Cub or Pork Chop?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TxCloverAngel, Jun 15, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Hubby sent this to my e-mail today!
    wow!

In a zoo in California, a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs.

Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were
    born pre-maturely and due to their tiny size, they died shortly after birth.

The mother tiger after recovering from the delivery, suddenly started to decline in health, although physically she was fine. The veterinarians felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. The doctors decided that if the tigress could surrogate another mother's cubs, perhaps she would improve.

After checking with many other zoos across the country,the depressing news was
    that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother.

The veterinarians decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment. Sometimes a mother of one species will take on the care of a different species.

The only "orphans" that could be found quickly, were a litter of wiener pigs. The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger. Would they become cubs or pork chops???

This is incredible.

Click on pics for full sized view.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that story Dana. It is so sweet and amazing! I have to laugh as I wonder how the pigs will grow up to behave, learning from such an unusual mom.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Wow! That is awesome. Thanks for posting the story and the excellent photos :baby04:

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

A future National Geographic Special will feature the Ferocious Striped Yorkshires as they take down Gazelles by the jugular on the plains of the Sarhengeti. Like Momma like daughter,LOL.

5. TxCloverAngel

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

First there was Great White Yorkshires eating Sea Lions and now there are Ferocious Striped Yorkshires taking out Gazelles in Africa. Are people who raise Yorks going to have to obtain special licences to keep them? Will there be a Yorkshire Registry like our Gun Registration?

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Nah, they will simply require an acre pen with 12 ft. fencing plus an additional 3 ft. underground and an electrified wallow area. You can bring one home after you pass the permitting test. Oh, and your homeowner's insurance rates will go up :)

8. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

9. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

thanks kanpope and it is deffinatly still cool.:) I often wonder how these strange rumors get started, ive never heard of snoops.com before, i have got to visit there more often.:)

10. TxCloverAngel

awh man! well.... I still also think they are cute :) Chalk me up as another gullible one helping "spread" the rumor.

cool site btw

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link kanpope.