cucumber salad - bread and butter pickles -- the same???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cc-rider, Aug 21, 2004.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I've never made pickles before (well....maybe 30 years ago and I don't remember how anymore!). I was looking up recipes for bread and butter pickles. It seems to be just like the "cucumber salad" that I make in the summer. Sliced cucumbers, onions, vinegar, sugar, and water. And some spices. Let them sit a day or so and then eat.

But the bread and butter pickle recipes seem to be the same ingredients.... how can that be? Is cucumber salad actually bread and butter pickles???

2. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

To everyone I know, they are different. The cucumber salad is a dish you mix up and let set in the fridge, and the bread and butter pickles are processed in a boiling water bath.
    Heather

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I think the cucmber salad is MUCH thinner slice....and tends to "wilt" while the bread and butter pickles are, well, like pickles.

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

CC Rider - can I get that "summer cucumber salad "recipe from you ?! I havent been able to find one !! Grandma used to make that !!

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...this thread reminded me of the goofy thing my husband said last night. He's a "city" boy and we were talking about relish, etc. He told me that he didn't like pickled vegetables (beets, etc.) and I asked him why he ate so many pickled cucumbers. LOL...he said, "I would NEVER eat a pickled cucumber". When I told him his Dill Pickles were cucumbers he didn't believe me.

I about fell out laughing. :haha:

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Ravenlost,
    I hope your husband isn't like my son. I used to make fried mush, & it was his favorite food for breakfast. I had told him it was fried "Johnnycakes". One day, I forgot & said something about it being fried mush, & he never ate another bite of it. Can't boys be silly?

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    If he's like my husband, he also considers pickles a primary vegetable.

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I told him he probably thinks peanuts grow on trees.

9. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'm not sure what a REAL recipe would be, but this is how *I* do it....

1 part vinegar
    1 part sugar
    2 parts water

Mix everything together, dissolving sugar. Pour over sliced cucumbers. Can add sliced onions if you have them, too. Add a bit of ground pepper and salt if desired. Best if you let it set a few hours. Keep refrigerated.

After all the cucumbers are gone, I reuse the brine for another batch. If it tastes too watered down, simply add another small portion of vinegar and sugar (equal parts). I can usually figure two batches of cucumbers to each batch of brine.

If you don't like the proportions, cut back on the vinegar or sugar the next time, although I like it this way.

Anyway... I think I made it sound much more complicated than it really is! Hope it is what you were looking for!