US regulations on scrapie are likely going to even end livestock shows, despite the average consumer is far more likely to get CJD from beef than mutton, and they dont have the same regs for cattle, due to the $$$$$$$$ from the cattle lobby. If however you cant afford to keep them, and they are destined for slaughter at that low of a price, you might buy an extra freezer and a meat saw with grinder and a vacuum packer (new the 3 of them could be obtained for less than 600 US$) and fill your freezer up with meat. For the price of store bought meat, you will likely come out ahead on the volume of meat, and have all those tools to boot.

3. Ross

To clarify I can afford to keep them its another farmer selling good stock too cheap. I feel sorry for him but I'll replace my marginal ewes with better at $25 pr head! The US reg affecting me is the BSE ban on ruminants (might affect horses too) which is bizzare because Scrapie is not BSE (or a human health risk) but sheep and goats can not be imported live into the USA the same as cattle. We can export processed meats to the USA so long term we'll (Canadians) will get American jobs if the ban lasts too long. No offence but that suits me fine as I can weather this low price thing for a few years need be. Freezers full of meat are a good thing but I'll get mine Govt. inspected so I can sell it. Meat cutting may be a good job but too regulated for me to own machines. Interesting but the companies building the new packing plants in Alberta are the same ones who own the US plants. Wonder why that is?

4. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

"Interesting but the companies building the new packing plants in Alberta are the same ones who own the US plants. Wonder why that is?"

Cheap, cheap. Get the meat cheaper, sell higher. Better export opportunities, perhaps?

5. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Ross, concerning the beef not coming across the border, may not be live but it is coming across frozen in boxes.... go figure... :no:

6. Ross

I know, the real losers are American workers. I'm thinking they're in Union shops and the Packers are using a back door union busting technique? Beats me seems like there's some serious cash politics at work not real science though.

7. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Can't believe those cheap prices.

I'm curious what prices are around the United States. Is there any periodical publication that breaks down sheep prices according to breed and area of the country? Seems like some agricultural college would offer that information.

I never have time to go to auctions. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to when I retire.

8. Ross

Auction results for the Embrum sale barn here in Ontario. Check out the price for Sheep all weights, now knock off the $1.50 of the association, 5 for trucking and about 5 for the sale barn fees. Nasty stuff. I'll check for American prices.

9. Ross

I don't know how good this is, I get my Aemrican numbers from the farm papers i get. Looks decent enough and I did have it bookmarked. Texas Auction prices

10. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

http://www.ams.usda.gov/LSMNpubs/index.htm
    Index

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/ssauction.htm
    snip
    Slaughter Sheep Auctions
    SLAUGHTER LAMBS:
    few Choice 64-95 lbs 93.00-103.00.
    SLAUGHTER SHEEP: few 28.00-45.00. (Belknap auction)

DIRECT
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/ssdirect.htm
    snip (there's more under Sheep....direct)

MOUNTAIN AREA AND WESTERN U.S. SHEEP REPORT (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Dakotas, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and California ) Feeder lamb trading slow, at a standstill in most areas as delivery of lambs in the western states is nearly completed. Demand moderate. Comparable sales lambs under 100 lbs steady to firm, over 100 lbs steady to weak. Sales with overnight stand or fob equivalent 4% shrink.

Current delivery unless noted. Medium and Large 1-2 Wooled Lambs CO 2,100 Hd 90-100 lbs $105.00-108.00 per cwt Load 80-110 lbs, avg 95 lbs at 100.00 per hd WY 800 Hd 105 lbs 101.50 MT 500 Hd Western Mt Pool, 80-100 lbs, avg 92 lbs 104.46 UT 3,000 Hd 95-105 lbs 104.25 NV 1,500 Hd 90 lbs 115.00, .25 slide/lb both ways from 90 lbs ND 2,300 Hd Load 80 lbs 122.00; few loads 90 lbs 110.00-112.00 MN 600 Hd Load 82 lbs 109.00 del in from out of state 500 Hd

Native lambs 95-105 lbs 85.00-90.00

Slaughter ewe trading slow this week. Demand moderate to good for limited supplies. Larger than normal percentage of ewes held back in herds for breeding this fall or aged ewes sold for breeders in mid- western states.

Ewes closing 2.00-3.00 lower. Utility and Good 1-3 Slaughter Ewes (Sl. Thin to Medium flesh) UT 900 Hd 160-180 lbs 38.00-40.00, late 38.00. Thin fleshed at 25.00 WY 600 Hd 140-160 lbs 35.00-37.00, thin fleshed 30.00 MT 300 Hd 150-160 lbs 35.00, thin fleshed 30.00

11. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member