cucs and zucchini

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

ok, i have read a little on here as to the cross-pollination of certain squash and with cucumbers. is it ok to plant zuchini next to cucumbers? i forget what i have read.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it's only a problem if you save seed. if they cross the next generation will be a hybrid of the two.

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

marvella is right. This year, you MAY get a cuke or two or a zuke or two that have characteristics of the other, but very few.

Also, if you save the seed, and the cucumbers are hybrids, the seeds won't be true. Straight eights are the ones I've had the best luck with in saving seeds and getting them to come back true.

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Cross breeding isn't always a bad thing. I have a volunteer squash that looks like nothing I've ever planted (or seen). Ate one last night and it was delicious.

5. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) and Zucchini (Cucurbita pepo) are both cucurbits, but different species and genus. Cross-pollination generally happens within the same species (like a Zucchini with an Acorn squash). I don't think there's any reason to worry about cross-pollination.

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Here is a chart of the gourd (Cucurbitaceae) family broken down into genus and species that I find helpful.

http://www.garden-helper.com/Learn/charts_and_tables/gourd_family_members.asp

Any two of a species can cross freely. Crosses between genus do not occur.

The only crossing which occurs between species is in the genus Cucurbita (pepo, moschata, maxima, ficifolia, mixta). Pepo will cross with moschata. Maxima will cross with moschata. Pepe will not cross with maxima. Pepo can cross with mixta. (According to All About Vegetables)