Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Looks great! I have some of those crook neck squashes and they're just starting to get big enough to pick. I like them fried.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
WIHH, I planted a variety from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange last year and again this year and I'm quite happy with it. It's only called "Sugar Snap". It gets tall (needs a trellis; I use livestock panels hung on t-posts) and produces long and well. Although many of my vines are now yellowing, they are STILL producing, though not heavily, and we've had weeks of high 80s and low 90s in the daytime.

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=15501&Category_Code=SNPEA

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wonderful photo's and what a great harvest! I tried an experiment this year with the crooknecks. 2 plants from seed from Baker Creek and 2 from Gourneys, both ar loaded with flowers. So far I have picked 3 squashes from Baker Creek nothing from Gourneys yet.

Cukes, I am growing tellegraph and lemon. Lots of flowers again, and I can see the lemon cukes starting to form and only a few of the tellegraph.

Sugarsnap peas, not too much luck, but I have gotten some but made a mistake by buying the seed that only grows 24" instead of poles. Very small pods, next year I will know better. But my snow peas are still producing and really got a lot from them.

I think what I am really impressed with are the purple beans. They have produced wonderful dark purple, tender, long delishious beans and will plant double next year. Also, some white italian dry beans have really produced very well and are still producing.
joyce

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WIHH, they were Sugar Snaps from Gurneys.I bought a trellis netting(mesh fencing) from Parks.My peas have done wonderfully on it and are easy to see and pick.I also followed the 'companion planting chart' this year- maybe that did it- or, it's our pond water that we've watered with!!!! It's raining the "real stuff" right now-that's sure to help everything! -Robin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts