Crystallized Honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Ranchermom, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

When we had pulled the honey last year it was fine looking then later it started crystallizing really fast. I am pretty new to this so wondering why its doing this so fast cause it didn’t do that at our last place. I am thinking because its nearer cotton now? Some old timer told me that.

If we keep it in warm spot it usually ok, but as soon as it gets cold it crystallizes. Any advice?

Sam

2. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Different types of honey will crystallize easyer than others, clover honey is very easy to cryst. I have read sourwood will not cryst. If it does cryst.,Ive found the best way to liquify it is to set it in your car with the windows up, it will liquify that way with out having to heat it in a water bath on the stove.

3. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Funny that you mentioned that I left a pint in my car one day not knowing what to do with it and it melted right down! I am hoping this is safe?

Sam

4. Jack Parr

Jack Parr Well-Known Member

Of course leaving honey in a car in south Texas will certainly do the trick of de-crystallizing it. That would be just like placing crystallizes honey in a water bath and raising the temp to around 140 degrees F, which is what is recommended. Actually a good idea really, something useful to do with a piece of junk that usually just sits around :cool: . Saves energy too. :angel:

Clover is what I have here and have had no problems with crystallization so far. Possibly extracting too much un-capped honey will more readily cause it to crystalize, however I don't know that for sure.

I have a thermomether in my pick-up and have seen temps at 140 F when parked in the hot sunshine.

Might be a good wax melter also :rock:

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<I am hoping this is safe?>>

Definitely! Might have changed the flavor a little is all.