Cucumbers rubbery and tasteless

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leah IL, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

:mad: I just picked the first few cucumbers of the year and they are just awful! I grow cucumbers every year and look forward to them because they are so crispy and sweet from the garden... I don't know what happened! I am thinking maybe they suffered too much from the lack of rain. I watered them a bit, but not much. If that is the case, not enough water, is it possible for me to save the crop by watering now or is it too late? I have lots of flowers and little cukes, but only a few have been large enough for picking.

Thanks guys-
    Leah

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Cucs sure do get rubbery when they haven't had enough rain! Until recently we have had a really dry summer!!! They will probably do ok if they haven't been too stressed by the lack of water. I mulched mine really well and then water them deeply a couple of times a week at least. I think that they take more water than most other things, except for maybe eggplants or squash. I bet they will be ok with plenty of water though....no harm to try anyway!!!

3. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

You hit it right on the head. Not enough water. They are very thirsty plants. It's not too late - give 'em a drink!

4. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Thanks- I'll try to revive them. What a pain this drought is- I really feel bad for our farmers here.